Author Topic: Sticker glue goo  (Read 4749 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sticker glue goo
« on: 14 August, 2017, 01:34:24 pm »
I've just been abroad and my passport has acquired a number of 'temporary' stickers, some of which have left much sticky residue after removal.

What is the best way to remove this?

Re: Sticker glue goo
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:40:36 pm »
Oil (cooking oil smeared on with a finger, or I think I've used GT-85, too) works well for sticker goo, although you may want to use your discretion as to whether that's appropriate for your passport. Leave it to soak in for a few hours and then it wipes off relatively easily once the oil's done its job.

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Glue-Residue-and-Oil-Remover-250ml

While not as good as their previous stuff, which was a gel, this is a liquid which tends to run to places you don't want it. Apart from that, it is effective. It takes a bit of time. You apply, leave for a 10 mins, and wipe off.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:06:59 pm »
Lighter fuel - as in Zippo - as opposed to gas.

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:13:58 pm »
Lighter fuel - as in Zippo - as opposed to gas.
beware, this can remove all ink as well
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:14:36 pm »
White spirit with always remove glue residue, though it will saturate paper.

Isopropyl alcohol may work, and will evaporate more quickly.

There's a risk of removing ink with either substance.

Perhaps moisten a clean cloth with whichever stuff you choose and wipe just the gluey area, then hold the page away from the others while the solvent evaporates. Do this outside for reduced stinkiness.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2017, 03:31:17 pm »
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Glue-Residue-and-Oil-Remover-250ml

While not as good as their previous stuff, which was a gel, this is a liquid which tends to run to places you don't want it. Apart from that, it is effective. It takes a bit of time. You apply, leave for a 10 mins, and wipe off.

That may be have been isopropyl alcohol gel, which is also sold as hand sanitiser gel. Which might work.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:17:52 pm »
The glue goo is on the back cover of the passport, which is coated but not printed.

We use IPA for cleaning lenses so I'll try that, followed by sunflower oil.

« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:30:20 pm »
FWIW, anyone printing these days using solvent-based inks is working in the dark ages.
Lighter fuel, isoprop etc shouldn't affect modern (UV cured) inks.
I'd be surprised if passports were printed using solvent-based inks.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:31:51 pm »
I bought some 'rubbing alcohol' a while ago with the idea of removing sticky sticker glue...it didn't work.
Steady at 15

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2017, 08:48:50 pm »
I bought some 'rubbing alcohol' a while ago with the idea of removing sticky sticker glue...it didn't work.

OH. I might start with something oily then.

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2017, 09:31:39 am »

OH. I might start with something oily then.

It might work for some sticky stuff, and is probably worth having (only a fiver for a bottle on eBay) in the cupboard under the sink ;-)
[edit] If you're trying to get sticky residue off paper or an absorbent surface, I'd try the alcohol first to be honest before going down the oily route.
Steady at 15

« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2017, 10:08:44 am »
IME lighter fluid does the job.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2017, 12:01:18 pm »
A Facebook friend has coincidentally just posted about success using WD40 for sticker goo on a new laptop. Maybe I'll try this as we have WD40.

The passport cover does not appear to be porous.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 15 August, 2017, 12:02:04 pm »
I just leave the stickers on, adds a patina of character to my passport. It's scruffy enough with stains and watermarks. They're amazingly resistant to abuse are passports.

Isopropyl alcohol will remove most adhesive residues. Alternatively, if you don't have a handy light-fingered organic chemist, you can buy commercial stain and gum removers (De-Solv-It seems to be the brand) that work very well (can't remember what they contain, probably perchloroethylene). I'd avoid oily, it'll soak into paper and won't evaporate. None of these should remove ink, as Jurek says, modern printing uses UV curing, especially for permanence on documents like passports, but as ever, test on a small area.

« Reply #15 on: 15 August, 2017, 12:08:08 pm »
Talcum powder might do the trick.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #16 on: 15 August, 2017, 01:56:20 pm »
I don't think I have any talcum powder any more. Unwanted Christmas offerings made their way into puncture repair kit but...

IJL

« Reply #17 on: 15 August, 2017, 02:28:19 pm »
We use IPA for cleaning lenses so I'll try that, followed by sunflower oil.

I took me while to realise you didn't mean India Pale Ale

Lakeland sticky stuff remover works for me, I have used similar from bettaware.

« Reply #18 on: 15 August, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »
I wouldn't use WD40 on anything that's going to be handled; it smells nasty and you would need to clean off any oily residue.

« Reply #19 on: 15 September, 2017, 07:40:46 am »
Before breaking out the oil or other fluids, try masking tape or cellophane.  Stick it on, pull up quickly; some of the goo may stick to it.  Repeat.  Standard practice at our dwelling for removing price stickers, etc.

« Reply #20 on: 15 September, 2017, 03:35:35 pm »
Must admit I just leave them on till they fall off.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 15 September, 2017, 04:44:02 pm »
The worst thing for sticker glue is when they put a sticker around the power cable for something.  After a while, the label works loose and slides along the cable, exposing the sticky goo underneath, and spreading more further along.   :hand:

« Reply #22 on: 15 September, 2017, 07:48:07 pm »
The worst thing for sticker glue is when they put a sticker around the power cable for something.  After a while, the label works loose and slides along the cable, exposing the sticky goo underneath, and spreading more further along.   :hand:
Especially when said sticker is explaining to how to wire a plug, when that arcane skill isn't needed any more, is better explained on YouTube, and the sticker won't be read by the occasional idiot who needs to be told how to do it and hasn't looked it up.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #23 on: 15 September, 2017, 07:59:13 pm »
I think that sort of thing warrants a lengthy custodial sentence.
Possibly with additional hard labour.
Or Tasering at regular intervals.
I think I might be onna roll here.....

« Reply #24 on: 15 September, 2017, 08:18:41 pm »
On something, certainly!