Author Topic: New folder - Whippet Bicycle  (Read 3136 times)

New folder - Whippet Bicycle
« on: 09 March, 2017, 07:03:06 pm »
Spotted in the Bike West Midlands Network news roundup (I think the designer's local): http://www.whippetbicycle.com

So far they only seem to have released a bunch of teaser photos on Instagram, and are launching at Bespoked in April. I can't imagine a British-built folder launching at Bespoked is going to be cheap...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: New folder - Whippet Bicycle
« Reply #1 on: 09 March, 2017, 09:19:33 pm »
doesn't look cheap from that photo. Seems designed with Gen Y and Millenials in mind
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:30:53 am »
Looks interesting, will keep an eye on this one, and see what reviews say
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

« Reply #3 on: 06 April, 2017, 08:49:28 am »
More info on the website this morning; looks like an interesting fold, though perhaps more suited to appartment storage than public transport. Fillet-brazed Columbus and Reynolds tubes, too - though tucked away in the FAQ is the detail that they expect a 'high-quality mid-range' model to cost about £3k...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4 on: 06 April, 2017, 08:55:21 am »
Is it just me or does it feel like, with every "folder for the next generation" that comes along, the Brompton design just seems better and better?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #5 on: 06 April, 2017, 05:43:08 pm »
Hmm, the fold looks like a mess and unfolded not so great either.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #6 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:30:39 pm »
some of the ideas are good and welcome, but overall the design lacks practicality and versatility

« Reply #7 on: 07 April, 2017, 07:45:14 am »
Just had a look at the photos - on the plus side, it's visually looks more appealing than some folders and looks like it probably has reasonable components. I also like the name :-)

On the (major) downside, the fold looks not very useful at all, not even for packing for airline travel, as it's quite an awkward shape. Also doesn't seem to have any obvious luggage carrying options.

Can't see myself having any use for it.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:36:49 am »
Pros: Bigger wheels than a Brompton means it will roll a lot quicker.  More gears.

Cons: Everything else.  The fold is stupid (Brompton patents may prevent them putting the wheels side-by-side), the geometry looks very weird and having a removable seatpost is crazy.  And £3000 for a mid-range model is having a laugh - they'll barely sell a handful.

The only folder I can think of that really challenged the Brompton in advanced design (Dahon has the cheap, effective but not-quite-as-small end of the market sorted) was the Mezzo, but that suffered from needing to unlatch the front wheel when folding it.  What could possibly go wrong?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:44:19 am »
Folding and unfolding takes about a minute.

It weighs 11.5kg and has no convenient way to be picked up and carried.

No thanks, give me an Airnimal instead
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2017, 08:50:11 am »
I'm trying to think why it weighs so much? I'm also trying to imagine what bikes (plural!!) that you could buy for £3,000.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #11 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:15:35 am »
I'm trying to think why it weighs so much?
It has a lot of hinges. Hinges and bolts are heavy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 07 April, 2017, 11:47:02 pm »
On the (major) downside, the fold looks not very useful at all, not even for packing for airline travel, as it's quite an awkward shape.

It's a London flat fold, isn't it?  Designed to minimise the number of square inches of floor taken up by the folded bike, to the detriment of everything else.  I suppose that'll help it fit behind the bathroom door, but doesn't look much use for multi-modal transport.