Author Topic: Ottolock attack.  (Read 8275 times)

Ottolock attack.
« on: 14 January, 2018, 01:40:23 pm »
I've just posted a thread about this on CycleChat and I'm copying it here since there seemed to be a lot of interest about this lock on this forum.

After waiting for several months my brother finally received his Ottolock from the states. It originates from Kickstarter and aims to replace lightweight cable locks but with better security thanks to a mix of steel bands and kevlar fibres.

Unfortunately someone decided to have a go at it last night and it is no more.

He got caught out and ended up using it to secure an expensive bike in London at night, which is pretty far from its intended use I assume.

The would-be thief seems to have gotten frustrated and has tried to melt it apart, with no success. They came very close to getting through it but seem to have either given up in frustration or been scared away. Apparently it looked much more intact last night and they may not have realised how close they were to cutting it.

I know it's a bit iffy to make conclusions based on one event but here goes:

- I'm impressed by how tough it is. I've a fair amount of experience cutting different materials and it looks like a right pig to get through. They appear to have spent some time on it. I feel that it is probably much tougher than an equivalent weight cable lock.
- On the other hand, the fact that it was attacked just days after receiving it perhaps highlights the importance of a visual deterrent. It looks like a bit of a toy, but perhaps a black one would be better. An expensive lock than invites attack is a bit of an issue, even if they don't manage to nick the bike.
- Overall my impression is that it would make a good, if expensive, cafe lock. It might be good for touring cyclists too as it is light and convenient to carry. It is available in long lengths which would allow you to lock up to small trees.

I hope this is of some help to people who are considering buying one. I have no relation to the seller etc. etc.

Re: Ottolock attack.
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2018, 01:57:08 pm »
Very interesting, and is in line with what I imagined - an effective cafe/touring lock that may well end up giving up its life for your bike.

The way I see it, most people thankfully don't steal bikes. Of those that do, opportunist thieves with cable cutters are the most common and most dangerous for cafe / touring stops.

If you have an expensive bike you start to attract the more "professional" bike thief who expects to have to deal with a D lock and the only way to deter them is by deploying TWO GOOD LOCKS (the ghost of Barry Mason smiles whenever you say that) and hoping the thief goes on to other, less secure, bikes. Of course, even a single D-Lock isn't the most friendly item in a tourer's luggage.

As you say, it's a good cafe lock.

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2018, 07:30:23 pm »
For the uses I intend, that is actually quite reassuring.

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:11:30 pm »
For the uses I intend, that is actually quite reassuring.

Indeed.  The guy was using the lock for a purpose it wasn't intended IMO.  Even so, his bike wasn't stolen.  I'd like to know a bit more detail - how "expensive" a bike, where was it left and for how long?

As others, I'll be using mine for cafe stops with best bike, shopping whilst audaxing/touring and possibly as a better second lock for the front wheel (to replace the current cable lock) in combination with the New York in high-risk areas.

It does highlight the main problem with the Ottolock though.  It looks flimsy, like a child's toy, moreso than a cable lock which to the uninitiated can actually look quite sturdy. It's therefore possible that people are going to have a go thinking it's just a rubbery plastic band (which is what it looks like) - people without the usual semi-pro tools like bolt cutters, etc - and will try a junior hacksaw, Stanley knife, fag lighter.  My worry is they will render an expensive lock unusable and possibly damage the bike in the process.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:18:58 pm »
Yes it does look like it has an unusually good toughness to weight ratio.  That's what got me interested enough to back the Kickstarter in the first place.

Quite a few YACFers have an Ottolock now.  Find more omments in the Reviews section.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:26:59 pm »

It does highlight the main problem with the Ottolock though.  It looks flimsy, like a child's toy, moreso than a cable lock which to the uninitiated can actually look quite sturdy. It's therefore possible that people are going to have a go (possibly people without the usual semi-pro tools - bolt cutter, etc) and will try a junior hacksaw, Stanley knife, fag lighter.  My worry is they will render an expensive lock unusable and possibly damage the bike in the process.

Indeed. Though how do you make something both very lightweight and hefty-looking? (could be a project).

« Reply #6 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:42:02 pm »
the thing is that it is not possible to do more than specuate whether it was a fairly serious thief, armed with tools that would defeat some conventional bike locks, or just a chancer who happened to have a pair of pliers and a cigarette lighter in their pocket and fancied having a go, because the lock lacks 'deterrent value'.  If the latter, it is not that encouraging; it seems the lock was very nearly defeated.

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:46:29 pm »
Well, if you've already got a dead one, there's no reason not to see how well the undamaged part stands up to attack by various tools...

« Reply #8 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:48:03 pm »
Well, if you've already got a dead one, there's no reason not to see how well the undamaged part stands up to attack by various tools...

Yup.  Go for it.

« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2018, 10:03:03 am »
Indeed. Though how do you make something both very lightweight and hefty-looking? (could be a project).
An aluminium U-lock.
It may cut easily, but it would probably be good at getting the thief to try another bike first.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:16:56 am »

This is a very useful opportunity :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2018, 08:59:28 am »
An aluminium U-lock.
It may cut easily, but it would probably be good at getting the thief to try another bike first.
I'm sure there's quite a bit of variance from place to place, time to time and thief to thief, but cutting doesn't seem to be the main way of attacking U-locks.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:20:00 pm »
The cordless angle grinder is popular in some parts.  Wrap an old towel around it to muffle the sound and catch the sparks.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #13 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:26:24 pm »

Could someone who knows this person suggest they do a few tests & film (or otherwise document) the results?  Perhaps this could be a  way of recouping the cost of the lock - contributions?

« Reply #14 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:27:34 pm »
The cordless angle grinder is popular in some parts.  Wrap an old towel around it to muffle the sound and catch the sparks.
You appear to have detailed local knowledge, RZ.  :demon:  ;)

« Reply #15 on: 17 January, 2018, 06:32:42 pm »

Could someone who knows this person suggest they do a few tests & film (or otherwise document) the results?  Perhaps this could be a  way of recouping the cost of the lock - contributions?

They have already done that over in the other place - clicky

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2018, 05:21:19 pm »

They have already done that over in the other place - clicky

Yup, sorry. I forgot about this thread. Here it is:

Since the lock was toast I had a go cutting it up with various tools.

From left to right we have a junior hacksaw, side-cutting pliers, small bolt croppers and long handled end-cutting pliers. Ignore the cable lock.

Hacksaw - cuts through easily given very good support in a vice but is much slower and more awkward in other situations. When cinched tight to a pole I think it might not be possible to get a hacksaw on it at all. Even a tiny bit of wiggle makes it very difficult to saw.

Side-cutting pliers - Very hard work. I tried both nibbling at it and flexing the lock back and forth to fatigue it but neither method worked very well. I did manage to get through eventually by taking small bites and levering against an immovable object. I suspect this is what the thief was using.

Bolt croppers - These were highly ineffective. They made a cracking noise on the first cut but seemed to do relatively little to the steel bands. I think it was mostly just compressing the sandwich together without cutting.

End-cutting pliers - These were quite effective. I was able to nibble through fairly fast with the beefy head and long handles. However, the bulk of the head makes it hard to get a suitable angle on the lock and I suspect that when actually locked to a bike a thief might not be able to get the angle.

I have no other experience cutting locks and all the tools above were cheap and unloved. On the other hand, I feel a bike thief is unlikely to be rocking Knipex side-cutters and I was working mostly at a comfortable height with the lock in a bench vice.

I would love to know how easy a regular cable lock is to cut through for comparison but am unwilling to sacrifice one. The one in the picture is 8mm diameter and roughly the same length as the Ottolock and weighs 300g. The long Ottolock weighs about 240g so it is lighter while being (I strongly suspect) more resistant to attack. I feel that a huge advantage of the Ottolock over a cable lock is the ability to cinch it down tight - I don't think this aspect can be understated. A cable lock can generally have a loop pulled into a comfortable position to be worked on. When locked up tight I think one might be able to make it impossible for a hacksaw to be used and almost impossible for bulky end-cutting pliers or bolt croppers. Side-cutting pliers will slip in but as I found and as shown by the real thief is is not very easy to get through with these.

Overall, I am quite impressed and would rather like one. It is light and easy to pack whilst offering what I feel is significant resistance to petty thieves. However, I agree with @Tangoup52 that it is rather expensive compared to other options. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if we get a proper UK importer which should drop the price considerably.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2018, 05:33:38 pm »
I would love to know how easy a regular cable lock is to cut through for comparison but am unwilling to sacrifice one.

I hacked through one with my SAK's hacksaw blade after the 2010 Dunwich Dynamo.  Can't have taken more than about 10 minutes, much of which was spent honing the technique (it worked best with a second pair of hands to tension the cable, but you could probably dispense with that if you didn't care about scratching the bike's paintwork):

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21093.msg679867#msg679867

« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2018, 05:45:53 pm »
In addition to the above I have a couple more clarifying points.

The bolt croppers I had available really were pants and didn't have sharp jaws. They were trying to crush the belt rather than cut which didn't work since the belt is 'chewy' rather than rigid. I feel that better bolt croppers might have been able to get through instantly. I feel this because the rigid, long-handled end cutting pliers did not have much trouble getting through.

On the other hand, I think the ability of the lock to be cinched tight is a big point in its favour. If you are careful snugging your bicycle up to the post you are locking to and do the lock up tight a thief might not be able to get a hacksaw, bolt croppers, or end cutting pliers in there.

On the other, other hand, by doing the lock up tight I feel it might be easier to defeat with bog standard side-cutting pliers because you make it easier to lever the pliers against the post as you cut.

Overall, I like the design and feel that it is superior to what it is trying to replace - the small/medium diameter cable lock - but for what they currently cost (about 3x to 6x the cost of a cable lock) I don't think they are worth it for most people. Those with expensive bicycles wanting a lock for cafe stops may feel differently as the cost is very small compared to their bicycle and because they aren't going to want to lug around a heavy lock after shelling out for a light bike.

I hope the lock is a financial success as we might then see the price going down due to economies of scale.

I haven't cut a cable lock so unfortunately I can't compare them directly. I'll be on the look out at bicycle stands for broken cable locks and will post back here if I find one.

« Reply #19 on: 23 January, 2018, 06:07:26 pm »
Thanks very much for the testing & report, RB.  :thumbsup:

As you say, brief stops with expensive bikes seems to be the niche market here.

« Reply #20 on: 23 January, 2018, 06:32:27 pm »
I would love to know how easy a regular cable lock is to cut through for comparison but am unwilling to sacrifice one.

I hacked through one with my SAK's hacksaw blade after the 2010 Dunwich Dynamo.  Can't have taken more than about 10 minutes, much of which was spent honing the technique (it worked best with a second pair of hands to tension the cable, but you could probably dispense with that if you didn't care about scratching the bike's paintwork):

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=21093.msg679867#msg679867

< Thinks generally - perhaps a spare hacksaw blade between ducktape maybe an addition to the self-sufficiency kit in case of 'cafe lock failure to release scenario'>   ;)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #21 on: 23 January, 2018, 07:31:02 pm »
needless to say you do can wield a junior hacksaw in a tight corner; if the frame and blade are assembled over the cable, such that the blade is facing inwards, you need very little room indeed.

In general 'café locks' should deter an unequipped, opportunist thief, rather than someone who is tooled up.   If this lock simply looked stronger that would be a significant improvement IMHO.

cheers

dim

« Reply #22 on: 23 January, 2018, 08:01:00 pm »
   If this lock simply looked stronger that would be a significant improvement IMHO.

cheers

thats what I was thinking aswell .... the problem is that if a thief cannot get through the lock, he may damage your bike out of spite .... The lock looks flimsy.

but I would not let that bother me, as if I do get an Ottolock, it will only be used during Audax or Sportive rides where I only need to lock my bike/wheels for a very short period of time
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #23 on: 23 January, 2018, 08:14:42 pm »
The lock looks flimsy, and has only three digits to boot.

I have a small/light Abus 202 lock (2.5mm cable so easily cut, but with 4 digits) for audax rides. Won't stop a thief, but will stop someone taking the bike when they're too lazy to walk a few hundred yards.

« Reply #24 on: 23 January, 2018, 08:15:52 pm »
needless to say you do can wield a junior hacksaw in a tight corner; if the frame and blade are assembled over the cable, such that the blade is facing inwards, you need very little room indeed.

Yes you could do this but you would be sawing against the flat of the belt instead of the edge and your grip/working position would also be compromised I think. I feel that this would either not work or would take a very long time but now that you've mentioned it I realise it's something I should have tested.