Author Topic: Finding campsites when on the road  (Read 7010 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Finding campsites when on the road
« Reply #25 on: 26 May, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »
The caravans only thing is down to waste. I.e your caravan must have a toilet as there isn't one on the site. There is one near here which is annoying as opposite the local river that's suitable for canoeing (technically it's a navigation not a river or canal).
That's what I reckoned it must be.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #26 on: 26 May, 2018, 11:32:24 pm »
Roll up at one of the "Caravans Only" sites with your own Bucket and a, Modestly high, wind break (Pune intenional) so you can say you have your own toilet?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #27 on: 27 May, 2018, 03:31:16 am »
Roll up at one of the "Caravans Only" sites with your own Bucket and a, Modestly high, wind break (Pune intenional) so you can say you have your own toilet?

Sounds good, except that you're probably expected to take it with you when you leave.

« Reply #28 on: 27 May, 2018, 09:08:53 am »

Sounds good, except that you're probably expected to take it with you when you leave.

You could use a boginabag and dispose of the bag in their bins, and they would probably never know.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #29 on: 27 May, 2018, 12:53:06 pm »
Some years ago Nutkin and I were on a tandem tour of East Anglia. We were trying to replicate the Dunwich Dynamo, which for her was unfinished business, but starting in Southend.  From there, she was going to give me a guided tour of Norfolk tea rooms, it being her neck of the woods. We were way behind schedule on the Sunday. It was a hot day and she had a really nasty asthma attack somewhere in remote Suffolk, shortly after we left Kersey. I searched the internet for local campsites and found this one. I had a pretty primitive unsmart phone at the time and a rather dodgy signal, but it proved a life-saver. IIRC I also telephoned Dez and asked him to use a real computer to help me out.

It wasn't (and still isn't) marked on the OS map, but was a good place to bed down for the night. The following day we cycled to Stowmarket station and caught a train to Norwich, from where we got back on track. We never did get to Dunwich.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #30 on: 29 May, 2018, 03:47:33 pm »

You could use a boginabag and dispose of the bag in their bins, and they would probably never know.
I think the caravans only place I stopped at didn't even have any bins. It was literally a field, albeit nicely mown, with a gate and a handy pub!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #31 on: 29 May, 2018, 03:51:07 pm »
Wow's tale has reminded me of an occasion with a friend about twenty years ago. I can't remember where we started but we ended up somewhere near Salisbury Plain. We headed for a campsite that was marked on the OS map. When we got there, it turned out to be a Scouts site, with lots of little scouts (or maybe  they were cubs, I don't know) in residence. Fortunately this was before manic paedophobia and so the scout leaders took pity on us, even gave us some breakfast next morning. But it goes to show that not only are some sites not marked on maps, some that are marked aren't really campsites!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #32 on: 29 May, 2018, 04:16:39 pm »
Many moons ago (we're talking late 80s) I was cycling from the Channel to Paris and back over an August Bank Holiday weekend.  On both nights I couldn't find a campsite so asked local people if I could camp in their gardens and on both occasions got invited to stay!  On the first night as well as being given a bed I got to enjoy a superb family supper and got treated to breakfast the next morning.  On the second night I knocked on someone's door well after dark, the lady of the house (who was alone) invited me to sleep in her kid's bedroom.  I wonder if the same would happen today?

Nick H.

« Reply #33 on: 29 May, 2018, 08:07:56 pm »
Are landowners ever satisfied by a trowel? I'm all for burying my doings. Do the authorities endorse this?

« Reply #34 on: 30 May, 2018, 10:02:14 am »
Are landowners ever satisfied by a trowel? I'm all for burying my doings. Do the authorities endorse this?
It is standard if you are wild camping remotely, so I don't see why not if you are in a field somewhere. It is probably easier to dig the hole, too.

« Reply #35 on: 30 May, 2018, 11:04:31 am »
Interestingly, the Red Lion is not on ukcampsite.co.uk nor is the one at Ashton (which I didn't even look at, so perhaps it no longer exists except on maps), and the one at Haw Bridge is described totally differently to what I saw, including saying it takes tents (and has showers and is connected with the pub, which it didn't seem to be when I called).

The Haw Bridge used to take tents many years ago because it was a regular site for a camp organised by MZUK Bristol section. I stayed there in 2010 (Goldwing outfit, not MZ; shame on me  :hand: )
AIRI The Red Lion was always a bit snotty. Fisherman's site (says he speaking as a canoeist).

« Reply #36 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:48:21 pm »
The Haw Bridge used to take tents many years ago because it was a regular site for a camp organised by MZUK Bristol section. I stayed there in 2010 (Goldwing outfit, not MZ; shame on me  :hand: )
AIRI The Red Lion was always a bit snotty. Fisherman's site (says he speaking as a canoeist).
The Haw Bridge site is attached to the pub, which has been closed for several months now, with associated lack of mowing.

For the Tewkesbury area, I'd go to the Lower Lode, a pub site on the other side of the river immediately downstream of Tewkesbury (3/4 mile from the cross, if the ferry's running, or about 5 miles via Mythe bridge & A438), or Rectory Farm, Ashleworth (halfway between the village and the A417, to the NW) if I wanted somewhere small and quiet.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 31 May, 2018, 12:53:34 pm »
I think there are actually two Haw Bridge sites. A field right behind the pub (didn't realize it was permanently closed but not surprised) and the field I saw, which is opposite the houses further back.

« Reply #38 on: 31 May, 2018, 08:41:19 pm »
The field further back is a Caravan and Motorhome Club certificated location (still in use)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #39 on: 01 June, 2018, 09:25:02 am »
Yes – still in use but only licensed for caravans!

rr

« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2018, 11:15:15 pm »
Once when solo backpacking on the North Cornwall section of the south west coast path, I turned up at a large campsite and was told that they didn't allow all male parties!
They eventually accepted that I was not a party.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Nick H.

« Reply #41 on: 01 June, 2018, 11:23:37 pm »
You should have replied: "There's a party in my pants tent and you're invited!"