Author Topic: Getting faster when getting into mid 50s ? A dream or a possibility  (Read 47897 times)

Re: Getting faster when getting into mid 50s ? A dream or a possibility
« Reply #125 on: 19 March, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »
Stick with it.  You should find that, like me, your recovery, between hard intervals (on the Turbo or on the road) is improved no end.  My heart rate, after a hard interval, drops back to recovery very quickly now.  In the real-world that means I'm ready for the next hill whilst my buddies are still gasping from the last one.

I've been back on the turbo for nearly 6 months on & off and can tell I've made some reasonable progress - just that nothing was being measured until recently so no comparative numbers, and having now got some numbers it's got me more focused (motivated).

It's been very good to read the travails of others who've been at it for much longer and I've taken a good slug of encouragement from it. Just got to do the work now...

« Reply #126 on: 20 July, 2018, 10:17:44 am »
Began TR (Feb-18) with a test at 226w FTP, ~3.2w/kg.

Goal 1 is 3.5w/kg, being a ~9% increase from Feb-18. No good reason that isn't doable.

Goal 2 would be >3.7w/kg, being a further ~6% increase (or ~15% increase from today). We'll see about that, how the motivation fairs etc. Could be interesting. Beyond that is not something I'll bother wasting my brain on yet.

Update from me:

In April I gained accurate power measurement, and I've been able to determine that my initial February FTP test was overstated by ~5%, making the true numbers back then 215w and <3.1w/kg.

I've done loads of cycling during this summer's good weather, interspersed with TR sessions every so often, and have made good fitness gains. And enjoyed it (well, much of it, not the gruelling TR sessions!). An FTP test in TR this week now has me up to 3.42 w/kg, a 10% improvement on Feb's number, so that's good. Almost at my stated "Goal 1" above...

Unfortunately, it's one step forward and one back, as it seems I need surgery for something so have to knock the training on the head for now and take it easy. Not sure yet when I'll be able to restart my punishment regime. Frustrating, but such is life. Could be worse.

The positive take away for me is that I was able to make material progress in my fitness, quantifiable both on my trainer setup and out on the road, so once I'm fixed up I'll hopefully be able to jump back in and do it all again - and more!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #127 on: 24 July, 2018, 01:08:06 pm »
I've been reflecting on this one, as I set a PB for running a marathon last October (the 11th I'd run), on trails, some muddy, beating a best that was set on the road, at age 53.

There's two things I'd consider.  Firstly, my training regime changed - I was running at least a half marathon on trails every weekend, which was the most disciplined I'd ever been at running - which clearly had an adaptation benefit.  But a big part of this was simply having a better running technique - being better balanced on rough ground and more confident at sustaining speed over awkward terrain was a big part of time saving.  I think that can be applied to cycling as well - looking at cornering, descending, and keeping momentum through those 5 - 20m dips that are so common on British roads.  That's not about more power but applying what power you have better.

Secondly, my first half marathon was run at the tender age of 47, so I didn't have any youthful bests to get in the way of setting a new PB.  I've not been able to achieve the same in cycling where my TT PBs were set in my mid 40s, about 10 years after taking up cycling seriously.  That's because I'd got close to my potential (or at least what could practically be achieved whilst remaining employed and married) at that point and since then the gradual decline of age (particularly maximum heart rate) got in the way of getting fast.  I'm just trying to slow down as little as possible.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

rob

« Reply #128 on: 24 July, 2018, 09:21:13 pm »
Although I’m not yet in my 50s my experiences may be useful. 

I don’t do power but I returned to time trialling at the age of 40 and in the last few years have taken my 50 PB from 2:25 to 1:47 and my 100 PB from 4:58 to 3:47.  The biggest gains have been in the last 2 years when I started working with a coach.

Some of this has been down to improved aerodynamics and better kit, but there has been a lot of hours involved.   I still think there’s more to be gained as I was beaten by another forum member, who I know to be older than me, in both of those rides.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #129 on: 27 December, 2018, 08:36:18 am »
I am now 55 and started riding again about three years ago after a 22 year layoff. When I started again I told Mrs PC I wouldn't race again but stick with my first love of touring. It wasn't long after my first tour (to Cuba) that I stumbled into audax, then last year I did a handful of TTs. On no speed training, only miles, I didn't embarrass myself but I wasn't as fast as I was in 1990.

I have now started training properly and my targets are PBs at all TT distances and the club 12h record. I am assuming that aging can be overcome by training, because I didn't take it that seriously when I was younger :-)

Third PB of the year yesterday when I did 2:05:04 in the VTTA 50 which followed last week's first sub hour 25. So far so good, riding the F11/10 next weekend so may crack my 1989 10 mile PB too 😀

Another year older and still getting faster! I did take 2" off my 1989 10 time in 2016 and another 2'40" off in 2017. This last season only saw a pb in the 100 although I could have also improved 50 and 12h had it not been for punctures.

Now I've retired I should get faster but I suspect I may start to avoid the busy roads and ride slower courses.

« Reply #130 on: 27 December, 2018, 01:54:15 pm »
Surely depends how fast you were when you were younger. I fear my 800m and 5knrunning times - we’ll all of the really - are long gone. On the bike, not so much.

« Reply #131 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:22:05 am »
Just read this thread right through.  Some inspiring stories!

I'm 51 and have lost a lot of power in the last couple of years, mostly because I've cycled far less since we had a baby and with heart surgery interrupting things last year.  Let's see what I can do to get some of it back.  Clearly, intensity rather than big miles is what is going to do it, if anything is.

« Reply #132 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:57:21 am »
I'm 49 and have gained some power in the last year, but that's from a low base and because it's only in the last year I've really been trying harder - joined a local cycling club, have been doing structured spinning classes over winter etc.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #133 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:53:34 pm »
If you can bear it, a turbo trainer speeds you up in less time than anything else because it's relentless.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #134 on: 21 January, 2019, 10:24:26 am »
If you can bear it, a turbo trainer speeds you up in less time than anything else because it's relentless.

I'm not averse to the idea, am getting on okay with the spinning classes, which I imagine are not so different. Can anyone point me towards some recommendations for a mid-price trainer unit? Must work with both Shimano and Campagnolo drivetrains and be able to cope with long derailleurs.

EDIT: have started to look at this guide: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/trainer-buyers-recommendations-guide.html

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #135 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:13:53 pm »
kickr core, elite direto, tacx flux s /flux 2 - all decent trainers that don't cost a lot and do the job.

« Reply #136 on: 21 January, 2019, 05:29:46 pm »
kickr core, elite direto, tacx flux s /flux 2 - all decent trainers that don't cost a lot and do the job.

Thanks, though AFAIK the current generation of Wahoo KICKR trainers do not support their Campagnolo adapter, only the older models do. Not such an issue I guess if running 11-speed, as think a Shimano 11-speed cassette has the same spacing as an 11-speed Campagnolo one, but I want to be able to use it with a 10 speed Campagnolo setup....

From reading reports on the interweb, sounds like the original Tacx Flux and even Flux S have had lot's of reliability issues, though sounds like the Flux 2 may be better in that regard.

Phil W

« Reply #137 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:01:26 pm »

I'm not averse to the idea, am getting on okay with the spinning classes, which I imagine are not so different. Can anyone point me towards some recommendations for a mid-price trainer unit? Must work with both Shimano and Campagnolo drivetrains and be able to cope with long derailleurs.

EDIT: have started to look at this guide: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/trainer-buyers-recommendations-guide.html

If you do not go for a direct drive turbo then pretty much any unit will be compatible.

« Reply #138 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:10:08 pm »

If you do not go for a direct drive turbo then pretty much any unit will be compatible.

Good point, and maybe it would be a better idea not to pile it for a high end model for my first trainer, in case I end up not liking it enough.

For the wheel-on trainers, is the Wahoo Kickr Snap any good? I've been very happy with my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt / TICKR / Cadence sensor (don't have the RPM one)

Phil W

« Reply #139 on: 21 January, 2019, 06:13:18 pm »
Don't know.  I have a Tacx Bushido smart trainer which does not need plugging in.  So I usually use it out on the patio where it is nice and cold.

« Reply #140 on: 21 January, 2019, 08:16:04 pm »
I just moved to a Bushido Smart. If you want to borrow my old Tacx Booster (wheel on dumb trainer, set the resistance and use the gears to adjust your power) to see how you like riding on a trainer then you'd be welcome. I suspect it would be easy to arrange - I live in Oxford and work in Didcot. PM me if you're interested in this idea.

Also, if anyone on this thread wants a referral to Trainer Road then PM me your email and I'll send you one (it needs to be an email that hasn't belonged to Trainer Road before).

« Reply #141 on: 26 February, 2019, 07:07:14 pm »
I might have been pushing it a bit.

Went back into the cycle commute, only 10 flat miles each way, but I'm not used to it. Added kayak training (8x900m sprints) on Monday. 10km TT on Thursday (30s off my best time and best time was riding the wash of some faster people for part of the distance). Sat rode in again and did 22km at a slower pace (well, first 5km was at good speed, then I slowed down).

Sunday I collapsed. Food gave me a massive stomach ache. Slept half the afternoon. Couldn't cope with riding in to work, worked from home.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #142 on: 17 June, 2019, 01:09:50 pm »
Did my first spinning class today at local leisure centre. They have stages bikes but didn't realise there was an app I could download for it, and also didn't bother trying to pair my Garmin Forerunner 935 with the bike, will try and remember to do both next time. ([EDIT] Failed to get it working in time after being given some duff information by one of the other participants, have researched it properly now so will try next week.)

Was fun having someone shout motivation at me.  Attemping to hold 350W for 90 second intervals was not fun.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #143 on: 01 July, 2019, 05:09:08 pm »
I'm definitely faster now than I was when I was 20.

It isn't the kit - I'm paddling a boat that is probably 25years old and isn't as good as the one I had when I was 20. I have a better paddle now, though.

However, I'm faster now. Back when I was 20, I thought I was doing really, really well if I could do 10km (in deep water) in an hour. 10kph  is the kayaker's 'evens'.  In deep water, I can do better than that.

In Feb I wrote about a week that destroyed me. Hmm - last week I did a 6.8km 'club race', 9km 'easy', 12 x 2m intervals one night, 4 interval pyramids (covering 11km). Paddled level with some of the faster people in the club. Oh, and cycled in/out of cam (20mile round trip) 7 days a week. Not wrecked or tired out. 

Yes you can get faster in your 50s.

Only thing is, I'm still losing weight. Eat as much as I can, but still getting skinnier.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #144 on: 10 July, 2019, 06:35:16 pm »
Have done 4 spin classes now, only got data from 2 so no idea whether progress is being made, lots of confusing factors anyway as I'm ramping up swimming training which is just making me feel tired until I adapt.

Looking at my old power data in Golden Cheetah I'm a long way off where I could be, but that means I should get to make good progress.

Have just rejigged by membership at the local council run leisure centre, was paying £32/month for swim membership but have bumped it up to £35/month which includes swimming as before, and unlimited gym usage and unlimited classes (such as the spin classes I was paying £8.50 for each). Bargain.

« Reply #145 on: 10 July, 2019, 07:32:17 pm »

I'm not, and I'll never be that fast again.

I was stupidly fit up to the age of 18. Weighed 2/3 of what I do now. Barely drank. Cycled or ran absolutely everywhere. Played football for hours every day. Swam several times a week, etc.

I then embraced the independence that University gave and collected a boatload of vices (almost all unhealthy of course) and stopped doing all but a few bits of exercise.

Approaching mid-40s I can definitely be faster than I ever was in my 20s/30s/40s though, but that's a very low bar to measure myself against.

By 45 I hope to bring my marathon time down from 5h07 to sub 4h. Sub 22min 5k from a PB of 24:30. I should get my 400m freestyle time down from 7m30 to under 5m45 although I'll be mainly training for distance rather than speed. 3 laps of RP down from 1h20 to well under 1h (which is evens). FTP up from 2.2W/kg to 4W/kg. Then again, I've had these (or similar) goals for the last 5 years and have yet to achieve them. Maybe regular spin classes are exactly what I need to poke my brain into doing more than 'just enough'.

« Reply #146 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:07:19 pm »

I'm not, and I'll never be that fast again.

Likewise.  Though I only rode bikes for enjoyment and didn't race then. :'( I just played football and american football.
Screwing up my knee in my mid 20s was when I started losing that fitness, and then my 30s I was busy with work and family. Now I've got free time I can't do the volume I did when I was younger, and I break much more easily. However, I have much more discipline, understanding, and technology now, so hopefully I can get pretty close to it over time.

« Reply #147 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:24:06 pm »
Screwing up my knee in my mid 20s was when I started losing that fitness, and then my 30s I was busy with work and family. Now I've got free time I can't do the volume I did when I was younger, and I break much more easily. However, I have much more discipline, understanding, and technology now, so hopefully I can get pretty close to it over time.

Motivation is an interesting one. I can motivate myself enough to do the minimal training required to get through whatever it is I want to do (Audaxes such as PBP/LEL, marathons or long swims) but I can never motivate myself to push myself to do the events as well as I probably could. Family does take up a chunk of time, but I've got one whole 9am-3pm day to myself whilst my daughter is at school, and there's no reason why I can't get back into the habit of filling that with a good solid set of training.

My plan is to use the spin classes (where there's someone there encouraging you to keep going and to push through) to help to get my CV fitness up (along with the usual swimming, cycling, running and 5-a-side) and then once I'm up to a reasonable level of fitness I'll get an triathlon coach (online) that will create a training plan to fit in with my lifestyle (family, children, holidays, etc) and keep me progressing. I know that if I have to email someone the FIT files from my Garmin each week I'll be much less likely to sack off the sessions with some random excuse.

It'll all change again in a couple of years when MiniGB starts secondary school...

simonp

« Reply #148 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:27:53 am »
I don't think I will get to 4W/kg. I am currently knocking on the door of 3. I'm doing a VO2max/gas exchange test next week which will hopefully show >3W/kg. I'm going to say my threshold will be in the 240-260W window (with 20W steps on the ramp).

The last time I had this test I was in the 260-280 bracket.

« Reply #149 on: 11 July, 2019, 01:11:47 pm »
I reckon for most of us who are training a reasonable amount, boosting W/kg is easier done by losing weight than by gaining power. I'm around 250W, the highest I've ever measured was 261 last year, but at 78kg that leaves me at 3.2 W/kg. I reckon if I tried really hard to lose weight, I could get to 70kg, and that would be above 3.5 W/kg, with the magic 4 only 30W away. At my current weight that would need another 60W!

I don't think I have enough motivation or enthusiasm to make it that far. I'm with Greenbank - I can train enough to be OK, but going the extra mile with either diet or training to actually be good is just too much.
When I was in my 20s I naturally settled a bit under 70kg. For American football I worked so hard to put on weight, and managed a couple of kg - if I stopped lifting it just fell off again. That would be so nice now! ::-)