Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2465939 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #4650 on: 20 July, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »
Neat.

I think I feel a Moultonneed brewing again...
Getting there...

« Reply #4651 on: 20 July, 2011, 07:51:30 pm »
Tis a Cotic >X< - built up at the mo as a fast-ish road bike

I like that  :) That frame would be a good base for a decent all-rounder.

What height are you and how do you find it to ride? Is it relatively short in the top tube, f'instance? What fork is it, as it's not the one of the Road Rat? What disc brakes have you got and how are they working with the STIs? Mduguard eyes / rack mounts?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4652 on: 22 July, 2011, 02:38:39 pm »
going camping at the weekend, just checking it all works OK with little wheels..

;D
I can report that a Swallow saddle is a personal thing  :o but the bike certainly soaks up the bumps (based on a 1 minute ride round an industrial estate in Cambridge).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4653 on: 24 July, 2011, 02:32:33 pm »
With a saddle from Domestique, tyres from GeneHunt & bar tape from SteveKish my Peugeot now looks like this  ;D
Now to get some PB's !!!
Will be at the Blenheim Palace TT hoping to beat last years time of 36:36

« Reply #4654 on: 24 July, 2011, 03:13:15 pm »

Suppose you were replacing vertical leverered cantilevers - spongey and not really very good - with levers like these allied to V brakes on a Galaxy used as winter commuter, what would be the lightest, cheapest and least naff-looking way of preserving an "on the hoods" riding position option?
Should this be in "Know How"?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4655 on: 24 July, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »
Something like this?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cane%20Creek-Cane-Creek-Ergo-Stoker-Tandem-Brake-Levers_42868.htm

Shopping around would no doubt find something similar for less money. Or you could get an old set of aero levers and perform a bit of metal butchery.

« Reply #4656 on: 24 July, 2011, 03:20:43 pm »
That's what I call after-sales service! When can you come and fit them?

« Reply #4657 on: 24 July, 2011, 03:42:29 pm »

Shopping around would no doubt find something similar for less money.

I know that it is a minority item but that price really is piss ripping.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4658 on: 24 July, 2011, 03:51:54 pm »

Shopping around would no doubt find something similar for less money.

I know that it is a minority item but that price really is piss ripping.
Still a fiver cheaper than SJSC ....

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4659 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:05:48 pm »
Presenting "Custard", the 'other' Genesis ;D

IMG_0046 by interzen, on Flickr

It's a Day One 'cross that the LBS were wanting to get rid of, so I obliged - currently set up as 75" fixed, 35mm tyres and no mudguards. Probably as close to a 'fast' road bike as I'm likely to get.

(sadly it's a phone camera pic, since my bad-ass camera needs the battery recharging)

« Reply #4660 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:13:01 pm »
No fair. I want more bikes  >:(

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4661 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:18:14 pm »
I have just the essentail accesory you need for that Interzen.  A Rhubarb soft toy with an annoying noise making box inside it, that when you press it, it goes (all together now) "NAHNAH NAHNAH NAHNAH NAH NAHNAHANAHNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4662 on: 28 July, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »
I have just the essentail accesory you need for that Interzen.  A Rhubarb soft toy with an annoying noise making box inside it, that when you press it, it goes (all together now) "NAHNAH NAHNAH NAHNAH NAH NAHNAHANAHNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"
What I really want is an Angry Birds decal for the top tube :)
The tenuous link is that I like Angry Birds, Birds (as in the company, rather than the feathered animal) make custard and the bike in question is a rather strident shade of yellow.

I've just taken it for a quick (and 'quick' is the operative word here) spin round the lanes and OrangeGina handles like a barge by comparison. Woohoo!

I'm already resigned to the fact that I'm a Surly fanboy, but it looks like I may be a Genesis fanboy as well :)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4663 on: 28 July, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »
it looks like I may be a Genesis fanboy as well :)

You'll be wanting one of these
next then?  I know I do :D

It's exactly what I was hoping to build if I'd managed to get them to sell me an alfine frame & forks.  Only in orange rather than that dreadfully common Pompino blue...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4664 on: 28 July, 2011, 05:11:29 pm »
it looks like I may be a Genesis fanboy as well :)

You'll be wanting one of these
next then?  I know I do :D

It's exactly what I was hoping to build if I'd managed to get them to sell me an alfine frame & forks.  Only in orange rather than that dreadfully common Pompino blue...
Nope - I've got my eye on one of these bad boys: http://bikemagic.com/gear/genesis-2012-29er-revealed.html - it's the replacement for the iO single speed, one of which I had my eye on until I discovered they were sold out.

Not out until Spring 2012, apparently, but if has enough clearance to handle big, fat DH-style (ie. 2.5->2.7") tyres then I'm 'aving one for Dalby duty.

EDIT: I also have it on reasonably good authority that the Day One Disc will be around £750 (single speed) rising to about £1700 for the Alfine-11 version.

« Reply #4665 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:43:49 pm »

IMG_0046 by interzen, on Flickr

Does Steve Jobs insist that you put an Apple logo on all your possessions now? ;)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4666 on: 28 July, 2011, 10:53:19 pm »
Does Steve Jobs insist that you put an Apple logo on all your possessions now? ;)
Wow. Now that you mention it, that's uncanny ...
Then again, I did take the pic with my phone, so make of that what you will ;)

My Dave Yates does have an Apple sticker on the head tube, though.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4667 on: 28 July, 2011, 11:07:36 pm »
I met Custard earlier this evening. Zingtastic! And with a very bling (and non-slack) chain :)

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #4668 on: 29 July, 2011, 01:10:38 pm »
I've got my eye on one of these bad boys: http://bikemagic.com/gear/genesis-2012-29er-revealed.html - it's the replacement for the iO single speed, one of which I had my eye on until I discovered they were sold out.

There's an iO just appeared on singletrackworld if you're interested (nowt to do wi' me, I've just spotted it, that's all):
Genesis IO
Bronze completely standard spec (even on the original tyres) size 20.5.
Used but not hugley a few cable rubs and scratches but nothing serious looks brand new.
£450.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4669 on: 29 July, 2011, 03:45:57 pm »
There's an iO just appeared on singletrackworld if you're interested (nowt to do wi' me, I've just spotted it, that's all):

Genesis IO
Bronze completely standard spec (even on the original tyres) size 20.5.
Used but not hugley a few cable rubs and scratches but nothing serious looks brand new.
£450.
Too big.
Bugger ;D

« Reply #4670 on: 29 July, 2011, 07:54:25 pm »

Picked it up this afternoon. Circe Helios, Alfine, Versa shifters, Tiagra road discs...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4671 on: 30 July, 2011, 09:33:48 pm »
Good bye, old friend.  :(

After sitting around my flat in bits for too many years, the time has come to part with this bike.

BACKGROUND: I bought this, my second bike, back in the early 1990s.  It's a steel framed 'ATB', 26" wheels.  This is what got me cycling again when I was at Uni.  When I moved to the UK I brought it with me.  It was used sparingly the first few years, but eventually I began commuting on it and even used it for my first tour, the C2C, back in 2006 (pic below).  I stopped riding it and replaced it with an Orbea Elorrio soon after as it was getting expensive to maintain.  Matters weren't helped by some parts being made of cheese as well as having an oversized bottom bracket shell.  I've held on to it with the thought of converting it into a fixed/ss hack bike, but I had my doubts.  After getting a second opinion the decision was made.

I'll take a close look at the bits - some may be worth dropping off at the local LCC bike workshop.  If anyone thinks they can do something with it they're welcome to it, but collection only, please (East London).  If I don't hear from anyone by next Saturday then it's off to the skip / recycling centre.

I'll remember the good times (and overlook the bad).

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4672 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:37:20 pm »
I have recently built up my first bike from scratch, starting from this, a Van Nicholas Amazon Rohloff frame that happened to come my way at a very attractive price, courtesy of one of On-One's silly discounts :

Over the past few weeks it has evolved into a very nice commuter bike running an Alfine-8 hub gear :

Click on the pics for more / bigger pics if you're interested.

Further evolution into a light tourer running an Alfine 11 or Rohloff may occur if I find the right hub / shifters at the right price.

Thanks to Biggsy for the re-usable cable ties, Pippa and MacB for the charity-donation inner tubes, and LittleWheelsandBig for the Pixeo rear light, that now form part of this bike. And Majorbloodnok for the bars - not used on this bike, but they helped me decide what suited me best without breaking the bank.

And thanks to everyone on here for freely donating enough knowledge to give me the confidence to build my own bike in the first place - I wouldn't have done it without you. 

Building it up was more fun than Meccano, and it is hugely rewarding and brings a smile to my face every time I ride it! 

Thanks again!   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4673 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:38:09 pm »
Pretty.
Getting there...

« Reply #4674 on: 05 August, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »
Nice bike.

But that's a lorra headset spacers  :o