Author Topic: Rim vs tyre width  (Read 1168 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Rim vs tyre width
« on: 05 November, 2017, 02:54:35 pm »
I'm thinking about swapping my existing dyno set up to the road bike from the recumbent.

The dyno hub is on a 26" wheel vs 700C so would need moving across.  My only 32h rim is an Alexx rims 14mm wide (I think, from the sticker on it).  I'm running 28mm tyres on that bike at the moment.  The tyre charts put it at 28mm as the upper end for a 15mm rim, but not OK for a 13mm.

Would this work? Or better of starting from scratch with a new rim?  I could just sell the dyno wheel as it's a disc hub vs rim brake, but it's barely used and I know I'll not get what I paid for it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Rim vs tyre width
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2017, 03:20:16 pm »
IME you will be fine with a 28mm tyre on a 13mm rim, provided you keep the tyre pressure up fairly well. At low pressures the tyre will tend to be laterally unstable, which may or may not trouble you.

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2017, 04:06:11 pm »
I've got a 28mm tyre on a *checks* 13.7mm rim, and it's fine.

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2017, 07:50:25 pm »
It will probably works, BUT, a 28mm tyre on a 13mm  rim will looks and rides like a skinny tyre. I mean the ride will be very harsh. If you want to benefit from the softer ride a wider tyre can offer, then you will need a wider rim.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2017, 07:53:21 pm »
Thanks all, I'll measure and see what it actually is, tag indicates 14mm, but tolerances etc.

I tend to run my tyre marginally less than the 1 bar per 10kg, so 6-6.5bar for my 67kg. Worked OK this weekend although I think I could probably even go lower.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens