Author Topic: Dynamo rear light for seatpost mounting  (Read 3927 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Dynamo rear light for seatpost mounting
« on: 01 November, 2017, 11:51:00 am »
I now have a dynohub on my commuter bike and am sold on the ease and convenience of it all, but there's one flaw: the lack of a dynamo rear means that I can still get stranded after dark if I forget to take a rear light!  I'd like to run a rear light off the hub so I've always got lighting wherever I go.  However, most of the dyno rear lights out there seem designed to mount on the back of the rack.  Given my setup (Bike Bureau mounted on a Tortec Velocity, this will cause two problems:

1) The rack is rather narrow (solvable with a B&M Toplight Mini)
2) The Bike Bureau is canted and sticks out behind the rack, so any rack-mounted light won't be visible from the left. 

ISTM the easiest solution is to mount a rear light on the seat tube.  What dyno lights are there that are either designed or easily bodgeable for this purpose?  They'll also preferably be inexpensive ones (i.e. not Schmidt) as the bike gets left around, so I don't want to fit anything I can't afford to lose.

Kthxbai

Chris N

Re: Dynamo rear light for seatpost mounting
« Reply #1 on: 01 November, 2017, 12:22:54 pm »

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 01 November, 2017, 01:01:40 pm »
I've bought a Secula to attach to my mudguard.  It's a development of a light Butterfly has, which is very good, but larger.
Getting there...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #3 on: 01 November, 2017, 01:24:45 pm »
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/busch-muller-secula-linetec-rear-dynamo-light-seat-post-seat-stay-fitting/

Or various mudguard mount options (if your bike has mudguards). :thumbsup:

Thanks.

Yes I've got mudguards, but the bottom of the rear one has broken of so I'd end up pointing the light at the sky.  This should work though.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 01 November, 2017, 01:47:11 pm »
I have a mudguard-mounted Secula. I've been told it's "very bright". I had to mount it lower than I'd consider ideal in order to keep it horizontal, but I've noticed that the Yo bikes (local hire scheme), which have lights fitted into the dropouts, stand out very well, so probably this is not a problem. I've seen the seatpost-mounted version and it's equally good.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 01 November, 2017, 02:13:09 pm »
The Secula is a nice light.  I used one on IndyPac and was able to mount it to the vertical strut of my rack. 

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #6 on: 01 November, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
The Secular comes in two flavours mudguard mount and tube mount... It's a large cable tie so may well do a seat post tube.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #7 on: 01 November, 2017, 03:04:30 pm »
mllePB's rear light on her audax bike is one of these mounted to the seatpin.  It's a fabulous bit of kit in every respect.

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2017, 03:10:31 pm »
an ear light

BTW joking aside I think the secula is pretty good too.  The bracket has a bolt and a swivel, so that it can be adjusted for angle or mounted on some other kind of bracket quite easily.

cheers

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2017, 03:41:39 pm »
I have a Secula attached to a Carradice Bagman using a Hebie bracket (one of these). Don't know if you could use one of those brackets on your Tortec rack though.

Anyway, the Secula can indeed be attached to the seatpost, so that would work. Damn good lights too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2017, 05:03:44 pm »
I haven't got one because my bikes have racks and it'd be silly not to use them to mount rear lights on, but I've seen Seculas in the wild (both flavours) and been impressed with their balance between visibility and obnoxiousness.

« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2017, 05:10:36 pm »
What light have you got on the front?

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #12 on: 01 November, 2017, 06:47:38 pm »
I likewise have a mudguard mounted Secula, I can stop round at some point if you want to see how bright/obnoxious they are in real life.
The seat stay/post mounted version is also available from Spa Cycles if you are in the Starbeck area and want to have a look at them.
https://spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s198p3114/BUSCH-and-MULLER-Secula-Plus
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #13 on: 01 November, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »
I've ordered the one that Chis N linked to.  On the front I've got some variety of Cyo Premium.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #14 on: 01 November, 2017, 07:23:08 pm »
can the secula be disassembled and put back together easily? i'd want to modify it a bit.

« Reply #15 on: 01 November, 2017, 08:19:13 pm »
you can take the bracket off the seat pin mounting version easily, and use something else instead, not sure about getting at the workings inside.

cheers

« Reply #16 on: 01 November, 2017, 08:55:22 pm »
The secula seems small but has fantastic optics that 'spread' the light. Take care mounting on a seat stay as in the wet, surface tension can short a connection between the light and a steel seat stay. Thank you Ritchie Tout for spotting that on the BC400.

« Reply #17 on: 01 November, 2017, 10:49:11 pm »
not sure about getting at the workings inside.
It's glued together firmly enough that the edges of the two halves will break if you lever it apart.

I had a mudguard version, and when I tried to take it off the bolt started just spinning, so I had to open it to get it off. The bolt should be kept under tension whilst you undo the nut, which I failed to do.