Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 256888 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #2575 on: July 30, 2017, 12:37:52 am »
Old Moulton Speed nailed to the wall in a stupormarket:

20170729_164516 by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #2576 on: August 01, 2017, 11:16:36 am »
That's cool. Chainring not far off the size of the wheels and a tiny little sprocket.  :)

« Reply #2577 on: August 01, 2017, 08:16:05 pm »
Cargo bike with electric assist, which you'd probably want if you had to ride it up the incredibly steep Marlborough Hill behind Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #2578 on: August 01, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »
This Thanet was made in 1952 to take the present owner's father-in-law up Alps and safely down again.

1952 Thanet ds by Cudzoziemiec, on Flickr

1952 Thanet by Cudzoziemiec, on Flickr

That explains the gearing: double chainring with a tiny inner, two rear cogs and a three-speed hub. Unfortunately the original parallelogram linkage to chain between the two cogs has broken, hence the anachronistic Shimano mech.

The brakes have been uprated, I think. The set back seat post is obviously an alteration, as the current owner has much longer thighs, and for the same reason he had to lop the final inch or so off the bars! The Thanet bottom bracket design results in a very steep seat tube design: 74 degrees, I think he said. The rest of the unusual frame is basically marketing.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #2579 on: August 15, 2017, 10:48:36 pm »
Interesting & unusual because it looks like an un-updated classic.

A Raleigh, model unknown, but seller's label is F.W.Golding, 72-74 High Street, Milton Regis, Sittingbourne, Kent. It looks as if it was open a couple of years ago. No surviving tubing or other transfers apart from that shop label, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 531.

Obviously old Campagnolo gruppo: double chainring, 5 speed block, downtube shifters. Looked fully functional. Damn! I didn't check what the brakes were. Everything looked as if it could be original except the tyres & saddle.

Locked up at Cemetery Junction, Reading.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2580 on: August 25, 2017, 10:39:41 pm »
Spotted outside the Pump House in Bristol.

1939 Elswick. The Pumphouse Bristol. by Vince Hall, on Flickr

According to the man with the pint sitting next to it, it dates from 1939. Wheels are not original.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2581 on: September 01, 2017, 12:09:35 am »
A Lightning F-40 like unto this:

but less thoroughly yellow, doing a healthy clip westbound on US-36 in NW Kansas this morning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2582 on: September 13, 2017, 05:43:22 pm »

This has been left unused, and unlocked at work for 3 months now.

I reported it to business protection, with the same lack of response as when a company vehicle nearly ran me off the road.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #2583 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:38 pm »

This has been left unused, and unlocked at work for 3 months now.

I reported it to business protection, with the same lack of response as when a company vehicle nearly ran me off the road.

It would make a good fixed-wheel, though methinks someone has had to replace the forks.

« Reply #2584 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:42 pm »
A Brompton was tied up outside the church this afternoon.  Painted black, it had what looked rather like a fuel tank mounted on the frame-tube—I think it housed a battery—and a smallish electric motor underneath.  I didn't have time to examine the details of the drive system.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #2585 on: Today at 01:45:43 pm »
Seems Greenway have made a special monster electric MTB for this delivery company:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher