Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3019060 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #21550 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:32:08 pm »
I live about midway between 5 Bacon Lane, London NW9 and 5 Bacon Lane, Edgware HA8. That's ¾ mile each way.

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #21551 on: 14 September, 2017, 05:36:55 am »
So, you're in a bacon sandwich then.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21552 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:04:53 am »
Roger, Francis or streaky?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21553 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:43:39 am »
That's just . . .

Ew...!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #21554 on: 14 September, 2017, 08:52:40 am »
A while ago I ranted about the stupidity of the new block of houses and their numbering - instead of adding to the numbers on the street, they have their own numbers. So my house is number 5 New Lane and almost directly opposite there is now 5 Holgate Mews, New Lane

This month we had the first instance of a company picking the wrong one from an address list. We provided '5 New Lane' as the delivery address, they gave '5 Holgate Mews, New Lane' to the courier company.

It took 4 attempts, 3 attempted deliveries and 2 weeks for them to get the address right.

'Holgate Mews' is a 'gated' development so we can't even wander over, say hello to the residents of number 5 and suggest that we take in each other's miss-addressed parcels, as anything sent to their address will just get returned . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #21555 on: 16 September, 2017, 10:55:49 am »
On a tangentially related note, my wife went out to meet her friend at a local pub this evening. She'd been waiting 40 minutes for the friend to show up before she realised she meant the other pub of the same name, a few miles down the road.

The are two named 'The Case is Altered' not too far from here.

My bold
I've spent many an evening in the more rurally located one of those two  :)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21556 on: 18 September, 2017, 07:28:11 am »
My hotel this week is on the route of the Wild Atlantic Way
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #21557 on: 18 September, 2017, 02:07:14 pm »
From today's Graun quick crossword: "Female reproductive organ (5)" ----Y.

I tried at least two wrong answers before considering the correct one, OVARY.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #21558 on: 18 September, 2017, 09:31:12 pm »
From today's Graun quick crossword: "Female reproductive organ (5)" ----Y.

I tried at least two wrong answers before considering the correct one, OVARY.

What a filthy mind you have! I would never have got ovary.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21559 on: 19 September, 2017, 07:24:12 am »
Slightly shudderous: yesterday we went to the nearest Darty, one of an electronics/white goods chain, to pick up a radiant heater to replace one that had conked out.  Vaguely wondering what kind of amperage our lounge sockets might support, I went over to the vacuum cleaners - our vacuum cleaner gets plugged into any handy socket - to have a gander at how much they drew (nothing like a heater, but never mind that).  In particular, Mrs. T42 lingered over a Dyson that looked like something out of Star Wars.

Anyway, I had done all the on-line prospecting and the missus hadn't gone near the Darty site for weeks, but two hours after we got home a Darty ad for Dyson vacuum cleaners popped up when she was on the NYT site.

Not nice.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #21560 on: 19 September, 2017, 07:44:16 am »
Anyway, I had done all the on-line prospecting and the missus hadn't gone near the Darty site for weeks, but two hours after we got home a Darty ad for Dyson vacuum cleaners popped up when she was on the NYT site.
Not nice.
Best guess is cookies.  I have Opera set to clear cookies and other session data when it closes down and for my ancient version of Firefox I routinely clear cookies (tools/options/privacy) just before quitting.  Doesn't solve the problem completely, but it does keep the intrusion levels to just about bearable.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21561 on: 19 September, 2017, 08:41:21 am »
Yebbut she uses a different computer.  The route is more like

- my visit to Darty's website while looking for a heater gets propagated to their ad agency along with my IP
- wife uses the same router so has same IP
- wife gets Darty ad targeted at IP

However, how the hell did she get an ad for something she'd been looking at in the retailer's B&M shop?  Neither of us has been looking at Dyson stuff on line.

« Reply #21562 on: 19 September, 2017, 12:55:33 pm »
#1 - the fact that the ad was for Dyson is not necessarily because you were looking at them, more likely to be Dyson paying for the placement

#2 - Your/your wife's phone.  If you were signed into Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Apple, your location would be tracked and your account associated with the general class of goods. Other links could make the jump to vaccy

#3 - There' someone spying on you

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21563 on: 19 September, 2017, 01:30:12 pm »
Could well be sexist profiling*: Google's personal data + "if bloke wants a heater, his wife wants a vacuum heater" + both are at Darty.

It's a bit like climate change: taboo in the WH but the Pentagon is getting ready.  We're not supposed to be sexist but marketing departments work with the real world.

My own feeling is that the ad from Darty was IP-targeted and just happened to be for a Dyson. The missus never gets ads for the woodworking stuff I look up, though.

« Reply #21564 on: 20 September, 2017, 01:12:17 am »
My own feeling is that the ad from Darty was IP-targeted and just happened to be for a Dyson. The missus never gets ads for the woodworking stuff I look up, though.

Indeed. I think Dyson are more likely to pay for Darty-linked ads than, say, Festool.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #21565 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:29:37 am »
You can stop looking everybody. I've finally found my winter front lights. I'd naturally forgotten where I'd put them for safe keeping!!! Now have one of them on charge.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21566 on: 20 September, 2017, 09:47:09 am »
You can stop looking everybody. I've finally found my winter front lights. I'd naturally forgotten where I'd put them for safe keeping!!! Now have one of them on charge.

They were in the special place you put them for safekeeping? That's where mine were too.

I discovered this after hours of searching before finally giving up, then coming across them later while looking for something else entirely.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21567 on: 20 September, 2017, 11:47:12 am »
I found my favourite belt that way... Hanging on the hook where my belts live... I had assumed it was kicking around the floor somewhere where I usually leave it... I think Kim had been tidying up and I'd just assumed it wouldn't be there and been about to give up and use one of my less-good belts.

« Reply #21568 on: 20 September, 2017, 01:17:48 pm »

They were in the special place you put them for safekeeping? That's where mine were too.

I discovered this after hours of searching before finally giving up, then coming across them later while looking for something else entirely.
I had that experience with my head torch, after an emergency buy of a dirt cheap one.  :(  Ah well, I now have an emergency spare.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21569 on: 20 September, 2017, 01:22:51 pm »

I had that experience with my head torch, after an emergency buy of a dirt cheap one.  :(  Ah well, I now have an emergency spare.

Was it on your head?  ;D

« Reply #21570 on: 20 September, 2017, 01:38:01 pm »
No. Where it was supposed to be, but hiding under a notebook. I'm sure it was deliberate. It wanted a friend.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #21571 on: 20 September, 2017, 01:50:30 pm »

Surely you've now got a deputy head torch?
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #21572 on: 22 September, 2017, 10:41:53 am »
Much enhanced security since my last visit to the British Museum. Full bag search on the way in.
They were perplexed by my “Stick” massage roller & I had to leave my baby Leatherman to collect on the way out  :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ian

« Reply #21573 on: 22 September, 2017, 11:13:57 am »
You know how people always line up at the flight gate. Last night my plane was delayed, and there was still huge line an hour and a half before, presumably so they can engage in in-aisle gladiatorial combat for luggage space (it was Easyjet, so unlike Ryanair*, they don't issues knives and clubs and release the occasional lion to spice things up).

Anyway, as the obverse of 'speedy boarding' (nice wheeze, oh Easyjet), I do 'lazy boarding' which means I try to be the last person on the plane. I won on the way out, there was a tough moment when it was down to two of us, but he blinked first when the lady on the gate gave us the 'I know what you're doing look' (aka 'oi idiots').

I was doubling up on the way back to earn super lazy boarder status. The line filters through. I have a nap. Read a book. Write a presentation. Write a book. Learn the polka. And then, glory be, it's just me the gate. I saunter over with my phone and passport, oozing victory. And from nowhere, someone appears behind me. The place was empty. He must have come down Spiderman style from the roof. Drat.

*tbh, I've not flown Ryanair for a bazillion years since they stopped doing those 99p deal to places you've never heard of, come to think of it, even the locals haven't. Weekends in exciting places like Blitzkrieg and Fangleberg.

« Reply #21574 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:58:00 pm »
One of the things I love about cheap airlines is their delightful habit of flying their customers to airports carefully sited at a distance great enough from the ultimate destination to provide ample opportunities for sightseeing en route. I've not experienced it myself, but I understand there are rumours that if one is really lucky, one can even take a second flight, from the first airport to one closer to where one wishes to be.

If, that is, they haven't made loads of their pilots work too many hours so they have to give them holidays all at once, & because they're skinflints who pare everything to the bone & are short of pilots that means they have to cancel flights left right & centre & although their passengers stranded all over the place aren't your problem, the fact that their fortnightly flight to Athens Tirana airport has been cancelled means that you can't get to your meeting/holiday/whatever you were going to.