Author Topic: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..  (Read 288294 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Just watched "World's End" on Film 4. T'other day I watched "Shaun of the Dead".  Both films had adverts in the breaks for ice cream.

Magnum.

Hmmm.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Just seen Brian Johnson with muse doing 'Back in Black' at Reading!  (on TV...)  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
How dare anyone take the name of Johnners in vain?

And no feeble excuses about spelling.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1028 on: 01 September, 2017, 07:50:08 pm »
I don't think I really like the new Taylor Swift album.

Watching Haven intermixed with Twelve Monkeys. Evil Audrey/Mara is scaring me. Stop it. Someone's going to give her a Trouble for sure.

Also watching a cycle racing thing because my wife likes objectifying men in lycra (the sort of men that ride up and down mountains for a living not ordinary blokes and certainly not me, but then she's seen me in a dress). I have no comment on that, just the adverts. I'm not exposed to adverts very often but really, I swear there was an actual advert where someone was asking kids how clean their arses were. What the fuck.

This post was brought to you by the letters R, A, N, D, O, and M.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: A random thread for small entertainment things not warranting their own thread..
« Reply #1029 on: 04 September, 2017, 07:08:30 pm »
Heads up that the new series of Taskmaster starts Weds 13th on Dave.
Found out completely by accident, still streaming the last series after I missed it altogether.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1030 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:16:07 am »
Currently watching an absolutely boring american TV show called Conviction. Nothing interesting except for the lead actress on whom I am simply feasting my eyes.

« Reply #1031 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:14:36 am »
Currently really enjoying Astronauts: Do You Have What It Takes?.  The pool-based activities in Sunday's episode (3 of 6) revealed some interesting behaviour.  Tim is delightfully geeky; Kerry is (I think) a bit of a cold fish; props to Jackie for her swimming pool exploits!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1032 on: 07 September, 2017, 02:52:02 am »
I do not care what your The Database thinks, Mr Ford but this:

(click to show/hide)

is not Wilko Johnson ???
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1033 on: 15 September, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »
I have been getting the urge to get my guitar out the loft, change the strings and try to remember how to play.

Idly searching for strings on eBay, I thought, I wonder if anyone is selling one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EKO-EL-Gaucho-Gypsy-Guitar-/131848470391?hash=item1eb2c7ff77

:o :o :o

Bought for - what - £150? in 70's

« Reply #1034 on: 18 September, 2017, 12:42:55 pm »
On examination a few of the machine head rollers are cracked

Any recommendations for repair in London / East London?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1036 on: 19 September, 2017, 08:48:54 am »
It's a dead simple job to buy a set of heads and change them yourself.

« Reply #1037 on: 19 September, 2017, 04:17:30 pm »
hmmm.

Looked at this http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Classical_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Lyra-style_Gotoh_Classical_Guitar_Tuners.html and it is clear that the plate is longeer and the rollers appear to be 0.04mm larger.... is that significant? This http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-Classical-Tuning-Keys-Lyra-Style-Butterfly-Nylon-String-Guitar-Tuners-/252416942841 looks like it, but I can't find the dimensions.

If it was just a nordinary instrument for a £100 or so, I'd give it a go, but I think a man needs to know his limitations (and not practice on a thing worth £1,300)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1038 on: 22 September, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »
A roller-diameter difference of 0.04 mm isn't likely to matter - there's probably enough leeway in the holes in the head.  Main thing is that the shaft spacing matches.

See your point re the £1300, though. It might be worth taking it to a luthier and asking him to give it a general going-over.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1039 on: 22 September, 2017, 03:53:41 pm »
Me own small thing:  In one film and one trailer recently there have been darkroom scenes where a blank sheet of photo paper was lifted out of one bath and transferred to a second, in which the picture appeared.  Have they already forgotten that the picture appears in the developer bath before being put into the fixer to stop it darkening any further, or do they just think we're too dumb to know (or too gaga to remember)?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1040 on: 30 September, 2017, 11:50:31 pm »
They've remade Flatliners. WTF??
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Amazon are making TV adaptations of "Ringworld" & "Snowcrash".   :D    Something else as well called "Lazarus", but I'm not familiar with that.

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/09/amazon-making-ringworld-snow-crash-and-lazarus-one-tv-series.html

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/snow-crash-lazarus-and-ringworld-shows-are-coming-to-amazon-prime
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Ringworld? Bloody hell. CGI city, I assume, but how will they get around rishathra?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Ringworld? Bloody hell. CGI city, I assume, but how will they get around rishathra?

I think that rishathra was only brought up in The Ringworld Engineers, so we'll have to wait a while.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Steph

I believe you are right. I was thinking of Halrloprillalar and the tasp.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Heh. They'll to have to pronounce Halrloprillalar.  Paging Mr. Niven...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
I'm watching a Canadian science-fiction series called Killjoys, which is basically bounty hunters in space.  After one episode it looks promising, so far.

I binged my way through seasons 1 & 2 on Netflix.   :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Hooray, season 2 of The Expanse is finally on Netflix UK! There go any early nights this week...

Lucifer is back for season 3 on Amazon Prime tonight. Oh happy day.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Steph

Heh. They'll to have to pronounce Halrloprillalar.  Paging Mr. Niven...
Funnily enough, and with no jokes about what I can get my tongue round, I find no difficulty in pronouncing that in a way that seems to make sense. I even typed it out from memory. Oddly, when I went to G**gle it, half the results I got were in Czech, or other vowel-deficient EE languages!