Author Topic: Custom touring triple that works with a Hollowtech II BB?  (Read 3103 times)

Custom touring triple that works with a Hollowtech II BB?
« on: 02 March, 2018, 01:34:15 pm »
Is there anywhere that does a custom touring triple crank/chainset that works with a Hollowtech II-compatible external bottom bracket? I'm very happy with my Hope external bottom bracket, but am looking for a (probably custom) bottom bracket with 46-36-24 teeth for touring. Crank length needs to be 170mm .This will be for a 9-speed chain, if it makes any difference. I know I can get a Shimano MTB chainset, but think these are only for 44-32-22T or 48-36-26T. My current Shimano SLX crankset is I think 42/32/22, which is a bit too low, but 48T and 26T would be too high... Or can I get separate 46T, 36T and 24T decent quality rings for my existing SLX chainset?

I'm aware that you can get such a crankset from Spa Cycles, and this one looks fantastic, but looks like only for a square taper BB e.g.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p2004/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset-with-custom-TA-chainrings

Is there anywhere else that does custom touring chainsets? Or should I just bit the bullet and change my BB for a square taper one? If so, what square taper BB would be good for touring and of similar or better quality to my Hope one?
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Custom touring triple that works with a Hollowtech II BB?
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
can you not go with the 48/36/26 and change the range with the cassette?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2018, 02:14:25 pm »
can you not go with the 48/36/26 and change the range with the cassette?

I prefer the closer-spaced ratios of 11-32 than 11-34

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:27:48 pm »
Both the Deore and Deore LX came with the ratios you're looking for...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:31:40 pm »
Alternatively Spa Cycles will be able to supply TA rings for your cranks.
VELOMANCER

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »

I've only seen them in 44-32-22T (or 42-32-22) or 48-36-26T, not 46-36-24

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:41:01 pm »
Alternatively Spa Cycles will be able to supply TA rings for your cranks.

That might be an option, though the shiny TA rings may look a little odd on my SLX cranks...

« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2018, 03:58:26 pm »
How about one of these 24t small rings swapped with the Deore m590 22/26t?

edit. fixed link
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2018, 04:32:41 pm »
i can't find the "ideal" gears for me too (e.g. middle 45t chainring), so settle for what is widely available and get on with it. i suggest to go that way too or even better - get a suitable bike with appropriate gearing for a different discipline.

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:13:08 pm »
i can't find the "ideal" gears for me too (e.g. middle 45t chainring), so settle for what is widely available and get on with it. i suggest to go that way too or even better - get a suitable bike with appropriate gearing for a different discipline.

Yes, but with a touring bike you need to cover a wide range of use cases...

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »
not really, it's quite easy to get it right

« Reply #11 on: 02 March, 2018, 05:30:48 pm »

As Tors runs his own bike shop, I’d be surprised if he were incorrect. You could do worse than ask him to source you the chainset you desire.  :)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 02 March, 2018, 06:07:12 pm »

As Tors runs his own bike shop, I’d be surprised if he were incorrect. You could do worse than ask him to source you the chainset you desire.  :)

Good point. I already have an LX crankset, so rings for that would be good (or a new LX crankset - Deore would also be fine, though. Need 170mm cranks)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 02 March, 2018, 11:37:01 pm »
If you have an LX crank all you need is the right combo of rings. You'll find them on ebay...
VELOMANCER

« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2018, 09:16:07 am »
If you have an LX crank all you need is the right combo of rings. You'll find them on ebay...

Sorry, just checked it's an SLX crank, does that make any difference to which rings I can use? Looks like this one:

I'm currently running 22/32/42 but find this a bit too low, even for touring.

Can I use third party chainrings with my SLX crank, e.g. Spa Cycles TA rings? Or Middleburn, perhaps? Think I have a 104 PCD Middle & Outer.

All I can see from Shimano for this crankset is 22/32/42 and 44: https://www.tweekscycles.com/components/mtb-chainrings/shimano-slx-m660-replacement-9-speed-chainring

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:06:37 am »
Spa cycles sell stronglight 'zicral' rings in the sizes you want. They are hard-wearing, good value, and are fitted with pins and ramps etc.

Give them a ring (argh... ::-)) and maybe they will confirm their suitability for your chainset; IIRC 104mm 4-bolt chainsets use one or two different shoulder dimensions for the middle ring, so not all rings fit all cranks without some filing.

cheers

« Reply #16 on: 03 March, 2018, 10:30:30 am »
Spa cycles sell stronglight 'zicral' rings in the sizes you want. They are hard-wearing, good value, and are fitted with pins and ramps etc.

Give them a ring (argh... ::-)) and maybe they will confirm their suitability for your chainset; IIRC 104mm 4-bolt chainsets use one or two different shoulder dimensions for the middle ring, so not all rings fit all cranks without some filing.

Thanks!

« Reply #17 on: 03 March, 2018, 06:28:54 pm »

What might work best would be 46/34/24 thinking about it.

Checking Spa Cycles, looks like these rings might work with my crankset:

Outer: STRONGLIGHT 104 BCD Zicral Outer (46T black): https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=487
Middle: STRONGLIGHT 104 BCD Zicral Middle/Inner (34T black, has shifting pins): https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=486

For the inner, there don't seem to be any Zircal rings in 64mm BCD, but there is this one:

Inner: STRONGLIGHT 64 BCD-24T 4 bolt Stainless Steel: https://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?show=488

Given that I'm going to be on the inner when honking my loaded tourer up a steep hill, perhaps it would be for the best anyway that it's steel rather than aluminium...

Getting that lot for my desired 46/34/24 would come to £64, which is about the same as a complete new 44/34/22 Shimano FC-M590 crankset - so I guess it's a choice of one or the other (assuming the above is compatible - I'll check with Spa), though I suspect the STRONGLIGHT rings may be better quality than the Shimano ones and there's nothing wrong with my SLX cranks.