Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2463737 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5525 on: 15 June, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »
I think we are talking late 80's/early 90s.

The kit on the bike looks to me as if the original owner knew that they wanted a straight-bar machine and just said "best Campag I can have to do what I want". Was it from Mercian's as a bike - they were Campag gurus at the time, and had some hard to get bits because of a close relationship with the factory. I've got some Campag touring record bits I've never seen anywhere, that Mercian supplied to someone I bought a bike from.

PS - from the frame number I think that it was built in 1989.
Yep - '89. I'm going to risk £10 and get the history from Mercian.

But as I have been told, it was originally a drop bar bike, and the owner only changed the bars when he gave the bike to his brother in law some time later. The stem is I think evidence of this. The 1" quill 'swells' to a larger exposed diameter, and ends in a much more 90s+ clamp - not what I'd expect to see on a bike that was built for flat bars in the late 80s.

On the other hand, where on earth did those levers come from, and when?

The proof will come if, as he has said he will try, he produces the original bars and brake levers.

The brake levers and brakes come, I think, from the short-lived Campag foray into the mountain bike world. It was difficult to get, so someone went to some trouble to keep the bike Campag.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5526 on: 15 June, 2012, 10:59:52 pm »
Lovely. But that big ring has me sweating even while I'm sedentary.

The small frame (51cm c/c) makes it look big.

The cassette tells another story - when I bought the bike, a 23 sprocket was all I needed for regular forays over the Bwlch and Rhigos.  :-\

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5527 on: 16 June, 2012, 12:04:40 am »
...when I bought the bike...
When was that?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5528 on: 16 June, 2012, 10:28:11 am »
1999. Apart from a couple of chips it looks brand new. Something special about those Italian paintjobs.

« Reply #5529 on: 16 June, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »
Lovely. But that big ring has me sweating even while I'm sedentary.

The small frame (51cm c/c) makes it look big.

The cassette tells another story - when I bought the bike, a 23 sprocket was all I needed for regular forays over the Bwlch and Rhigos.  :-\

You can get up the Bwlch on a 23??   :o Flippy neck.
Working my way up to inferior.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5530 on: 16 June, 2012, 10:11:07 pm »
Yes, but it's reassuring to know there's a 25 there as well just in case.

I went over the Rhigos and Bwlch last Sunday actually, and I was passing Dragon Riders wobbling all over the road in 34x27 in my 39x19. And I'm relatively unfit this year after a back injury in the spring!

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #5531 on: 18 June, 2012, 07:33:50 pm »
With the sad demise of my favourite Orbit Photon steel frame bicycle after eight years and almost 30,000km due to a broken chainstay, it was time for a replacement.
After some searching and soul searching, the frame that most closely matches the old one in geometry and dimensions turned out to be a 58cm Spa Audax Titanium.
Duely ordered, this was built up with some of the Orbit finishing kit (some of which was fairly recent due to ongoing maintenance).
Newly built wheels (CXP33's on Ambrosia hubs, Sapim race spokes), new chain and sprocket, new tyres.
9 speed Ultegra STI's, Stronglight 53/39/30 Chainset and bottom bracket, Supernova and LD600 rear lights, Dura Ace long drop callipers and Brooks Professional saddle.
Bar Phat tape, Gore "Ride On" brake and gear cables. Sigma sport confuser on stem.
Bar extender for Supernova light when it gets dark - Newly rebuilt wheel consisting with a Chrina rim on SON28 dynamo to match (not pictured).

The blend of silver and black is not "perfect" but good enough, I guess....

Short shakedown ride yesterday - seems pretty comfortable, light and fast.

The welding on the frame looks prettty neat too...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5532 on: 18 June, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »
Excellent.  You'll be flying up those hills now.
Getting there...

« Reply #5533 on: 19 June, 2012, 09:14:18 am »
Kaffenback with midge bars that I put on this weekend

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5534 on: 22 June, 2012, 07:38:35 pm »
That looks nice and simple! :thumbsup:  Forgive my ignorance, but is a kaffenbach , a pompinio with gears? ie same stable, different horse, or are they completely different?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #5535 on: 22 June, 2012, 09:25:06 pm »
I think that's about right. I've had both, and not only were the frames very similar, they rode similarly as far as I could tell.

I loved the look of the Kaff, but (like the Pompino) I couldn't get it to feel right.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5536 on: 24 June, 2012, 03:22:50 pm »
A Fisher, an On One and a Tiermat.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5537 on: 27 June, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »
That looks nice and simple! :thumbsup:  Forgive my ignorance, but is a kaffenbach , a pompinio with gears? ie same stable, different horse, or are they completely different?

Thanks stumpy. Yes, AFAIK they'r exactly the same but with a few different bits welded on the frame to take gears and a different paintjob. The newer Kaffenbacks are black and red I think.

« Reply #5538 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »
The new Pompino, finished it yesterday and did a 25mile test ride today.

« Reply #5539 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:28:47 pm »
The new Pompino, finished it yesterday and did a 25mile test ride today.

And??? Is it a keeper this time? :)

« Reply #5540 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:33:38 pm »

And??? Is it a keeper this time? :)

Yes, I had and sold a green one but always missed it, not had a singlespeed bike for a while so went for another one.

« Reply #5541 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
Looks very decent.

« Reply #5542 on: 27 June, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »
Looks very decent.

Thank you, did have a budget build in mind but that soon changed.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5543 on: 27 June, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #5544 on: 28 June, 2012, 11:57:11 am »
Got the Portland back from a service Tuesday, decided to take a pic before I started getting it dirty again..

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #5545 on: 28 June, 2012, 12:30:01 pm »
Ooh, that looks really good StuAff.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5546 on: 28 June, 2012, 04:25:31 pm »
Ooo!  Not seen one of those before, is it a c-x ?

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #5547 on: 28 June, 2012, 10:24:10 pm »
Thanks gents. It's not a full-blown CX, it's a wet-weather road bike/light tourer/commuter in the same vein as the Tricross or Croix de Fer, to name but two. Runs as good as it looks- aluminium frame and carbon forks, but 28mm tyres take most of the sting out of road buzz. Just had Marathon Supremes on instead of the regular Marathons that were fitted before-y perhaps not quite as comfy (still a smooth ride)  but they weigh a pound less and it shows! It's a really great all-round bike. Got it second-hand in October (frame is a 2007 model), and so far I've put over 3,000 miles on it. 'Nuff said really! Discontinued now, sadly...Trek seem to have missed a trick there.

« Reply #5548 on: 29 June, 2012, 01:36:03 am »
It's a fantastic looking bike Stu, even neglecting my obsession with interest in discs.
I'm a little surprised that you've found Marathons less comfortable than Supremes though.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #5549 on: 29 June, 2012, 10:09:32 am »
I'm a little surprised that you've found Marathons less comfortable than Supremes though.
Meant the other way round- the Supremes are a bit skinnier and that does reflect in the ride quality. Not much difference though, I hasten to add, and worth the increased friskiness. Mostly showing up in my front light mount rattling- adjustment of that should fix it.