Author Topic: Winter jacket  (Read 1293 times)

Winter jacket
« on: October 12, 2016, 05:06:55 pm »
Hi Folks

Wondering what you recommend for the winter kit,living on the west coast of Scotland the biggest issue for me is keeping warmish on those long wet winter rides.Happy enough to put a light rain jacket over the top of it if things get bad but seek the nirvana of feeling warm rather than chilled to the bone

So what ticks the box then?

Cheers
Roberto

Re: Winter jacket
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 10:43:04 pm »
Paramo:

I have this one for all-round cycling, walking, camping usage.  Primary use is the bike.  Like it because it keeps you warm when you stop, but breathes and vents well when on the move.  Often find I wear it all day when others are adding and removing layers.

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=F7AB6778-6F62-445E-AEDB-6F36975ED08B&attributes=5A01410B-7BF6-46CC-8A97-FFEA0A577F6E,82122064-D94F-4D04-808A-437AFF01F28A

Or
The new bike specific jackets which were not as good a design when I bought mine but have been upgraded and look peachy.  Others rate the Quito too for a general purpose garment that's great for cycling.

The jackets are slightly more bulky than others but they're bloody worth it.  Comfortable, waterproof, breathable, warm.  Worth every penny when the weather closes in (mine worked a treat in the Outer Hebrides this summer .... on Harris the worst combination of hill, rain and wind I've ever experienced!

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:40:04 am »
grudgingly, another vote for paramo.  It's perfect for cycling in winter; warm, breathable, waterproof, comfy.. It's too warm for me if it's over 10 degrees or I'm pedalling hard, but it's my go-to winter coat for longer, slower rides or cold wet hikes without too much climbing (sweaty when working hard).

I have a quito and it's great, but just so **ugly**..   

(the trousers are absolutely amazing for winter walking too) (also ugly)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 08:54:23 am »
The Rapha Winter Windproof jersey.

Like a Log Fire it makes winter something to look forward to.

Not sure why they call it a jersey, it's a jacket in my opinion.  I think it may quality for a 30-day, money back, trial. 
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 01:04:24 pm »
Paramo:

I have this one for all-round cycling, walking, camping usage.  Primary use is the bike.  Like it because it keeps you warm when you stop, but breathes and vents well when on the move.  Often find I wear it all day when others are adding and removing layers.

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=F7AB6778-6F62-445E-AEDB-6F36975ED08B&attributes=5A01410B-7BF6-46CC-8A97-FFEA0A577F6E,82122064-D94F-4D04-808A-437AFF01F28A

Or
The new bike specific jackets which were not as good a design when I bought mine but have been upgraded and look peachy.  Others rate the Quito too for a general purpose garment that's great for cycling.

The jackets are slightly more bulky than others but they're bloody worth it.  Comfortable, waterproof, breathable, warm.  Worth every penny when the weather closes in (mine worked a treat in the Outer Hebrides this summer .... on Harris the worst combination of hill, rain and wind I've ever experienced!
Isn't the hood a bit of a hindrance when cycling?
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 02:28:53 pm »
Castelli Gabba. :thumbsup: I use a hardshell rain jacket when it's properly raining, but for general autumn/winter/spring use it's fine.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:38:12 pm »
i've got a Paramo Ciclo and for when it isn't wet a Assos 851 jacket

If it's really cold I might wear both but then I am a wozzy
Audaxing Blog follow @vorsprungbike on

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 03:17:25 pm »
The Giordana jacket is a pretty standard bit of winter kit, similar to the Gabba but less expensive.  I've got one and I'd certainly get another.
Latest tour journal: Bucharest to Berlin

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »
Paramo is good but my favourite winter jacket is one of these:

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cycling_Double_Ventile_Jacket.html

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 06:51:44 pm »
Paramo is good but my favourite winter jacket is one of these:

http://www.hilltrek.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Cycling_Double_Ventile_Jacket.html
I've got one of those! It's waterproof, warm, has numerous capacious pockets and is excellent when you want something that doesn't impede cycling (or walking) but doesn't look "cyclist". It's a bit too warm often, in fact. And mine needs a wash! They've put the price up quite a bit since I got mine as well...
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:01:30 pm »
layers of merino (number depending on temperature) and windproof on top if dry, waterproof if wet

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 07:05:52 am »
layers of merino (number depending on temperature) and windproof on top if dry, waterproof if wet

This, Berghaus windstopper jacket for the wind proof, ProViz or Altura Night Vision for the waterproof.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 11:46:01 am »

This, Berghaus windstopper jacket for the wind proof, ProViz or Altura Night Vision for the waterproof.

If you tend to sweat, like me, then I wouldn't consider the Altura Night-Vision.  I gave mine away it was so clammy.

I predict that, in the distant future, cyclists will still be on the search for a non-sweaty waterproof.

I have a Castelli Gabba jersey.  It's the best thing I've ever worn in terms of not feeling sweaty in a waterproof (it fits so snugly that it never feels clammy, even when wet), but it has quite a specific range of conditions when you can wear it without boiling or freezing.  I'd say it's the best jersey you can wear in "mild to cool" conditions if you think you may have a few showers whilst riding. Used with Nanoflex arm warmers it's great for cool Autumn and Spring rides.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
Paramo.

Isn't the hood a bit of a hindrance when cycling?

A bit.

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 01:41:49 pm »
Paramo +1
'Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence'.

Martin John Rees.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 01:56:51 pm »
When it gets cold I'm a big fan of my Foska jacket. But their designs may not be for everybody...

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2016, 02:50:52 pm »
When it gets cold I'm a big fan of my Foska jacket. But their designs may not be for everybody...

+1 for the Foska jackets.

Great value if you can get one in a sale. But, I agree it needs to be cold. They live up to the name "Toastie jackets". Great for winter use.

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2016, 05:51:52 pm »
Last winter I bought a Decathlon 700 series winter warm cycling jacket.
It's hi-viz orange with loads of reflective dots appliqued onto the ends of the sleeves, shoulders and waist.
This year's equivalent is fluorescent yellow all-round, or more sublt ein blue or white and black, but without the reflective overkill: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/700-warm-cycling-jacket-black-blue-id_8369415.html
It is not subtle, but it is very warm, windproof and well-designed. It's pretty water resistant as well. If you are in the sort of light rain where you can "sweat out" the rain as it settles, then this thing is great. In long, persistant rain, you will want a waterproof shell over the top.
Road.cc tested the BTwin 520 which is a very similar jacket: http://road.cc/content/review/179130-btwin-520-warm-cycling-jacket