Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 280910 times)

It seems most of western USAnia is either on fire or coughing its head off right now.  Nice Lady in the car park says the interstate through the Columbia River gorge had to be closed this afternoon and two towns evacuated.

Guess where I'm heading tomorrow ???

WA14 on the N side is open, but could be busy and expect foul air. Our air is officially described as "Unhealthy to Very Unhealthy" right now due to the Columbia Gorge fires, high temperatures and extremely dry conditions in general.

Quote from: colleague in our Florida Office
Dear fboab-at-work,
The intended vessel details are as below:
ETS: 09/17
ETA: 10/03
However, we have Hurricane Irma headed straight towards us. If it does not weaken and/or change paths, I see shipping being delayed for quite some time.
Quote from: fboab-at-work
Fingers Crossed she's not as devastating as Harvey
Quote from: colleague in our Florida Office
Floridians don't usually get scared of Hurricanes. This one is terrifying.

Chris S

Couple of notable soundbites today regarding Irma:

Journo: "How bad is it?"
Met guy: "It's pretty much at the limit of what the planet is actually capable of producing"

and

Journo: "Those wind speeds are insane!"
Met guy: "Yes - those gusts are what you might expect from a moderate tornado - only over several hundred square miles, not several hundred yards."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
St-Barthélmy devastated.  St-Martin worse: the four most solid buildings on the island destroyed, so probably every other too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
It seems most of western USAnia is either on fire or coughing its head off right now.  Nice Lady in the car park says the interstate through the Columbia River gorge had to be closed this afternoon and two towns evacuated.

Guess where I'm heading tomorrow ???

WA14 on the N side is open, but could be busy and expect foul air. Our air is officially described as "Unhealthy to Very Unhealthy" right now due to the Columbia Gorge fires, high temperatures and extremely dry conditions in general.

Yep, came down that way this afternoon.  Not nearly as busy as I'd feared, not least because trucks were being kept off it, but the air quality does indeed leave something to be desired, like an aqualung.

P9060325 by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

View of the Mighty Columbia from WA-14 this afternoon.  Heading south tomorrow, though Nice Man in Gas Station reckoned the chances of a smoke-free time will have to wait until reaching California.  My chums in Eureka CA say different.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

I was going to suggest SoCal, but then no, even without the wildfires. LA is a bit chewy at the moment.

I don't want to sound like a swivel eyed loon, but anyone might think that some kind of higher power had it in for the U S of A at the moment.

Is anyone building an Ark, there? Or painting lintels?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Isn't it called reaping the whirlwind?

ian

One can't help but hope that someone called Irma has booked a long stay in Mar-a-Lago.

Maybe it's karma for the Americans electing trump   ;D
the slower you go the more you see

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Jose and Katie on the way, so that's a trio. Or a trinity if you prefer. Apparently the last time there were three hurricanes in the Atlantic together was in 2010, so that's seven years ago. Ooh, all those prime numbers!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
All I can say is I'm glad my son got back from Cuba in July and isn't there now. Not sure if Cuba is directly in Irma's path, but I doubt it will escape unharmed.

I'm sure the people of St-Martin, Barbuda and Puerto Rico take some comfort from that thought.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
All I can say is I'm glad my son got back from Cuba in July and isn't there now. Not sure if Cuba is directly in Irma's path, but I doubt it will escape unharmed.

Looks as though it's going to bounce off the northern coast of Cuba and turn hard right over the Keys and Miami, and then head northwards towards Georgia and the Carolinas.

In other news, I've just seen blue sky for the first time since leaving South Dakota on Sunday morning.

Most of us didn't.

Well, shit...

I combined the images of Hurricane Andrew (1992) & Hurricane Irma (today) at scale in a gif. Irma is a damn leviathan.
https://twitter.com/JoelNihlean/status/905845846687789058

For context, Andrew is the last Category 5 hurricane to make landfall in the USA. Andrew had peak gusts of 177mph - Irma currently has sustained wind speeds of 175mph with gusts of 210mph.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Our Houston office was unusable, folks there not quite resurfaced yet.

We also have folks based in the Carolinas, Louisiana.

I don't think they all voted for the bleached dickhead
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The University of Miami has a hurricane tank that can simulate a Cat. 5.  It's smack on the waterfront, so they can make direct comparisons this weekend.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
France Info just cheerily promised us a month's worth of rain between 10 pm and 2 am tonight.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Blimmin cold here. Cloudy and 11°C. More like bloody January.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
3°C yesterday morning, vs. 20° this time last year.

Just taken out the re-cycling.
That smokey autumnal smell is very much in evidence this evening.
Nice.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Nice.
We've had that here since June 22nd.   :(

Llandismal.
June 19th.  Last day of winter.
June 20th.  Spring.
June 21st.  Summer
June 22nd. First day of Autumn.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Nice.
We've had that here since June 22nd.   :(

Llandismal.
June 19th.  Last day of winter.
June 20th.  Spring.
June 21st.  Summer
June 22nd. First day of Autumn.
Yebbut, you are in Ruralshire  ;)
I fall within the bounds of a frequent bus service.
Not that I recommend the use thereof.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Today was the first day ever that I have been on the Scorching Plains™ of New Mexico that they've actually more-or-less lived up to the name.  It was about 32 degrees when I arrived in Deming this afternoon but natch Facething is telling me it's going to be a lot cooler tomorrow.