Author Topic: Great Parking!  (Read 18760 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Great Parking!
« on: 05 January, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »
I thought we already had a thread on cycle parking photos, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, this gem is from Halfords, Sittingbourne:

Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Great Parking!
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:19:37 pm »
That's pretty good by Halfords standards.  Our local one has a couple of Sheffield stands, generally employed for locking their display of car trailers to.   :facepalm:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:20:50 pm »
The photo maybe doesn't quite convey their proximity to both the wall and the bin, nor the height, nor the hilariously close spacing...
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:34:18 pm »
Oh, are they special handlebar-height stands?  Our local Sansbury's has those, mounted end to end in a row - complete arse with a flat barred bike, and little better with drops.  They're also made of tubing of about the same diameter as the internal spacing of a typical D-lock, leaving just about enough room for a chainstay (unless you brought a mini-D-lock).

Fortunately they have a trolley park nearby made of sensible-sized stands that everyone locks their bike to.  Suspect the contractors used the wrong pile of U-shaped metal when they built it.

I should probably go and take a photo, if we're having a thread...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:37:00 pm »
Meanwhile, here's the Tesco Value version:

(Bring your own white van and socket wrench.)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »
Class! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 06 January, 2012, 08:16:38 am »

Is that Becton?
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7 on: 06 January, 2012, 08:51:10 am »
I thought we already had a thread on cycle parking photos, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, this gem is from Halfords, Sittingbourne:

Oh come on, this is Sittingbourne. Low hanging fruit and all that.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 06 January, 2012, 09:50:06 am »
Sometimes, nicknack, I think you are there to double the average IQ.
Getting there...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #9 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:43:53 am »

Those things can breed as well: -

This was in Hexham. Why the trolleys get a roof and the bikes don't is beyond me
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #10 on: 06 January, 2012, 11:46:14 am »
Oh, and on the subject of supermarket parking fails, this is at my local Morrisons: -

:facepalm:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #11 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:43:27 pm »
Sometimes, nicknack, I think you are there to double the average IQ.

That's Mrs n - I'm local.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #12 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:47:06 pm »

My local instance disappeared during some store renovations.  When I asked about it, I was told it had been moved round the back because they thought that only members of staff were likely to use it.  A few weeks later, it did reappear in its old spot... but wasn't actually bolted down at all.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #13 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:51:44 pm »
Just got back from Aldi in London Rd, Westcliff. They have around a dozen Sheffield stands out the back, separated from motors by a kerb, lights, and a brick wall. Not under cover but at least they have some.
Unlike the Aldi's Eastern Avenue, Southend which has none (I know because I counted them twice).

AndyK

« Reply #14 on: 06 January, 2012, 12:53:01 pm »
Here's a photo of the cycle parking at our local Asda:

« Reply #15 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
Facilities need to be transparent so that they just blend in and become part of everyday life.  ;)

« Reply #16 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:13:26 pm »
This is a good bike parking facilty.

York Station

Makes me smile every time I see it. Why cant they manage the same at Kins Cross or other London stations ?

Note not my photo but from a Flickr set by someone else of this parish.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 06 January, 2012, 01:29:34 pm »

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #18 on: 07 January, 2012, 07:55:48 pm »
Is that Becton?

Yes, yes it is.

Thought it looked familiar.  Acres of car parking, and rubbish for bikes.  It's my closest big Te5co, but rarely use it.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #19 on: 07 January, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »

A general note.

If a newish place doesn't have parking, it's worth checking with any recent planning permissions it may have received (even for extensions or changes in use). Many post-2000 permissions will include a requirement for cycle parking to be provided (or the consent is invalid and the building must be demolished).

AndyK

« Reply #20 on: 07 January, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »

A general note.

If a newish place doesn't have parking, it's worth checking with any recent planning permissions it may have received (even for extensions or changes in use). Many post-2000 permissions will include a requirement for cycle parking to be provided (or the consent is invalid and the building must be demolished).

That particular Asda has been there for thirty years.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 08 January, 2012, 12:07:49 am »
Oh, and on the subject of supermarket parking fails, this is at my local Morrisons: -

:facepalm:
Similar ones, but rusty and just big enough to snag a derailleur if you put the back wheel in while not being large enough to hold the bike up if you put the front in, are found outside every Polish village shop. Bikes are left against the wall or hedge instead.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 13 January, 2012, 05:18:13 pm »
Oh, are they special handlebar-height stands?  Our local Sansbury's has those, mounted end to end in a row - complete arse with a flat barred bike, and little better with drops.  They're also made of tubing of about the same diameter as the internal spacing of a typical D-lock, leaving just about enough room for a chainstay (unless you brought a mini-D-lock).

I actually managed to get my D-lock round the seat tube this time, but not the wheel.  As you can see, optimal D-lock technique means having to do something stupid with the bars - I've gone for the 90 degree turn.  It's not entirely clear in the photo, but the mountain bike front right is resting on one of the trigger shifters, with the front wheel ever so slightly off the ground - a method I try to avoid.

« Reply #23 on: 13 January, 2012, 05:23:54 pm »

I actually managed to get my D-lock round the seat tube this time, but not the wheel.  As you can see, optimal D-lock technique means having to do something stupid with the bars - I've gone for the 90 degree turn.  It's not entirely clear in the photo, but the mountain bike front right is resting on one of the trigger shifters, with the front wheel ever so slightly off the ground - a method I try to avoid.

You need a bike with drop handle bars,  :demon: I used to shop there by hooking the handle bar over the top of the stand, front wheel in the air. Then lock the seat tube to the stand with my DLock and an extension cable through the front wheel.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 13 January, 2012, 06:21:12 pm »
You need a bike with drop handle bars,  :demon: I used to shop there by hooking the handle bar over the top of the stand, front wheel in the air. Then lock the seat tube to the stand with my DLock and an extension cable through the front wheel.

Well, the recumbent would probably lock up okay, too :)

The drop-barred bike in that photo is secured with a cable lock through the front wheel and frame.  Front wheel sticks out a fair bit.

It is daft though.  Usually we moan about facilities that only work properly with mountain bikes - this one's the complete opposite.