Author Topic: 'brass suspension' on brompton  (Read 3402 times)

“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Re: 'brass suspension' on brompton
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2018, 03:24:48 am »
Looks like it. Can't quite see the point of it but I guess it looks pretty
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2018, 05:44:37 am »
What is that suspension?

Looks like a rubber bushing in a brass casing. The suspension job is done by the rubber, the brass is just there to make it look prettier.

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2018, 10:58:06 am »
I suppose it's a slightly prettier way of replacing the couple of Jubilee clips round the suspension rubber that most people seem to use to firm it up.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #5 on: 20 March, 2018, 11:25:45 am »
I looked up pete's link. It is a rubber bushing and a spring, so it offers adjustable firmness, with the rubber just acting as a dampener. That makes it an improvement over the original, but I don't think this does the click in place thing that stops the rear from folding.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 20 March, 2018, 01:17:48 pm »
That makes it an improvement over the original, but I don't think this does the click in place thing that stops the rear from folding.

That's done by a combination of a notch at the end of the bolt the suspension unit mounts to and a clip attached to the seatpost clamp.  It doesn't looks like this replaces either, though it may interfere with the ability to disable the clip action by rotating the suspension unit by hand.  The clip is visible in the eBay bike auction in the OP.

As to whether it's an improvement over the original, that's going to depend on how firm it can be and rider weight.  As a rule of thumb, the firmer the better.

« Reply #7 on: 20 March, 2018, 01:54:25 pm »
Ta for that info, kim.
It's a very ugly brompton, with some decent upgrades (dynamo, brooks saddle, grips). They've relisted it twice no, no bids each time.
Bike has seen hard use, lots of scratches on rear triangle.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 20 March, 2018, 02:10:44 pm »

That's where the rust happens...

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2018, 06:50:35 pm »

My old one (a T3) rusted through completely on the rear triangle. In retrospect, it would have been well worth spraying framesaver down the ends of those tubes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2018, 01:56:14 pm »

One of the reasons I pony-ed up for a model with Ti forks and triangle...
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway