Author Topic: TURP procedure.  (Read 1335 times)

TURP procedure.
« on: 23 February, 2024, 06:58:20 pm »
Has anyone on this platform had this procedure?  If so, what is the likely time off the bike or even gently turbo training?

Re: TURP procedure.
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2024, 08:33:39 pm »
I had the TURP (trans urethral resection of the prostate) about 14 years ago. I had an epidural anaesthetic which worked well.
The TURP is keyhole surgery going in at the penis tip and along the urethra to the prostate where excess internal flesh is cut out using laser or an electric heated element to reduce bleeding at the site. This procedure will drastically improve your urine flow afterwards(!) once the Foley catheter is removed in hospital. The Foley catheter is a device for flushing the bladder and operation site for a time after the procedure until healing is presumed to have started. Having the catheter removed was probably the most pain I experienced but it is over in seconds.
The site will be sore internally and bleed for a small number of days, you may pass blood in your urine, you will need some rest.
When cycling you will be putting pressure on the prostate area, maybe a cutout top saddle might help.
I suspect you will be advised to stay off the bike for 3 weeks.
I hope this helps and is not too much information.

I recommend proceeding with the TURP if your lifestyle is being impacted by an always full bladder due to an inability to empty it fully. I had reached needing to urinate hourly due to an ever full bladder, I have had 14 useful years since the TURP.
You may like me be diagnosed with prostate cancer when the chips cut out are analysed, but I am still here and hope to die with it rather than from it.

« Reply #2 on: 24 February, 2024, 09:15:15 am »
Thanks Julk. Not too much information at all. I have researched the procedure and am fully aware of what is involved. I was interested in the recovery outcome for cyclists. I expect recovery is quite variable and as you suggest, 3 weeks off the bike is a probable outcome.
Ive been waiting since 2019 for this op. Covid likely delayed mine and many other operations.

« Reply #3 on: 24 February, 2024, 09:27:44 am »
Having it done by the Da Vinci robot is said to improve results.

« Reply #4 on: 25 February, 2024, 03:59:51 pm »
Andy,
it sounds like you have been waiting rather a long time for your op.

When I was bladder full all the time, I was put onto self catheterisation to give my bladder a chance to recover some elasticity by being emptied occasionally. You may have reached the stage where it is worth mentioning to your medical contact as a possibility. If worthwhile, it will reduce the recovery time for your bladder after the op.

I wish you all the best for a speedy op.
Julian.

« Reply #5 on: 25 February, 2024, 08:14:16 pm »
Thanks Julk.
I've only a fortnight to go. First time I've ever felt anxious regarding anything medical. Got to 63 and feel I've been fortunate so far. Wishing the next few months away.

« Reply #6 on: 25 February, 2024, 08:45:00 pm »
A friend in our club had that procedure and he was only off the bike for about three weeks.
I, on the other hand, had a A radical prostatectomy, which prevented me doing any exercise for
about eight weeks. It didn't take me too long to get cycling fitness back, but the operation
has resulted in a pain in my piriformis region, which still persists some 17 months later.
This prevents me from doing any meaningful running.

« Reply #7 on: 27 February, 2024, 06:38:07 pm »
I was admitted to hospital with what was described by one consultant as a "humungous" prostate and was on the brink of kidney failure.

After being catheterised and stabilised I was then released from hospital three days later.

While waiting to see another consultant, due to the catheter and bag I was unable to sit on a saddle. However, due to owning a recumbent trike I was able to continue riding.

When meeting with the consultant I was offered either a TURP or HOLEP procedure. Both procedures are similar but the HOLEP gives a permanent prostate reduction, whereas with TURP there is the possibility of the prostate re-growing and requiring further surgery after around 10 years. I opted for HOLEP.

I waited 8 months for my appointment, all that time with a catheter and bag fitted.

After my procedure I spent two nights in hospital and was released, still fitted with a catheter, but one of a larger bore. Also still had the bag fitted.

Two days later I was back on my trike.

After 10 days I went back and had the catheter and bag removed. Still carried on riding the trike for a week and then tried a test ride back on my normal bike. A bit uncomfortable, but managed 20 miles.

Eight months since my catheter removal I'm now doing rides of up to 100 miles and hope to build up to longer rides once the weather improves.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2024, 10:11:54 am »
Andy,
Good luck with your TURP, due soon.
It is, and has been for many years, the gold standard op for enlarged prostate.
Wishing you well.
Julian.

« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2024, 11:52:57 am »
Belated thanks for replies all. Had my TURP operation this morning. Spinal anaesthetic. Looking forward to spinning through the lanes ASAP.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #10 on: 15 March, 2024, 12:57:04 pm »
Hope recovery goes well from here on, you get home soon and it's not too painful once the spinal wears off.

« Reply #11 on: 15 March, 2024, 01:33:33 pm »
Andy,
best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.
Hopefully back on the bike for when the weather improves.
Julian

« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:29:36 pm »
Thanks Julk and Barakta. Procedure carried out 10amFriday15/3/24. Epidural anaesthetic worked a treat so no groginess. Consumed enough water to float The Queen Mary. About to go home, just one more wee.
The surgeons and support team at Stevenage Lister have been exemplary.
Hopefully from now on my cycling chums needn't call out for my favourite pee stops.
I felt like a dog marking its territory for the last decade.  See you awheel , kind people.

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:32:20 pm »
Best wishes to you Andy W, glad it all went smoothly.

« Reply #14 on: 16 March, 2024, 12:56:10 pm »
Thanks Sgt. Pluck

« Reply #15 on: 16 March, 2024, 05:18:27 pm »
Good luck with the recovery.

« Reply #16 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:06:27 pm »
Hope that you heal quickly and can soon get back to riding.
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #17 on: 16 March, 2024, 07:33:47 pm »
Thank also to Chis and Blade.
Grateful for all support on this matter. A lot of good people on yacf.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: 17 March, 2024, 08:25:16 am »
Glad you are on the mend.  ;)

« Reply #19 on: 17 March, 2024, 08:59:36 am »
 :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: 20 March, 2024, 05:36:43 pm »
Ill wrap this up shortly but before i do a quick thanks to Canardly and Bloodwyn.
For any men that might stumble across this thread and are perhaps anxious, with regard to having surgery "down there" ill add that the operation was completely pain free, that includes loca anaesthetic in lower spine and administering the epidural.
Its been five days since the procedure and i can confirm that i can pee like i did when i was 18 years old. An add3d benefit is that a lower abdominal pain that i endured for approximately a decade, probably caused by not voiding my bladder, has gone. I cant remember feeling so pain free for years. The pain did vary from mildly uncomfortable to quite acute pain only partially relieved upon urinating.
Please, if any of you men experience an inability to pee properly i would urge you to see a Urologist.
Andy

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #21 on: 20 March, 2024, 09:11:41 pm »
That is brilliant news Andy! You are kind to give such good feedback for other men who may have this difficulty too. I hope your recovery continues to be smooth.