Author Topic: Hard riders back in the day  (Read 1530 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Hard riders back in the day
« on: 02 September, 2017, 11:53:44 pm »
Today I was in Horley, partaking of BEER in a sort of pop up bar by the subway. Steph will probably know it.  It's run by a bloke known to all and sundry as Woody, who is not, shall we say, a natural or keen cyclist.  Today strung across the subway was a banner, like this:

Intrigued, I asked the young lady behind the bar what the score was. George Wood is Woody's father, so Woody, plus assembled chums had set out on a replica of ride that George, who was a member of Fountains CC had ridden back in 1937. There was a blown up version of the route card on display, plus other cycling memorabilia from back in 1937.

So far so good. Then I read the columns. The first is simple enough - place names, including some now, presumably, defunct pubs., The next two are the distance of that leg, in miles and furlongs. The next pair elapsed distance, again in miles and furlongs, from which we learn the distance for the day is 232 miles 5 furlongs.  No wonder the start is shown as 0430, and the last refreshment instruction "Drinks accordingly after this".  I suspect today's ride may have been just a section, rather than the whole thing.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Hard riders back in the day
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2017, 03:43:03 pm »
I see lots of milky tea, honey sandwiches and custard rice. Rather like an audax control. Well done Woody, however far it was he went!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.