Author Topic: Humber Bridge 200 23rd Sept  (Read 4300 times)

TJG

Humber Bridge 200 23rd Sept
« on: 18 September, 2017, 01:50:39 pm »
I am all signed up for this which will be my first Audax.
Anyone else from around here going to be there?

Re: Humber Bridge 200 23rd Sept
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2017, 03:32:44 pm »
I am - I haven't done any 200k events since autumn last year, so it may a bit of a challenge even though it's a relatively flat route.  I'm going to use my recumbent based on it being much more comfortable so (I hope) better over a longer distance. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143770804@N02/shares/3iWT94

Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2017, 05:36:12 pm »
I route checked this at the weekend, and it's a brilliant ride.  The first half is gently undulating while you've still got fresh legs, then the second half is as flat as a pancake, with the slight inclination out of Flixborough and the little lump in South Ferriby being the only time you'll trouble your low gears.  The ride takes you through a lot of the same country as the Three Bridges ride that I used to run, but Graeme's route is a lot better  :D  I particularly like his diversion off the B1228, which I don't think I'd ever ridden before - despite living locally - but which is so, so much less boring. 

You're all in for a treat. The weather forecast even looks good  :thumbsup:

paul851

« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2017, 05:41:48 pm »
I have chosen this as my first time out since breaking my shoulder on the Red Rose 200 back in April , that and some real life issues have left Audax on the back burner all summer  :(  On the plus side I will be riding my new to me Longstaff trike rather than my conversion , I just hope I can keep this one on the road  ;D

Paul

KM

« Reply #4 on: 20 September, 2017, 08:55:31 am »
I am all signed up for this which will be my first Audax.
Anyone else from around here going to be there?

The 200 was supposed to be my first Audax in almost 30 years.  Sadly, for various reasons, I've had to drop down to the 100 event. 

(It looks like there will be a good number of riders on Saturday.  I'm riding with a friend who lives in Welton.  Given the popularity of this new event it seems that Graeme is getting a bit concerned about parking in the tiny village - my friend can never even park near her home.  So I plan to park considerately in North Ferriby and cycle through the underpass and over the foot/cycle bridge on the A63.  An alternative outside of Welton would be Elloughton a couple of miles away and the first place I will pass through after setting off from Welton.)

If you've not ridden in the Yorkshire Wolds before I hope you enjoy the lumpy scenery around Thixendale in particular.  You'll have left East Yorkshire by then and passed in to North Yorkshire.  At the time of writing the BBC forecast promises you a refreshing headwind all the way along the flat route from Sheriff Hutton.  Enjoy!

« Reply #5 on: 20 September, 2017, 10:17:17 am »
This will be my first one also, looking forward to it with a bit of trepidation about calibrating my navigation into km rather than the miles I'm used to.
Headwind from Sherriff Hutton to Keadby Bridge - hmm...

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2017, 04:45:17 pm »
Entries closed last night... I did laugh this morning to see someone had entered at 23:59:55 last night.

Anyway: over 75 riders on the 200km event and over 45 riders on the 100km event. Weather looking good - although that headwind might be tough in the middle section.

Parking: I'm delighted that the local school has offered support and have emailed riders to let them know.

The route has been checked and checked and checked - version 5 of the route sheet for the 200km event went out last night. It is so much more challenging getting a new route written up than plotting it on RideWithGPS. I've ridden the route three times and yet typos made it through. Karla (OTP) was kind enough to cast a stranger's eye over the route and ride without GPS, picking up a couple of typos and making some suggestions. The another rider picked up something else. So, all sorted now.

I'm not taking entries on the line because the organisation is too involved. With over 100 riders I can't be doing with second guessing how much cake / coffee / tea etc to buy - and there'll be a banana and pack of haribo sweeties for all starters. There has been much baking going on by the church community and my fellow church-goers are really keen to provide hospitality and warm welcome to cyclists riding distances that they find simply perplexing. We've even switched on the church heating which is likely to cost at least £100 for the day (huge building heated from 4am to 11pm).

It'll be a big weekend too - we have Harvest Evensong on Friday and I need to get that sermon written. There are local schools visiting today, tomorrow and Monday as they think about autumn and harvest-time. Sunday has the two church services, but then we are having an open-day and scarecrow festival too. I've just finished making my straw cyclist and painting a knackered old bike yellow. I'm looking forward to my day off on Monday - when I'll be doing my helper-ride of the Humber Bridge 200.

G.

« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2017, 10:57:48 am »
By tomorrow night you might have a few knackered old cyclists to match the bike - possibly including this one.

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2017, 12:00:47 pm »
Don't say "headwind" ... that will finish me off.

This is my first Audax in a few years. And the longest distance I will have ridden this year. I'm already sleep deprived and it will be an early start to get there from Lancs. So I'll inch around at 10mph ... please say hello to the tired looking woman on a grey hybrid as you pass me :)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2017, 12:20:01 pm »
Really looking forward to seeing you snail. The homefires will be lit waiting for your triumphant return. Hot drinks and cake waiting for you at the end.

« Reply #10 on: 22 September, 2017, 02:00:28 pm »
The wind has dropped today Snail, more of a gentle breeze now  ;)

There's a cafe in Alkborough if anyone is need of caffeine to assist the journey back over the Humber

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »
Phew. And I'm only on the 100.

I won't be cafe stopping, partly because faffing at cafes and controls was always my time-limit downfall, and mostly because I have since developed GORD on top of my crohns, the main symptom being random vomiting, so I have been working out a steady fuelling/eating strategy to counteract that. This means no huge lumps of cake. :(

TJG

« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:06:47 pm »
Im really looking forward to tomorrow :)
I will keep an eye out for you all and hope to be able to say hello.
I will be the one on the Planet X Kaffenback with far more in the way of spare clothes, tools, snacks..etc. than probably required on a 200k ride as I used to packing for a 20k commute or a few days touring.

Im not sure quite how long it will take me but will be thinking of the cake waiting at the finish line:)

« Reply #13 on: 22 September, 2017, 06:38:52 pm »
I am on the (single) trike tomorrow. Lookkng for a social ride and i find the spare wheel is a good conversation opener..

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #14 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:43:24 pm »
I am on the (single) trike tomorrow. Lookkng for a social ride and i find the spare wheel is a good conversation opener..
  I'll keep an eye out for you, although I won't be on my barrow - it needs a few  (well many) pennies spending on it before I attempt anything serious, I am keen to talk / learn from others.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #15 on: 23 September, 2017, 01:32:32 pm »
Important info for anyone on Graeme's Humber Bridge ride; the small bridge over the A161 at Goole is closed, the road diversion is 30 miles, but there is a pedestrian diversion via SOUTH STREET, through the industrial area and across the lock gates at the port onto AIRE STREET. Please pass this on or tag anyone you know of on the ride today!

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #16 on: 23 September, 2017, 01:36:20 pm »
I've texted all riders who gave me a mobile number. Posted to Facebook and Twitter and here.

I hope everyone finds their way around okay. At least the weather is good.

#OrganiserAnxiety

There was no indication of this when the route was checked - but it seems this closure was planned. 2,000 local residents were written to. Shame I live elsewhere.

... Waits patiently at the Arrivee. #CakeMountain

« Reply #17 on: 24 September, 2017, 11:29:38 am »
A good day out Graeme, thanks for organising the ride.  The Goole bridge closure added a bit of 'comedy pedestrian diversion' but I think most of us found a way round it.  It was my first 200 for a while, and my first on the recumbent however it went well.  Nice cake at the end.

At one of the info controls I found myself with four other participants - I was the only one without a beard.  Sadly no sandals though.  Nice sunset as I crossed the Humber Bridge:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/143770804@N02/shares/g8C4j8

« Reply #18 on: 24 September, 2017, 03:34:40 pm »
A good ride out on roads that I have done too many times....but it all helped me to keep the boredom away as I could always keep a running commentary going on as to what was coming up to assist riders etc and being able to point out Welton Church and the finish from the South Bank off the Humber. The route card, not that I needed it as I read it the day before and  fixed it in my mind exactly where we was going was exemplary and joins the ranks of the best I have seen.

As for the Bridge closure, I googled it a short while ago and found that there was a warning about it.......It was posted on the Hull Daily Mail's website back in July and repeated again 4 days ago. I read it online everyday but never saw it......but I do not read the "Traffic and Travel" page so I missed it....lesson learnt before venturing forth. Anyway, the bridge is closed this weekend coming for those who have a desire to recreate the experience.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/full-details-major-bridge-closure-505227

Taking the diversion by road would not have been that tragic distance wise, the 30 mile quoted was from one side of Goole to the other, but were we was going, Keadby Bridge, it would have only added about an additional 6 miles, but it would have put us on the A18, an awfull demoralising road, not busy with traffic, flatter than a pancake, but in about 8 miles, only 3 gentle bends which you could probably take by just leaning the bike, once ridden, never again....unless your training for a time trial.

Went for a recovery ride with the club this morning and that finished me off when I hit the hills and limped home on my own.

Many thanks to Graeme and his helpers for organising a great event.

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #19 on: 24 September, 2017, 07:29:37 pm »
Thank you for a lovely ride, Graeme! It was the perfect return to Audaxing for me. Worth the journey from deepest Lancashire.

I enjoyed the exciting diversion around the docks. I think you should keep that in on future rides :)

Great to meet you, TJG, I hope you got back ok!

One random bloke asked me when I was getting a "proper" bike but he wasn't even on the Audax, he was an 81-year-old out with two mates on an 80-mile ride, who rode with me for a little while.

And huge thanks to all the cake-providers at the end!

Sorry we all kept leaving the church door open and letting the heat out. :(

Might come back to do the 200 next year. On a "proper" bike and everything.

« Reply #20 on: 24 September, 2017, 10:53:28 pm »
I enjoyed the exciting diversion around the docks. I think you should keep that in on future rides :)

I second that. And Graeme has to go and do it now!

It was a lovely day out on the 200 - the Wolds were at their finest when the autumn sun burnt away the early morning mist to reveal the deep clefts and valleys, before we broke out into the flatlands. It was a good day to hook up with mates for the flat bits, and the headwind didn't seem too bad. And I have to say that the lass at the Post Office in Keadby was brilliant - she was really enjoying seeing everyone go through.

Cheers Graeme :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 24 September, 2017, 11:21:12 pm »
Many, many thanks to Graeme - his genuine warmth and hospitality and clear love of having us all there really made the day special!  Loved the depart as the bells tolled 8 at the church and the Wolds looked great in the sunshine.  Got in a good group through the flatlands which lasted until Keadby and really helped with sharing out the effort into the wind. Enjoyed the diversion through the docks too - definitely should be kept in for future editions.

Lashings of cake from the slightly bemused team of helpers and Music to Soothe the Savage Beast wafting delicately over the finishers made for a splendid arrivee.

Nice meeting fellow AUKs at the Green Dragon over a pint too.

Cracking day and a top end to my season.

IJL

« Reply #22 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
A great days riding with some lovely countryside and the Diversion thru the Docks was the best bit of Goole.  I think it might have been the quickest I've ever ridden a 200 largely due to riding with the intercity 125 (VC167) train thru the flat sections.   I hope it runs again next year. 

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #23 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:21:10 am »
Many, many thanks to Graeme - his genuine warmth and hospitality and clear love of having us all there really made the day special!  Loved the depart as the bells tolled 8 at the church and the Wolds looked great in the sunshine.  Got in a good group through the flatlands which lasted until Keadby and really helped with sharing out the effort into the wind. Enjoyed the diversion through the docks too - definitely should be kept in for future editions.

Lashings of cake from the slightly bemused team of helpers and Music to Soothe the Savage Beast wafting delicately over the finishers made for a splendid arrivee.

Totally agree with everything said above, this has to get my prize for event of the year, the village church start, fabulous route, views, scenery, coincidentally the subtle church theme for the route was really good and, interesting. A little guidance from a local in goole proved useful and, the finish was a caketastic treat of epic proportions. Just wonderful.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #24 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:31:38 am »

If you want to push your season out a bit further, there's always Deano's event in a month!