Author Topic: Ultra-light down clothing  (Read 2724 times)

Ultra-light down clothing
« on: 07 July, 2016, 09:15:51 am »
Anyone used an ultra-light down jacket or vest while on tour? Have seen some going very cheap in the summer sales, but was wondering whether they're worth it. From what I've seen some people use them round camp or for extra warmth at night, as they're lighter/more packable than a fleece or jumper, but I gather they're only really suited to low-intensity activities (or extreme cold).

Ultra-light down clothing
« Reply #1 on: 07 July, 2016, 07:15:04 pm »
I have a RAB, long sleeve and wire hooded jobbie. I use it late autumn, winter and early spring for tours. I use it as soon as I'm off the bike. Down is a mission to wash all the time and degrades the insulation properties, so I avoid getting it sweaty and wear less while riding.

It rolls up to almost nothing and is very light. The model I have can wrap into it's own pocket, but I'm not so harsh and roll it up in one of those orange, mesh, kindling bags. Quicker to loft up. I love it. I've never been happier with a technical piece of clothing.

That said, I haven't made the jump to a down sleeping bag. It's always too wet and warm in the U.K. for me to be confident enough to justify a purchase.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
Re: Ultra-light down clothing
« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2016, 09:28:46 pm »
I haven't used a fleece in years, neither bushwalking or bicycle touring. Since dumping the fleece for my first down jacket, an Outdoor Research jacket I haven't looked back. I do only use it as a camp jacket, not a riding jacket but.

My latest acquisition is a Uniqlo Ultra Light Down jacket. Yet to use seriously camping but have been wearing on some days whilst visiting the UK. Your idea of summer does not much mine :)  Seems to work fairly well, but I am likely to get a brand name model for camping purposes.

Ultralight Outdoor Gear is good starting point to get a feel for what is on the market and it allows you to sort by weight.  If you are interested in ultralight gear, Backpacking Light forums are a good resource.

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2016, 12:00:00 am »
I use a primaloft jacket (this sort of thing), rather than down.
That's partly that I figure a jacket is more likely to get wet than a sleeping bag, and partly that I equate the stitch-through construction of lightweight down items with cold spots. The penalty is more pack size than weight.

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2016, 11:13:01 am »
I have a Golite Down Jacket got from Backpackinglight and a Rab Generator Smock. Both are better and pack smaller than a fleece, they both feel warmer on a campsite evening than any of my fleeces. I tend to use the Rab the most because it has a more durable feel to the outer pertex. The Golite however is lighter for the same warmth.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2016, 12:56:14 pm »
I have an Alpkit Filo down jacket.  I wouldn't classify it as 'ultra-light', but it scores highly on warmth for the compressed volume, and I usually take it with me when camping.  I recently discovered that a down jacket is better at warming my feet than socks and long trousers - it's all about core temperature.

It does make a fleece theoretically redundant in a lot of conditions, with the notable exception of washing-up type activities where a bulky garment you don't want to get wet with sleeves you can't roll up becomes problematic, and when it's actually raining.

« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2016, 02:50:23 pm »
Thanks - I was looking at some of the Uniqlo gear, which at £30 for a jacket (on sale) seems worth a punt.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2016, 05:10:45 pm »
I don't have any clothing of this sort but I used to have a bulkier down jacket with a hood. That was when I lived in Poland and it was great in the winters there. It was made by Cumulus who back then were a fairly small outfit but now seem to be known over here too. http://sleepingbags-cumulus.eu Rain has been mentioned as has different concepts of summer and even washing up! I was told when I bought mine that rain wasn't a problem for the simple reason that if it's warm enough to rain, it's too warm to wear a down jacket. Obviously snow melting could be a problem especially when entering a building, bus, etc, but you just brush it off first I guess. Anyway, I can't imagine how much thinner these jackets under discussion must be to be wearable in an English summer!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2016, 05:30:26 pm »
I don't think they're daytime summer wear, even with the summer we've had! Most of the examples I've seen are really very thin indeed - a cm or so maybe? I think the idea is you can easily layer them under a coat if required - in that sense they're meant to be a lighter more packable replacement for a fleece or jumper, rather than for a warm coat.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2016, 06:00:53 pm »
I think Primaloft is more practical for UK weather, where it will probably get wet at some point. Plus easier to wash if it gets dirty/sweaty.

I'm looking at the Montane Prism jacket or vest, it is fairly thin and lightweight, but should still be warmer than a fleece. Seems to be available for about £50 in the sales.