Author Topic: Burnt Orange is the New Black....  (Read 6861 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Burnt Orange is the New Black....
« on: 27 May, 2018, 07:47:10 pm »
Collected this yesterday from eBay... Woot!

A refurbished Holdsworth Mistral with Reynolds 531 F&F and all new finishing kit. Hard to find doesn't come close. I'm over the moon, Brian.

Chris S

Re: Burnt Orange is the new Black....
« Reply #1 on: 27 May, 2018, 07:50:34 pm »
I like the look of the frame - but I'm not so much a fan of Orange. If you like it - that's what matters!

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Burnt Orange is the New Black....
« Reply #2 on: 27 May, 2018, 08:13:57 pm »
Not Orange... Burnt Orange... the pictures don't do it justice.... even Mrs Manotea approves!

As it happens the same size as the first and only custom built frame I've ever had, circa, er, 30 years ago.

That was in a scarlet red (because as everybody knows, red bikes are faster) but left me a tadge disappointed as the finish seemed dull whereas this shines...

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2018, 03:12:28 pm »
Red pigment is fugitive, more so than other pigments - look at the number of chalky red cars you see around.
Nice bike, Paul.

« Reply #4 on: 28 May, 2018, 07:08:50 pm »
It's a lovely colour.

The axle alignment bolts and the freewheel less so, but easily sorted.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #5 on: 28 May, 2018, 11:29:31 pm »
That's a thing of beauty! Also.. All Variations of orange are my favourite colours on frame and forks. (Apart from when I Sheldonise one of my Raleigh/Triumph/Catalogue brand 20's). When I do the MK3 Moulton, with the Dacon Drive, that'll be a VERY UN-SUBTLE shade of Orange.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2018, 04:59:36 pm »
Yes, saw the excess off those dropout adjusters before you bend one and have the problem of removing it by cutting it perilously close to your paintwork!

I'm not sure how useful they are on a fixie.  Generally, every time you remove and refit the wheel it will need to be a little further back in the slot, so the adjusters would need to be wound back too.  Maybe convenient on a low mileage bike if you remove the wheel for transport or have frequent punctures.

On a derailleur bike they were there to adjust and maintain the correct "angle of dangle" for the rear mech by moving the whole wheel.  The B-tension screw, which does the same job, became necessary with vertical dropouts.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2018, 05:31:51 pm »
I like that!