Author Topic: Broken titanium fork end  (Read 3904 times)

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
Broken titanium fork end
« on: 23 August, 2017, 10:42:37 pm »
My son's 9 year old 2 speed Brompton with all the titanium bits was discovered to have a cracked fork end. The fork end seems to be created by using a press to squash and shape the fork blades rather than welding in a casting.

The odd thing is that when compared with a 2017 Brompton titanium fork end, the 2017 version is about twice as thick. Which makes me wonder if the reason for the increased thickness is a history of failures in the thinner titanium fork ends. What is the collective knowledge on the matter? Has anybody seem anything similar?

TIA
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

Re: Broken titanium fork end
« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2017, 05:18:58 pm »
Yikes, that sucks. I also have a ti/superlight. Can you give me some insight on hos this bike was used?
Rider weight, curb jumper?, cobblestone roads, etc. I'm trying to see if I can avoid the same fate. Any
possibility the factory will warranty?

My 6 speed titanium is from 2013; seems ok so far. Over 200 pounds, don't jump berms/curbs, ride in
pothole riddled streets. But I tend to avoid big holes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNuuT-nRer4&index=37&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2017, 05:31:22 pm »
https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000554605
Apparently 5 years for frame parts.

I've not heard of a Brompton Ti fork failing in this manner before now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #3 on: 19 October, 2017, 09:33:33 pm »
Thought I should draw this thread to a conclusion (with apologies for the delay - I've been busy on holiday) ... Brompton's customer service was excellent and provided a replacement titanium fork foc, despite the bike being out of warranty  :thumbsup:  The new fork ends are indeed thicker than the original ones.

One thing I learned talking to somebody who knows about metallurgy is that titanium, while inherently a strong material, is more brittle than steel. I wonder if this explains why some titanium parts crack due to minor flaws that steel would be able to tolerate?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 19 October, 2017, 10:08:53 pm »
Cynical old me thinks the reason most Ti manufacturers offer a 'lifetime' warranty on a frame is because they know it's going to break.  Working on the assumption that around 5 - 10% of customers will keep the frame for ever, they keep their warranty returns at an acceptable level.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2017, 06:23:30 pm »
Did you get to keep the old fork?

Nelson Longflap

« Reply #6 on: 23 October, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »
Did you get to keep the old fork?
No.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:11:12 am »

Not seen a crack at that end, but a friend here in .nl with a titanium fork had a big crack down the middle of the stearer tube.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2017, 10:21:53 pm »
Cynical old me thinks the reason most Ti manufacturers offer a 'lifetime' warranty on a frame is because they know it's going to break.  Working on the assumption that around 5 - 10% of customers will keep the frame for ever, they keep their warranty returns at an acceptable level.

Very hard to weld successfully.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 13 November, 2017, 09:50:16 pm »

Not seen a crack at that end, but a friend here in .nl with a titanium fork had a big crack down the middle of the stearer tube.

J
That's far nastier. 
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.