Author Topic: Ebooks - follow up to my Ereader thread  (Read 2200 times)

Ebooks - follow up to my Ereader thread
« on: 08 August, 2017, 03:06:54 pm »
So I'm thinking of getting a new ereader to replace an old kindle and kick start my reading habit again. Basically a long time ago I got into reading books then my kindle. Things happen and I got so far out of the reading habit I'm not sure I could read a whole book. Well not in one reasonable hit, currently read books over years.

So my question to you good people is what should I read? What would I like?

Nothing too hard right? Oh! Clues needed. Well I hit late school/uni years loving the whole distopian thing of George Orwell but especially Aldous Huxley. Joseph Heller and catch 22 hit a chord. I used to buy all the Baldacci thriller books for a few years when they came out but he's gone off the boil IMHO. IIRC he's even co-authored one of his books in a series he writes.

I like thrillers that grab early on, some spy thrillers. I think there was one I liked (bought it twice by.mistake) set before during and after WWII in eastern Europe along the Danube IIRC by Furst.

I liked JRR Tolkien too but can't get past the stodgy Silmarillion, unfinished tales and the other less read books. Just wish he'd done something the calibre of the rings, even the Hobbit is a nice read (read it at 14/15 quickly followed by the rings and purchases of a few others that I couldn't get through). I have read Conan Doyle, G K Chesterton, Bram Stoker, Homer, Thucydides and some other classics. Used to be big into Homer in primary school, albeit in easier versions I reckon, translated a bit at gcse too.

I think I ticked 44 or so in the 100 classics list in that American library website list. Not interested in the Bronte type of book or the books those who are into would like so there's a lot ruled out among that 100 list.

So anyone got any ideas? Open to fantasy (within reason if based on northern European mythology), thrillers (no Stephen king or scary thrillers) and even non-fiction (biographies bore me especially sporting ones).

I guess this is an ideas thread. Ideas for interesting reads but also how do you find interesting reads for kindle? Is there a trick for randomizing the search function to get interesting reads? No point buying an ereader if you can't find new books, authors, etc to interest you.

Re: Ebooks - follow up to my Ereader thread
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:15:10 pm »
This is why I like using the online library - it doesn't cost me (more) to browseread - check out books, start them and only carry on reading if I like them.

Try Pat Barker's books - the regeneration trilogy and then the WWII books. Really excellent.

If you have liked fantasy in the past, I suggest trying Robin Hobbs. Start with Assassin’s Apprentice.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2017, 03:21:44 pm »
You have to buy kindle books to browse I thought. Would be good if you can yet say the first 20 pages then pay if it interests you. I'm usually well engrossed in the story or it's stacked on a dusty shelf by then.

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2017, 04:20:48 pm »
If you have a smartphone, try the Overdrive app. It doesn't cost anything. You just need to visit your library and sign up.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2017, 05:59:35 pm »
You have to buy kindle books to browse I thought. Would be good if you can yet say the first 20 pages then pay if it interests you. I'm usually well engrossed in the story or it's stacked on a dusty shelf by then.

You can get a free sample of any Kindle book – usually the first 30-ish pages.

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:11:36 pm »

You can get a free sample of any Kindle book – usually the first 30-ish pages.

Just download a sample? You know I think I did it on a tablet with the kindle app once. Good idea.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2017, 08:13:48 pm »
Yes, click the 'send me a sample' option (I forget the actual wording, but there's on every Amazon e-book page). You can then opt to buy it at the end of the sample.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #7 on: 08 August, 2017, 09:45:59 pm »
There is also a 'Look Inside' button to view in your browser.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #8 on: 08 August, 2017, 10:55:31 pm »
+1for Robin Hobbs
Anne Macaffrey as well

You can return kindle books for a refund

Thrillers
Quintin Jardine   Skinner series
Ian m Banks.

Gimenez.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2017, 12:01:36 am »
+1 for Iain Banks (with or without an M)
Also Charles Stross, for a not too serious fantasy/sci-fi/horror sort of thing. He has released a few stories under a Creative Commons licence, so you can download them for free.

For classic books, a lot of it is now out of copyright, so is available for free from Project Gutenberg.

« Reply #10 on: 11 August, 2017, 01:28:29 pm »
Amazon. Kindle store. Enter £0 and that will bring up what is free that day.

Also sub to: Bookbub which also has free books pretty much every day and TheBookHippouk does the same.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

« Reply #11 on: 13 August, 2017, 11:11:39 am »
+1for Robin Hobbs
Anne Macaffrey as well

You can return kindle books for a refund

Thrillers
Quintin Jardine   Skinner series
Ian m Banks.

Gimenez.

You never actually owned them in the first place!

« Reply #12 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:17:41 pm »
You never actually owned them in the first place!

Book-burning will be so much easier and less dramatic one day..
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #13 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:52:56 pm »
There's Kindle Unlimited, which is £8 a month, free reading from whatever the current list is (currently showing 1,642,906 results). Amazon Prime also gets you a smaller selection of free ebooks ("more than a thousand").
Both selections change every month, to some extent at least.

Having said that, and then browsed the first 15 or so pages of a couple of categories (History, Science & Maths), there doesn't seem to be a lot there that I'd have considered paying much for.

For classic books, a lot of it is now out of copyright, so is available for free from Project Gutenberg.
It may also be worth checking Gutenberg Australia and Gutenberg Canada.
The Canadians didn't slavishly follow suit when the Americans extended the copyright limit after the author's death, and the Australians took the view that once out of copyright, always out of copyright.

« Reply #14 on: 16 September, 2017, 12:44:05 pm »
Nasa have released freebie on satellite views of Saturn.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #15 on: 18 September, 2017, 12:15:10 pm »
So anyone got any ideas? Open to fantasy (within reason if based on northern European mythology), thrillers (no Stephen king or scary thrillers) and even non-fiction (biographies bore me especially sporting ones).

I'm not sure how to parse your comment about fantasy.  Do you only like northern-European-mythology fantasies, or do you like fantasy in general, with a caveat about the reasonableness of some northern European stuff?

Not all SK is scary, if that's what you're concerned about.  If you like far-reaching fantasy, this unit recommends Mr King's Dark Tower series (persevere with the first volume - it gets really good later on!).

If you have liked fantasy in the past, I suggest trying Robin Hobbs. Start with Assassin’s Apprentice.

My sister-in-law *raves* about Robin Hobb.  In a good way.