Author Topic: Bethesden Faries rides  (Read 4077 times)

Bethesden Faries rides
« on: 10 June, 2018, 12:10:42 pm »
Hello,

Shamelessly begging. I've gone and entered the 150K ride, and have since realised I can't get there for 0830 - is anyone in London driving down?

I'd really appreciate a lift, and I'll pay the petrol!

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

LMT

Re: Bethesden Faries rides
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:11:39 pm »
At the risk of sounding obvious..... ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2018, 12:15:16 pm »
Not me, as I'm doing the 300.

Have you tried contacting the organiser? He might be willing to put out an email to entrants. I'm sure there will be someone who can help.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3 on: 10 June, 2018, 02:49:38 pm »
There aren't any campsites nearby, and it's my first century ride so I'm not wanting to ride down from London before hand! :)

« Reply #4 on: 10 June, 2018, 02:55:02 pm »
There aren't any campsites nearby, and it's my first century ride so I'm not wanting to ride down from London before hand! :)

There's at least one within 10 km of the start!

« Reply #5 on: 10 June, 2018, 02:56:29 pm »

There's at least one within 10 km of the start!
I couldn't find one, would you mind posting the link?

I only saw the poshcamping cabins!

« Reply #6 on: 10 June, 2018, 03:31:04 pm »
This is the one I'm staying at:

http://thegatelodgecampsite.blogspot.com/

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #7 on: 10 June, 2018, 04:20:27 pm »
Highly recommended by one of our members who uses it as a country retreat. About 6.5 miles from the HQ

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #8 on: 10 June, 2018, 04:26:31 pm »
The HQ will be open around midnight for the 2.00am 300k start.  There's a small garden behind the hall which has been used for camping in the past.  Not sure of the current position but worth asking the organiser.

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2018, 10:24:53 pm »

Martin

« Reply #10 on: 01 July, 2018, 11:15:20 pm »
A successful series of events from my view from the car park; a couple of dozen hardy souls on the 300, more on the 200 / 150 and the lion's share on the 100 (my first time at this distance having done the 3 higher ones over the years)

Stifling hot but being flat it was OK as long as long as you were moving or there was a breeze for which Dungeness didn't disappoint as usual

I did the Man of Kent route back to Tonbridge for the return ECE leg then on to Gatwick for my return flight which got a lot more pleasant as the temperature dropped (into the mid 20s!!)

Thanks Bob and your helpers inc Mr and Mrs Cyklisten

« Reply #11 on: 02 July, 2018, 10:44:57 am »

Hats of to the organizing team, a lovely event (I did the 150 to complete an r500), the heat really took its toll on me, I found it tougher than the 200 a few weeks ago.

I spotted two giraffes and a grass snake basking on the very hot road,

« Reply #12 on: 02 July, 2018, 11:32:55 am »
The heat was a real challenge, but it was a nice day out.  The silver lining of the heat was the amazingly warm night section.

The only thing I'd change for next year would be some savoury food options at the mid-route controls!  The controls were excellent, but there are very few shops on the route and my other half ended up suffering form cake overload on the 300 :sick:

citoyen

« Reply #13 on: 02 July, 2018, 12:53:28 pm »
The only thing I'd change for next year would be some savoury food options at the mid-route controls!

Yes please!

By the time I got to Dungeness, I was seriously craving something savoury, totally caked out - excellent though the cake was. I had a prawn mayo sandwich from the Railway Café that was very disappointing - floppy bread and a gloopy, taste-free filling.

The french onion soup at the finish was very welcome indeed and really hit the spot.

Great day out, and full marks all round for excellent organisation.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #14 on: 02 July, 2018, 01:59:56 pm »
I spotted two giraffes and a grass snake basking on the very hot road,
How hot do roads have to be before giraffes bask on them? :D

« Reply #15 on: 02 July, 2018, 08:44:11 pm »
It was a great ride - hats off to the organisers. The heat on the marshes really really sapped me of all energy - luckily I went the wrong cafe which was a shame as I spent my lunch thinking I'd missed the control had the bonus of fish and chips.

My tent decided to stay on the train and go to Dover, so the heat meant I got a dry night sleep.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #16 on: 02 July, 2018, 10:05:33 pm »
That was a great day (and night) out...

Highlights for me:
The wonderful warm night section (as zakalwe said), made even better by the pop-up control at Dymchurch
Changing direction at Rye to see the reddish glow in the north east turn into a full on rising red ball sunrise over the marshes.
Lots of great minor roads and lanes on the next section after a fortifying (second) breakfast
Flapjacks at Golden Green (must get the recipe)
More good cake and tea at Iden
Dungeness - always enjoy visiting but the "shacks" lining the approach road seem to go more upmarket every time
The first section of the cycle path along the canal from Hythe
Soup at Arrivee
No hassle with South Eastern trains in either direction

Lowlights:
The very badly driven Ocado van that we had to swerve onto the verge to avoid somewhere after Headcorn
The headwind (not really that strong but combined with the heat it seemed extra debilitating)
The second section of the cycle path, the surface appeared to be just hard mud

Many thanks to all organisers and helpers, our first Fairies Flat foray but hopefully not the last. The course is very tandem friendly  :)

« Reply #17 on: 03 July, 2018, 10:42:13 am »
Thanks all for your kind comments.  The observations about savoury food, the rough track etc have been taken on board for next year.  It was a long shift for me and many of the other helpers (17 in total) so I spent yesterday recovering in the way I know best - a nice bike ride in the sunshine.  I hope to see you all next year when we will probably move the event back to the traditional Sunday nearest midsummer's day.
Great things are achieved, not by strength but by perseverence

citoyen

« Reply #18 on: 03 July, 2018, 11:53:16 am »
It was a long shift for me and many of the other helpers (17 in total) so I spent yesterday recovering in the way I know best - a nice bike ride in the sunshine.

Yes, that is a long shift. Very much appreciate your efforts. Well done to the Fairies for turning out in force to run the controls - it really enhances the experience from the rider's point of view.

I really liked the canal path. There were only short sections towards the end that got uncomfortably bumpy, and even they weren't that bad. The worst bit for me was the short stretch of badly broken up tarmac on the road just after you come off the path.

« Reply #19 on: 03 July, 2018, 12:01:57 pm »
Thanks all for your kind comments.  The observations about savoury food, the rough track etc have been taken on board for next year.  It was a long shift for me and many of the other helpers (17 in total) so I spent yesterday recovering in the way I know best - a nice bike ride in the sunshine.  I hope to see you all next year when we will probably move the event back to the traditional Sunday nearest midsummer's day.

Having people at the all of the controls was really appreciated, and a great motivator – thanks to all who gave their time :thumbsup:

The second part of the track at the end was a bit bumpier than I would have liked that late in the route, as was the road afterwards, but overall it wasn't too bad.

« Reply #20 on: 03 July, 2018, 01:52:29 pm »
You can avoid the canal path by going back along the main road and turning right @ the pub.
Second the point about the manned controls nice to have a friendly face to speak to.

« Reply #21 on: 03 July, 2018, 01:55:42 pm »
You can avoid the canal path by going back along the main road and turning right @ the pub.
Second the point about the manned controls nice to have a friendly face to speak to.
Guessing you guys are talking about the 300, but I'd like to add that as someone on their first 150, and on the road by myself, it really helped to know I'd see a friendly face.

citoyen

« Reply #22 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:34:09 pm »

Yes – the routes into and out of Hythe come very close to intersecting at Newchurch (just after the info control), so you could if you wished use the canal path in both directions... or neither.

There is also a way to knock a couple of kms off the distance but it involves going up a bastard steep hill, so hardly in the spirit of the ride.  ;D

Martin

« Reply #23 on: 03 July, 2018, 03:58:59 pm »

There is also a way to knock a couple of kms off the distance but it involves going up a bastard steep hill, so hardly in the spirit of the ride.  ;D

Is that via Bilsington or Port Lympne? I avoided Tar Pot Lane as my ECE was overdistance and the hill was a lot more pleasant than a (reported) 31oC in the lane

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 03 July, 2018, 04:19:43 pm »
Is that via Bilsington or Port Lympne?

The latter. It's that first bit out of Hythe that's steep - especially if you go the Old London Road way.