Author Topic: Euro cylinder lock  (Read 1542 times)

Euro cylinder lock
« on: 25 September, 2017, 12:30:44 pm »
I need to replace the upvc front door Euro cylinder lock.

I took it out to measure and found there's a cylinder guard.

Would a 1 star* lock together with the cylinder guard be the equivalent of a 3 star lock in practice?

How good is the cylinder guard at preventing snapping?

*1 star locks do not have anti-snap features, 3 star locks do.

Re: Euro cylinder lock
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2017, 01:15:46 pm »
Not sure what you mean by 1 or 3 stars but cyclinder guards are there to stop drilling and hammer attacks*.  This doesn't effect the type of cylinder you use, but as with all things, you generally get what you pay for with locks.

Is your cyclinder offset, i.e. longer on one side? They're the critical measurements you need.

*Sounds impressive and it can be, if you're using a steel door. It took the SAS two and a half minutes to break throught one of our steel security doors once, and trust me, that was a long time for them. The element of suprise would have been completely gone and in the end they just put some det cord on and blew it up! Not very subtle but effective and as a young lad back then (this was mid 80s) having the SAS visit the factory was seriously cool.

On a UPVC door cyclinder guards ain't going to help. The basic structure of the door just doesn't stand a serious attack. At the end of the day the plastic will buckle and bend way before the metal gives up the ghost.

« Reply #2 on: 25 September, 2017, 01:21:35 pm »
Apparently if the guard is BSI rated 2* then it makes a 1* cylinder equal to a 3* installation.

refhttps://www.abs-secure.co.uk/pages/accreditations

« Reply #3 on: 25 September, 2017, 01:27:56 pm »
This is your home.  Buy and fit the best anti bump, anti snap that you can afford.   

I'll check what we have when I get home and post a link.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #4 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:48:08 pm »
I usually buy UAP locks from amazon as the are recomended by the safer by design.  It is only one star but does all the anti bump, drill etc.

« Reply #5 on: 25 September, 2017, 10:05:39 pm »
Ours is an ABS Avocet.  Highly recommended.

« Reply #6 on: 09 October, 2017, 04:07:16 pm »
I bought the Avocet ABS.

Bottom silver coloured one is the old 1 star lock, with cylinder guard fitted. The external facing end is on the right.

There doesn't seem to be much info about cylinder guards but it seems to me it does help with stopping the cylinder being bent up and down. Without the guard the cylinder is only supported at the weak part where the cam is, and most of that is a hole.

Anyhow I've fitted the new lock together with the old cylinder guard which is pretty as secure as you can get with the existing door and lock mechanism. I know, it's only a plastic door anyway.

« Reply #7 on: 09 October, 2017, 04:14:41 pm »
There is this one which has much more metal at the weak point:

but you would need a new internal mechanism and new handles.