Author Topic: The big bib short try out!  (Read 4939 times)

Re: The big bib short try out!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 08:05:43 pm »
Latest C+ has a big shorts test -
Best value (4.5 stars) - Bontrager RL
Test win (5 stars) - Endura FS260 Pro SL
Other 5 stars - Gore Oxygen, Ale Prr Bermuda (but criticised for ghastly colours)

The latest Lusso's have upped the quality again and continue to be outstanding value for money and made in the UK. Just got some 3/4's, now with nice deep elasticated hems.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 09:46:52 am »
Its interesting but I really think that bib shorts are an entirely personal thing. Different bibs will suit different people, although obviously shit ones that are badly made will suit no one!

The Enduras did not sit me at all but the Lusso's seem great. In fact I tried them on the bike this morning. I had some initial concerns over the leg grippers as they felt like they might rub but this quickly disappeared. The cut was great on the bike and the pad was very good given the price. I guess they are staying at least!

menthel

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2015, 02:12:21 pm »
The large Orhi arrived and feel fine but not great, not really sure what to do with them TBH!

The Lusso, having been ridden for a week of commuting are fine for that but I would worry about comfort for any longer. They certainly were not as comfy when I extended my commute out to 40km on Friday rather than the usual 13km.

I think I might be left looking for some 2014 free aeros!

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2015, 02:30:24 pm »
The Enduras did not sit me at all

I was a bit puzzled by this, as upthread you say

"So, endura fs260 in medium tried first. Nice cut, overall with the front high enough for my liking. Straps felt comfy, not too thin or getting caffled up. The pad felt good and I liked the cutout for the gentleman's areas. Very nearly a winner but the leg grippers were not great- in fact rough and rather uncomfortable. That rules those out!"
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

menthel

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2015, 02:33:39 pm »
The Enduras did not sit me at all

I was a bit puzzled by this, as upthread you say

"So, endura fs260 in medium tried first. Nice cut, overall with the front high enough for my liking. Straps felt comfy, not too thin or getting caffled up. The pad felt good and I liked the cutout for the gentleman's areas. Very nearly a winner but the leg grippers were not great- in fact rough and rather uncomfortable. That rules those out!"

I may have been getting confused after trying on so many bibs, the big problem with the Endura's were the grippers, just not comfy at all. Otherwise they did feel good.

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 03:16:29 pm »
Thanks for the clarification  :thumbsup:

Were they the Pro-SL - and if so which leg length did you try?

menthel

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 03:38:17 pm »
Thanks for the clarification  :thumbsup:

Were they the Pro-SL - and if so which leg length did you try?

No, th normal ones. I didn't try the Pro-SL. If I don't have any luck with the current batch (and its looking that way) they are on the list with Assos and Rapha!

menthel

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 03:46:10 pm »
Ooh, just looked at the pro-sl and the leg grippers are different to the standard. May have to order in a pair!

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 08:57:29 pm »
Ooh, just looked at the pro-sl and the leg grippers are different to the standard. May have to order in a pair!

Well if you do please order two pairs, one "standard" and one "long" in the leg department, so you can tell us what the actual difference is!

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 11:03:08 am »
Also, have you considered Pactimo? http://www.pactimo.com/shop/uk/

They use Cytech "chamois".

menthel

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 11:20:30 am »
I will have a look at those too.

The Orhis went back, they just didn't feel right and the leg grippers were a little uncomfortable.

I now have some s/m Howies bibs and they have been kept for futher testing. Rode 30km in them this morning and they seemed comfy. The circular knit made what looked like some very small bibs fit quite nicely. The pad seems thinner than I am used to but it also feels less intrusive- it worked well with my Cambium C15. The leg grippers are nice and comfortable as well. For £59 they seem very good value. Will give them a few more rides and see how it goes.

On the list still to try are the fancier pro-sl Endura, Santini and the newly suggested Pactimo. Lurking on the horizon will be Assos- I quickly tried on Rapha ones and didn't like the cut around my gut.

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 01:14:23 pm »
I've also pulled up a chair to watch this one.

Out of interest, why do you seem to prefer a higher front? One of the reasons I don't often wear bibs is the difficulty when having a wee. With a high front you have to drop the straps, which is a faff - especially if you wear the straps under your tshirt/jersey (as I do). I'd have thought a low front might enable a urinal 'hoik'?
L'enfer, c'est les autos.

menthel

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 02:51:40 pm »
I've also pulled up a chair to watch this one.

Out of interest, why do you seem to prefer a higher front? One of the reasons I don't often wear bibs is the difficulty when having a wee. With a high front you have to drop the straps, which is a faff - especially if you wear the straps under your tshirt/jersey (as I do). I'd have thought a low front might enable a urinal 'hoik'?

Its never been a problem for me. My bib straps go over a base layer and under a jersey, most have well elasticated fronts and the "hoik" is fairly easy. Personally, I just find the higher front more comfy than the lower.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 02:54:02 pm »
Just don't be tempted by the el-cheapo Taiwan made ones.  The front is Simon Cowell-esque in it's height.  It also has no elastication, so peeing without removing siad short requires either a) being hung like a donkey or b) being a contortionist.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2015, 03:01:37 pm »
Just don't be tempted by the el-cheapo Taiwan made ones.  The front is Simon Cowell-esque in it's height.  It also has no elastication, so peeing without removing siad short requires either a) being hung like a donkey or b) being a contortionist.

Or time for the "as a pro would do" down the leg option.

Si_Co

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2015, 03:05:16 pm »
One thing about the Lusso pro gel shorts, you know when they get worn as the gel begins to escape and leads to........erm......interesting reactions. DAHIKT.

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 10:10:57 am »
Any update?  :)

menthel

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2015, 10:14:04 am »
I have gorund to a bit of a halt, having kept the Lusso and Howies. I really like the Howies one but need to take them for a proper long ride. I have also changed my saddles over to Spesh Romins having tried one and finding it very comfy, so that will muddy the waters!

I still also love my 2014 free aeros!

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2015, 10:20:17 am »
I switched to the Romin last year, and like you found it an excellent saddle. I have the Pro and Pro version, also in a 155.

menthel

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26:31 am »
I switched to the Romin last year, and like you found it an excellent saddle. I have the Pro and Pro version, also in a 155.

155 for me too. I have the  Expert Gel for the Italia and a Pro for the Vincenza- the Pro was so light that it just has to go on my silly soot bike!