Author Topic: Castelli Alpha Jacket  (Read 2105 times)

Castelli Alpha Jacket
« on: January 30, 2016, 05:43:28 pm »
I  bought an xxl Alpha Jacket in the sale last week - just got to love Italian sizing - and thought it worth reporting that I've just ridden through a blizzard in it wi th out getting cold. Just wore a long sleeve merino Base Layer and a light summer jersey underneath. When I set off the temperature was about 3 and I undid the outer zip on the jacket for some.cooling airflow. Then the clouds gathered and the blizzard started. The Garmin suggests the temperature dropped to about -2, so I zipped up and rode on. For a non she'll it shed the weather really really well and I didn't stop to put waterproof on.

Love it, provided it fits.
I
Mike

Edited to add - looking at the Assos bonka commentary below makes the Castelli seem almost good value at sale price. Hopefully will last a few years as well.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
Re: Castelli Alpha Jacket
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 11:47:38 am »
I've been a Gabba convert for a while, but on really cold days it's not been warm enough so I used my trusty Assos 851 Airblock. The zip on that broke so I went for an Alpha as well.

Some days this winter it's been too warm (with a Merino base layer) and I would have been better off with the Gabba anyway. I've used it on rainy days when it was about 4 degrees, but with a thin short sleeve Helly Hansen as well. I don't think water beads off it quite as well as the Gabba, even so, I think it's the best option for wet days. The Castelli fit is fantastic (simple Italian size upgrade for me - in UK makes like Endura and Lusso I'm an S, Castelli, Santini, Assos etc a medium fits perfectly). The details are great as well - very comfortable collar, the sleeves are just long enough, smooth cuffs to tuck into gloves etc.

I got mine from Evans, and they price matched with Wiggle (£26 off), and I had £25 of Tesco vouchers to cash in (converted to a £50 Evans voucher). Because I'd spent over £100, Evans sent me another £20 voucher the following week. All in all, I effectively got £96 off the originally listed price.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »
Good to hear you've both found something that works so well.  Do you have any experience (direct or otherwise) on how the Castelli compares to the Sportful Fiandre No-Rain Jacket?  I've been considering one for a while and Wiggle have a good reduction at present, but the Castelli looks good as well.  Thanks.

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 09:55:19 am »
Good to hear you've both found something that works so well.  Do you have any experience (direct or otherwise) on how the Castelli compares to the Sportful Fiandre No-Rain Jacket?  I've been considering one for a while and Wiggle have a good reduction at present, but the Castelli looks good as well.  Thanks.

Sorry, no direct  experience, but would note the Alpha is warm and I'd hope to only want the Gabba and a base layer for the next few months - Gabba plus 3 base layers and a shell in the cold part of the Arrow...

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:27:19 pm »
Sorry, no direct experience, but would note the Alpha is warm and I'd hope to only want the Gabba and a base layer for the next few months - Gabba plus 3 base layers and a shell in the cold part of the Arrow...
Thx for your reply and no worries, any experience-based comment is welcome.  I wanted something for upcoming rides so ended-up ordering the following for comparison:
  • Sportful Fiandre - Nice generally but a surprisingly bad fit; baggy around the stomach.  Returned.
  • Wiggle dhb Classic Softshell Windslam Roubaix - Good fit and nice generally + quite bright in the Burnt Orange colour.  Seemed quite warm and I would have kept it but couldn't justify (i.e. get it past The Boss ::-)) buying two jackets.  Returned.
  • Wiggle dhb Aeron Full Protection Softshell - Good close fit and v.warm.  I decided to keep it and on a subsequent 2Hr ride in ~5C with a brisk headwind was sweating in just the jacket + mesh shortsleeve baselayer.
Hopefully now Spring is coming then I too will only need the new jacket + varying baselayers.  Let's see!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:53:25 pm »
Never tried Castelli jackets!

but following on from previous posts here`s a quick summary on DHB Aeron---following total failure of an Altura Varium (fully refunded by Wiggle ), completely wetted out and cuffs split apart needed replace with similar softshell---Varium had previously been great, warm, breathable

Wore Aeron on Elenydd 300 with just a Rapha winter merino last w/e.  conditions of 0c at start then rain showers, then snow storms, sunny then near / below freezing on ride back home. Overall it coped very well indeed with all these conditions, had to remove it for an hour or so when sun out and wind behind and needed use zip quite a bit to keep cool when not snowing !! Didn`t get too sweated up in it, just needed light rain jacket for heavier snow storms otherwise it shed water / snow admirably. So initial impressions are very good and excellent VFM. Good in the colder  conditions, doubt I`d wear it if forecast 10c , but 0- 5c it did the job :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 07:34:17 pm »
(cant find the recent thread about Gabba's due to hopeless Search  :facepalm: )

The Gabba2 is on offer at Evans and some other places known to the "google" tool - £85-ish. They get rave reviews, so someone might find this an attractive deal :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles