Author Topic: Sailing gloves  (Read 334 times)

Sailing gloves
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:34:35 pm »
Specifically these: https://www.force4.co.uk/windward-deckhand-sailing-gloves-m.html#.WezUgePKvIU but others very similar are available.

I don't like the gel pads found in most cycling pads – I find they concentrate pressure in a small area, which would otherwise be spread throughout the palm – and a ship's electrical engineer I know (he rides with Bristol CTC, when he's not at sea) mentioned he wears these. They're similar to cycling gloves but without padding (and a bit cheaper than many cycling gloves!).

First impressions: they are very comfortable. The material is smooth and seems strong. They have amara synthetic leather palms and fabric backs. The palms are double layer and there's also an extra layer on the inside of the knuckles. The fingers are longer than cycling gloves, finishing on the top knuckle, or even a bit over it on the thumb. This combined with the unperforated back might make them a bit warm for summer, but they're good for autumn. The velcro fastening is on the front of the wrist instead of the back; presumably this is advantageous in some way for sailing, for cycling it doesn't seem to make any difference. I have found the longer fingers make them a bit clumsier when eg using a phone but they don't seem to get in the way while riding. The overall quality seems very good, they feel as if they'll last a long time.

I haven't used them for any long rides yet, will report back when I've more to say.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.