Author Topic: Bike Radar, wow... and snigger  (Read 1973 times)

Bike Radar, wow... and snigger
« on: 02 July, 2015, 04:31:04 pm »
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/07/garmins-varia-radar-lights.html

After reading up on the new Edge 520 I noticed the Garmin Bike Radar. The geek in me is suitably impressed, while the more practical engineer side of me thinks the mirror I currently have on my bike glasses will never need charging  :)

Si_Co

Re: Bike Radar, wow... and snigger
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2015, 04:43:39 pm »
So that's the "bike radar" in the "cockpit" sorted, just need the laser guided missiles now.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2015, 05:52:40 pm »
After reading up on the new Edge 520 I noticed the Garmin Bike Radar. The geek in me is suitably impressed, while the more practical engineer side of me thinks the mirror I currently have on my bike glasses will never need charging  :)

Agreed.  It's a lovely little piece of technology doing a job that's largely pointless.

I expect that Garmin will sell more than a few of them as birthday presents for rich MAMILs, though, which is the ultimate point.

I can imagine some hearing impaired cyclists finding it useful, but probably not as much as a decent mirror.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 02 July, 2015, 07:15:48 pm »
A more sophisticated version could be used to monitor whether the peloton is gaining on your breakaway.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 02 July, 2015, 08:37:22 pm »
A more sophisticated version could be used to monitor whether the peloton is gaining on your breakaway.

A still more sophisticated version could be used to make the peloton think they'd caught you whereas in fact, invisible to them, you were still way out in front and pulling away.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2015, 06:48:52 am »
The 'bike radar' tells you there's a car approaching.
Then you shit yourself worrying if its going to hit you.

I'd rather not know and arrive in heaven ignorant.

« Reply #6 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:07:02 am »
Use it to fire guided missiles to eliminate the threat  :demon:
the slower you go the more you see