Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3045118 times)

ian

Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #21525 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:56:59 pm »
The name is modestly common (there's a dozen or so), it's the appendage (street, road, etc.) that makes us so very special. We're nothing so common as a street. That and the bears and cryptofauna on the upper reaches. Oh, and the portal to Hell in the hallway. Which is surprisingly handy, otherwise the commute is, well, appropriately hellish.

As there are only two houses on the street, that sadly means we have to share our specialness.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #21526 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:57:49 pm »
Actually, although my street is unique, the house name certainly isn't - there's another house of the same name a couple of miles away, which I only know because we sometimes get their post.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #21527 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:05:06 pm »
House name is, alas, common as muck. Or a type of tree that happens to be out front.

« Reply #21528 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:07:14 pm »
My street is not quite unique - there's another one 100 or so miles away. Weirdly, I used to live just round the corner from that other one as a student, but as it was a parallel street with no cut-throughs I don't think I ever set foot on it in the couple of years I was there.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21529 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:10:35 pm »
This is quite interesting and you lot will like it
http://www.paulplowman.com/stuff/house-address-twins-proximity/

Seems my road is unique, having no street, road, lane etc, there are plenty others that have the addendums, but only one without
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21530 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/12/mario-perivoitos-inquest-dog-mauled-owner-probably-took-crack-cocaine

A Pit Bull on crack, that's a winning combination.    I'm reminded of Tom Sharpe's "The Throwback" which featured a bull terrier on LSD.....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

ElyDave

« Reply #21531 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:24:27 pm »
Had a small boy unleash a shout of "that's awesome" as I thrashed past in a mass of chains and whirling legs on the recumbent this evening.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #21532 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:45:43 pm »

My address is one of four.  The other three are in Scotchland.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21533 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
Thank fuck for post codes! I would probably say if I were a postie in Salford or Bolton.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #21534 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:33:33 pm »
I live in flat 3, "Road name +Postcode"   50 yards away is a house with 3 "Same road name + Same postcode".
The house is a more recent build than my kennel and the Electoral register thing puts me at what, due to lack of obvious signage, would easily be assumed to be their address.

Gee Toto, I guess we're not in Yorkshire anymore!
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #21535 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:52:48 pm »
Nerdtastic!  :thumbsup:

My house name is certainly not unique,  we have no number, and our street being 'High Street', I can assume that there are many duplicates.

How are you lot checking for duplicates?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21536 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:06:45 pm »
Other street name oddities: I grew up on a street that had different names on each side. In practice no one used either name, just the name of the larger road we were next to (our street was very short, just 12 houses in total). And a few streets from where I now live, a new house was built on a vacant corner site a couple of years ago. To one side is 1, #Street name. To the other side is the side street. So it's now 0, #Street name. But there's another vacant plot between it and number 1.... There's some weird street numbering on the other side of that street too, because all the streets in this area were laid out with houses on one side only and long gardens running down to the next street. It might have been built like this because it's on a steepish hill. Recently, houses have been built on what used to be the ends of those gardens, and some of the new houses have taken the number of the house whose garden they're in while some have tried to continue the sequence of the road they're actually part of. I don't know quite how it was allowed, but at least all the new houses (and the old ones, I think) are clearly marked with numbers.

« Reply #21537 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:12:32 pm »
How are you lot checking for duplicates?

Probably by reading the envelopes that have come through the door.

At any rate, that's how we discovered there was a Maryon Road in SE7, when we lived on Marion Way, NW10. (Strangely, we never got anything intended for Maryon Grove (also SE7), or the presumably posher Maryon Mews in Hampstead - with an NW3 postcode, that might have been slightly more easily confused.)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #21538 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:35:31 pm »
A place I used to live in Leeds was in LS12, we regularly had to write on letters 'Not LS12, try LS18'. We one got a letter back with 'Not LS12 try LS18', 'Not LS18 try LS2' and 'Not LS2 try LS12' written on it, that got 'Return to sender' written on it.

Three Springfield Mounts in one city, who'd have thunk it.

« Reply #21539 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:58:33 am »
While my street name is unique i still regularly get someone elses post. Apparently woodpecker place is sufficiently similar to woodcock chase where the postcodes only differ in the last 2 characters for hermes and royal mail to get confused.

ElyDave

« Reply #21540 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:43:05 am »
having our house name and number 17 California is something of a hassle, as we also have a California Farm, California House etc and DPD/Hermes etc all see the name  and ignore the number, cue lots of pointing down or across the road.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21541 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:20:16 am »
Other street name oddities: I grew up on a street that had different names on each side...

One near here is in different towns on each side.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21542 on: 13 September, 2017, 11:22:29 am »
There's a street in some town I've forgotten the name of with the Dutch-German border running down the middle of it.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #21543 on: 13 September, 2017, 05:09:56 pm »
Looking at Google maps the only duplicate of our address is in Edinburgh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21544 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:44:58 pm »
The streetname blog EG linked to listed the alphabetically first and last names in Britain. Bristol seems to have tried for both ends, with an Alpha Road and a Zed Alley. And because this is YACF, I know you'll be delighted to hear that not only do we have a Cock Road and a Lower Cock Road but best of all a Cockroad Bottom.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21545 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »
On a tangentially related note, my wife went out to meet her friend at a local pub this evening. She'd been waiting 40 minutes for the friend to show up before she realised she meant the other pub of the same name, a few miles down the road.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #21546 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:54:51 pm »
Wortley Road in Rotherham used to have two Effingham Arms along it, and a third pub called 'The Effingham'. All within about 2 miles.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #21547 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:57:53 pm »
People saying "That Effingham" seem to follow me about.

« Reply #21548 on: 13 September, 2017, 08:43:47 pm »
ISWYDT. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21549 on: 13 September, 2017, 09:29:44 pm »
On a tangentially related note, my wife went out to meet her friend at a local pub this evening. She'd been waiting 40 minutes for the friend to show up before she realised she meant the other pub of the same name, a few miles down the road.

The are two named 'The Case is Altered' not too far from here.