Author Topic: Food fails from around the world  (Read 13121 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Food fails from around the world
« Reply #25 on: 15 December, 2017, 12:08:53 am »
I like how Bobb cites Northerners for weirdness and in the next breath berates Cockneys for jellied eels.  :sick:

Oscar's Dad would agree about the eels BTW...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #26 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:19:54 am »
Cuban food. All of it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #27 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:04:46 am »
I read the ingredients in the haggis I bought quite recently: sheeps' lungs, beef fat, oats, salt spices.

We quite like haggis but the ingredients aren't precisely classy!

Aye well, the laird took the good stuff.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #28 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:07:02 am »
I read the ingredients in the haggis I bought quite recently: sheeps' lungs, beef fat, oats, salt spices.

We quite like haggis but the ingredients aren't precisely classy!
I believe the sheep's lungs part is why haggis was banned in the USA. At least until recently.

« Reply #29 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:11:02 am »
Don't think tripe is that popular these days. And as for bull's nadgers............
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

essexian

« Reply #30 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:18:11 am »
A Chip butty  A sandwich filled with chips- it's just plain wrong and bland greasy food.

I couldn't agree with you more. Northerners are odd  :P

As a Southern (although I have been in the Midlands for 28 years now.....), I love chip sandwiches....as long as there is mayo on at least one slice of bread.

Not sure I get some of the breakfast food stuff our friends from over the pond like... I mean, eggy bread with sugar on????!!!!!  :hand: (they give if some funny name which I forget).

ian

« Reply #31 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:26:08 am »
French toast, obviously, it's what all the French eat.

I quite like it, but I have a sneaking feeling that it's not good for me. It's possibly a heavier American breakfast option than pancakes*.

I don't mind sausage and biscuit even if the gravy isn't gravy. Grits though, no, not really.

*I once ate 10 pancakes. I felt so fat afterwards that I might have a big bouncing pancake baby. The reason I did this was that the people at the next table were discussing how to learn wizardry powers and use them to make themselves successful in Hollywood. They were completely serious (this was in LA, of course) but to be honest, they didn't really know how to go about it. Anyway, I was captivated so I ordered another helping of pancakes so I could pretend not be listening. In retrospect, I should have just ordered another coffee refill but I didn't want to have to dash to the loo during an important part of their conversation.

« Reply #32 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:33:28 am »
Ian, so how does one go about gaining wizarly powers to be a success in Hollywood?
And indeed, which situations would they be useful in?

« Reply #33 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:37:39 am »
I love chip sandwiches....as long as there is mayo on at least one slice of bread.

Arghh! There is no place for mayonnaise on chips. Salt and vinegar, yes. Curry sauce, yes. Even gravy. Even all of them together. But mayonnaise? No. That's just wrongness....

Edit: And calling mayonnaise "mayo" should be a crime. I assume that name only came about because Americans can't spell mayonnaise...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

essexian

« Reply #34 on: 15 December, 2017, 11:47:39 am »
I love chip sandwiches....as long as there is mayo on at least one slice of bread.

Arghh! There is no place for mayonnaise on chips. Salt and vinegar, yes. Curry sauce, yes. Even gravy. Even all of them together. But mayonnaise? No. That's just wrongness....

Edit: And calling mayonnaise "mayo" should be a crime. I assume that name only came about because Americans can't spell mayonnaise...

Looks like I won't be inviting you around to King Cod for tea then.....  ;D

I have said it before but salt and vinegar on ANYTHING is just wrong!

Right, off to the bunker so hide from the rocks that will be coming my way shortly.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #35 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:14:28 pm »
Hollanders put mayo on chips. With ketchup.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #36 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »
I've not seen it with ketchup. The Netherlands stuff is sharper than our helmans - there is a King Chips shop in York, they sell proper dutch fries (double cooked) with a choice of about 8 varieties of sauce (I think they all variations on dutch mayonnaise). Bloody good too.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #37 on: 15 December, 2017, 01:52:03 pm »
I've not seen it with ketchup. The Netherlands stuff is sharper than our helmans - there is a King Chips shop in York, they sell proper dutch fries (double cooked) with a choice of about 8 varieties of sauce (I think they all variations on dutch mayonnaise). Bloody good too.

Ooh thanks, I'll give that a go tomorrow for fuel with my Christmas shopping. Was very disappointed in Brugge this summer as the shacks in front of the town hall which used to sell the best fries in the world are now reheating frozen fries :(
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #38 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:05:15 pm »
IME - particularly in sit down places, they'll give you a couple of ramekins - one with mayonnaise and the other with ketchup. Obvioulsy, I'll leave both as neither are appropriate for chips....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #39 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:52:14 pm »
Currywurst was bogging but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. The chips were good thobut.

Belgian frites must have mayo. No comebacks.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #40 on: 15 December, 2017, 02:53:43 pm »
New Zealand: whitebait  :sick:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 15 December, 2017, 03:42:12 pm »
IME - particularly in sit down places, they'll give you a couple of ramekins - one with mayonnaise and the other with ketchup. Obvioulsy, I'll leave both as neither are appropriate for chips....

Partner always has ketchup with chips. I usually do.

In our family, we have mayonnaise with almost everything.

Except chips. My Mum just doesn't do chips.
At all.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 15 December, 2017, 04:44:25 pm »
Ketchup[1] makes mediocre chips nice and badly cooked chips tolerable.  A really good chip doesn't need anything more than a pinch of salt.

I really don't get the point in mayonnaise:  "Let's make some super-calorific acrid eggy spunk ...and eat it with our chips and sandwiches"?   :hand:

[1] Unless it's the soggy vinegary dregs of ketchup, which is horrid.  Generally, ketchup improves linearly with the tomato to vinegar/sugar ratio.  All Gold tamatie sous is lovely.  Some of the reduced salt and sugar ones are okay, if you can tolerate the aspartame.  Heinz is the ISO standard, but far from the best.

« Reply #43 on: 15 December, 2017, 04:45:23 pm »
Disagreeing with ian about authentic Chinese food. 
Yes - some animal parts that a westerner might be  :o  at (pickled donkey hide anyone ?... a regional speciality around X'ian) but lots and lots of interesting veggies too.
Loved it all - except for the chicken feet.   
I hate chicken feet.

Oh yes, and whilst I am and will always remain a Francophile, the genuine 'high' andouillette is possibly the most revolting dish in the entire world.

« Reply #44 on: 15 December, 2017, 04:50:48 pm »
Oh yes, and whilst I am and will always remain a Francophile, the genuine 'high' andouillette is possibly the most revolting dish in the entire world.

Oh I don't know there is Surströmming that Swedish thing where they fermenting herring and can it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #45 on: 15 December, 2017, 05:47:59 pm »

Oh I don't know there is Surströmming that Swedish thing where they fermenting herring and can it.

Kæstur hákarl. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to vomit over everyone in the room, accept no substitutes.    :sick:

ETA - isn't Surströmming the one that you're banned from opening the can/eating it indoors?

<looks up Wiki page>

Yup, that's the one.

Beats me how either dish hasn't been banned under international arms control treaties. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #46 on: 15 December, 2017, 05:48:40 pm »
I have said it before but salt and vinegar on ANYTHING is just wrong!

Right, off to the bunker so hide from the rocks that will be coming my way shortly.

Completely agree. The correct and only thing to put with vinegar is ground white pepper.

[/SouthLondonRoots]
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #47 on: 15 December, 2017, 06:05:11 pm »
I recall going to Royal China Queensway a few years ago, in the company of someone from Singapore to guide me through. Endless exquisite dim sum, so that when  chickens’ feet were ordered I assumed that they would somehow be made delicious and generally non-chickens’-feety.

No. A bowl of chickens feet. Boiled a bit.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #48 on: 15 December, 2017, 07:28:44 pm »
I thought the whole point of currywurst is that it was made with what the troops had to hand, i.e. ketchup  and curry powder and then stuck over what the locals had to hand, obv sossig.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #49 on: 15 December, 2017, 08:02:56 pm »
Chinese food. The proper stuff. I hate to insult an entire nation but I'll do it anyway. The parts of animals you don't want to eat floating in cartilaginous muck and you're forced to eat it with sticks while other westerners tell you how authentic it is. There's a good reason we have our anodyne anglicised Chinese food.

Bouillabaisse. Starship Troopers in a bowl. Gazpacho. It's soup that's gone cold. Pasta with shellfish in the shells. Fuck off, what am I supposed to do with that. Italian pizza bores. Oh, I know you some great pizza somewhere in some Italian village, stop the fuck going on about it. Actually foreign food bores in general. This was so much better in... Here's a fucking map and bus ticket, fuck off back there.

On the other hand: Currywürst is the best (and nothing fancy, it just spoils it). I love the stuff. Chip butties, awesome. Crisp sandwiches, awesomer.

I cannot disagree.
I spent several months working in Changsha, capital of Hunan province.
I cannot remember (Well, it was probably in my teens) the last time KFC and Rotten Ronnies was the go to nutritional option - the KFC is really rather good inasmuch as it is really spicy / hot.
Most memorably, the worst meal (by far) we encountered was the roast beef and veg from the English Restaurant on the 19th floor of our hotel.