Author Topic: Castelli Nanoflex kneewarmers  (Read 1076 times)

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
Castelli Nanoflex kneewarmers
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:29:37 pm »
They stay up. That's the best I can say.

However, they are simply tapered tubes with no allowance for the shape of a human leg, so at every pedal-stroke they bunch up behind the knee, where they pinch and abrade the skin. I've just done 100k in the damned things and I have hot, sore areas over each hamstring.  I should think that beyond 200k they'd draw blood.

Torn between  :(>:( and  :demon:

I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

Re: Castelli Nanoflex kneewarmers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:08:48 pm »
That was exactly my experience, too. They left the back of knees red raw.

I sent them back, exchanging them with a pair of Endura kneewarmers, which have been fine.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 07:28:58 pm »
I thought it was me!  Felt generally weird the only time I've worn them (on a short trip luckily).  Will try and return.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:14:17 pm »
There's a new version that seems to have taken these issues into account.
Having said that, I've always found the "old" version fine.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:04:02 pm »
I have the same problem with Sportful No Rain - so much so, I gave up on them - I think it's just kneewarmers - they all make the back of my knee sore.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:04:32 am »
Sportful no rain were the same for me too.

I've now got some Craft knitted knee warmers. You literally forget you are wearing them. They are pretty windproof, cope well with showers and are warm. They are not going to perform the technical trickery of the no-rain type knee warmers, but as simple, effective knee warmers they are excellent. They do need to be positioned quite high up your thigh to stay put, but this is largely due to my skinny legs I suspect!

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:27:55 am »
My old ones were Santini, and were brilliant. After 10 years the elastic is a bit iffy, though.  I think I'll get another pair.
I dare eat all that may become a man.

But hold the oysters.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:17:56 pm »
I bought some cheap 'Raptor' branded ones from eBay.  They are great

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 12:36:19 pm »
I have the same problem with Sportful No Rain - so much so, I gave up on them - I think it's just kneewarmers - they all make the back of my knee sore.
I do believe that all my knee-warmers have just been the "tapered tubes" that T42 refers to - but I've never had the soreness problem. So I guess I'm just lucky with the shape of my legs. Perhaps enough riders are lucky in this way to keep the kneewarmer-knitters in business!

It certainly seems reasonable to "shape" them to the human form.

(If you do get on wiv "unshaped" ones, my current favourite bargains are from Decathlon. Very durable. Longer than most, but still nowhere near "leg warmer" length.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:37 am »
They sound dreadful.
I have some old northwave 'woolly tight' legwarmers that I would cry if I lost. They are warm, not sweaty, seem to repel light drizzle and don't get soaked. I don't think they are made anymore  :(
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 10:13:02 am »
DHB knee warmers (and leg warmers, and arm warmers) are all "tailored" with several panels.

The knee warmers are intrinsically bent-knee shape.

I don't see the point in Nanoflex knee warmers tbh, nanoflex isn't waterproof, it just delays it a bit (I have their arm warmers).  I have their superb Gabba jersey though.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 02:33:02 pm »
I'm a fan of the Nanoflex arm warmers and have got a couple of pairs, though I haven't tried the leg/knee warmers. I did try the Sportful No Rain leg warmers, which I hated and ended up giving away - they were too long, chafed at the top (especially when it rained) and cut in to my thighs (at least in a size large; I didn't bother trying the XL because I assumed they'd have been even longer!).

I have a general dislike of knee/leg warmers, though - they seem overwhelmingly to be designed for men without leg fat. I've now settled on Madison Sportive (on the basis of this review) and they're definitely the best I've used, though not perfect as they can slip a bit.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 02:41:43 pm »
I have a general dislike of knee/leg warmers, though - they seem overwhelmingly to be designed for men without leg fat. I've now settled on Madison Sportive (on the basis of this review) and they're definitely the best I've used, though not perfect as they can slip a bit.

After brief experimentation, I've settled for solving this particular problem by just using 3/4s for everything.  While they don't like getting cold, I've never suffered from knees that were too hot.  Makes for stupid tanlines, thobut.

Arm warmers are difficult enough.
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 07:44:37 pm »
I've got a pair of Nanoflex bib three-quarters, which I bought on the basis of wanting some bib three-quarters and these being the cheapest available in a size that would fit me. I hadn't realised they'd be quite so warm; all roubaix-like inside. Even when I got them in February (or was it March?) they were too warm, and I'm someone who generally dresses warm on the bike.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.