Author Topic: Winter Frolics  (Read 5743 times)

Winter Frolics
« on: 25 October, 2017, 09:57:03 pm »
Any appetite for an inexpensive week of self catering spanish sojourn with bikes provided at the other end. (may have to be half board) say Jan/Feb 18?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Winter Frolics
« Reply #1 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:31:30 am »
Where did you have in mind? And what means of transport?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #2 on: 26 October, 2017, 10:32:08 pm »
May be interested if doable by train, but also mulling that Spain has a law requiring helmet wearing outside towns...

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #3 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:23:33 am »
I have a week booked off work about then. Watching the thread with interest.

I try not to do aeroplanes mind.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #4 on: 27 October, 2017, 10:51:51 am »
I've got 5 days leave to last me until April, so am unlikely to be up for this.  :(  Need to keep some time in reserve .

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:18:25 am »
It's always possible as mllePB has lots of leave left.   We'd both have to get new passports though.

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2017, 12:16:04 pm »
Spain is a bit of an epic by train and much more expensive than flight. Cheap train to South of France is possible via Ouigo but UK end connecting train is very expensive as is bike hire in France. I had the notional sum of £150 in mind. Ferry to north spain may be poss will have a look.

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2017, 05:41:57 pm »
A quick search shows London to Barcelona for example being £160 return - 9.24am out on Sun 4/2 arrive 8.34pm, returning Sat 10/2 same kind of times.

Bookings beyond Barcelona not yet open (damn the advantage that the system gives to airline companies)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2017, 08:51:00 pm »
http://m.brittany-ferries.co.uk/offers/hotel-breaks-spain/coast-and-mountain-escapes
The Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry prices are steep but remarkably they are able to offer these very good package deals. Not till Spring though. Were you thinking of Southern Spain?
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2017, 10:41:46 am »
The Southampton ferry to Santander for peds with a bike is £60 each way (no cabin) but weather in Northern Spain at that time of year not really good enough. Hiring a villa for 8 people in Santander bay for a week varies but around £100 each. Bay of Biscay could be interesting for passengers at that time of year. Barcelona slightly better weather but could also get a little interesting over the next few months! mmmm

Malaga is, apparently, one of the warmest winter locations outside of the Canaries with hostels around the £14 a night mark. Hiring a Brompton for a week is around £70.

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2017, 11:39:46 am »
Unless somebody has a lot of time on their hands then I think flying is the only practical option.   In which case why not head for Catalonia for culture or Andalusia for warmth and scenery, and try to find an appropriate villa or even airbnb apartments?   

I enlightened mllePB to the presence of this last night and she is interested.   We'll have to make a decision soon as we both need to renew our passports.

« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2017, 11:57:12 am »
Eurostar is pretty good and is very convenient currently. However 12 hours + connections on a train does not really appeal (nor 24 hours on a ferry tbh) but would be a bit of an adventure and depends on majority view with tolerance for cost.  People have strong views on transport and related emissions. I just fancy a bit of winter sun with some cycling at reasonable cost before the barriers come down. (Note Shengen boundary reinforcement).

Self catering/Half board with related flights and taxes are available from very cheap upwards in a range of locations.

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2017, 12:02:24 pm »
We do have strong views on emissions but we haven't flown for over a decade so perhaps we could afford a gratuitous trump* in the skies.   

Andalusia is nice.  I'll be taking my running shoes if we join you leaving the cycling in daytime to the mad dogs and english people ...   :D

*  Pun intended - something nasty and smelly and very very very bad for the environment ...

« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2017, 12:07:48 pm »
I have just sent a tentative query about a spanish holiday pad that my brexit supporting client has.   She'll be desperate for our potatoes methinks... 

Cannot remember where it is but I'll get the gen later.

« Reply #14 on: 28 October, 2017, 12:14:10 pm »
Now where is my Pith helmet.....

« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2017, 01:41:27 pm »
Majorca? Cheap to get there, warm, plentiful accommodations and bike hire. Loads of other cyclists.

« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2017, 01:58:39 pm »
Majorca based on hotels and Stanstead mid Feb and two per room.

Self catering from £160

Half board from £200

Inc flight and taxes.

Plus bike hire unless hotel offers free bike, which some do.

« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2017, 04:46:14 pm »
I have just sent a tentative query about a spanish holiday pad that my brexit supporting client has.   She'll be desperate for our potatoes methinks... 

Cannot remember where it is but I'll get the gen later.

Hmmm, sad for her.  The 'cannot lose' investment is losing heavily and she's already trying to sell to stem the losses.   Oh well: Palma, Majorca may be a destination but not in that accommodation.

« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2017, 11:55:57 pm »
A friend's son has a (very) nice rental gaff near Girona, and links to local bike hire places - they're looking at the cycling/wellbeing market. Capacity for 10 or a dozen I think - self-catering or they can lay on grub. 

I can find links and prices if you'd like: I understand it is good value for somewhere nice rather than bargain basement.

« Reply #19 on: 29 October, 2017, 08:54:30 am »
Yes please that would be useful. I assume that there is a coastal bus service?

« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:38:07 am »
Majorca? Cheap to get there, warm, plentiful accommodations and bike hire. Loads of other cyclists.

And fantastic routes. There's something for everyone - great mountain routes, beautiful seascapes and plenty of flat but still interesting routes. Lots of lovely little hilltop towns and villages with cafes and bars that are geared up for visiting cyclists.

We hired bikes from https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://bicimed.com/&prev=search. Excellent service and the bikes were very well maintained.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2017, 11:58:09 am »
Well, I guess I'm out.  The non-flying options don't really look viable, and I booked that week off as it's my birthday, so I'll need to think about doing something else.  So I hope it's a great holiday!   :D :D

Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2017, 12:07:44 pm »
IIRC The first winter outing was in a barn with no heating at -10oC. Then we had a heated bunk house in the snow. Then we've used a comfier heated bunkhouse for a couple years. Now the forum is looking at heading to Spain!

Anyone would think YACFers were growing nesh :P

I don't know at the moment. I could probably find the leave but I'm not sure. I'll just keep watching from the stands for now :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #23 on: 29 October, 2017, 12:53:12 pm »
IIRC The first winter outing was in a barn with no heating at -10oC. Then we had a heated bunk house in the snow. Then we've used a comfier heated bunkhouse for a couple years. Now the forum is looking at heading to Spain!

I don't know at the moment. I could probably find the leave but I'm not sure. I'll just keep watching from the stands for now :-)

Or older & more sensible.... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 29 October, 2017, 12:59:45 pm »

Or older & more sensible.... ;)

Not really, no:  https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105310.0

ETA: Any moderately sensible people interested in a hosteling weekend at some point?  Perhaps organised not to clash with those seeking to make the most of their freedom of movement while they still have it?  Clapham again, maybe?