Author Topic: Re proof cotton duck carradice panniers and saddle bags  (Read 7032 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Re proof cotton duck carradice panniers and saddle bags
« on: 03 September, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »
I've had my saddle bag for around 10 years and it still looks good though I'm thinking about re-proofing with clear boot / shoe polish ? Anyone tried this ? before I try it myself. Also I'm thinking of doing my Brooks leather saddle with the shoe polish or should I fork out the best part of £10 for the Carradice and Brookes re-proof ?

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Re proof cotton duck carradice panniers and saddle bags
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2010, 05:06:56 pm »
Nikwax
Getting there...

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2010, 05:08:48 pm »
Hi :) Nikwax ? never heard of Nikwax. So what is it ?

border-rider

« Reply #3 on: 03 September, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »
There's a specific product for doing this this.  I re-did mine years ago - on advice from Mr Blacksheep - and I have some left in the garage.  I'll take a look at what it's called in a short while.  Just having a cuppa now :)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #4 on: 03 September, 2010, 05:13:17 pm »
Thanks.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 03 September, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
OK

I have an old can of Lincoln Cotton Duck waterproofer in the garage.  It cost £7.95 several years ago and I used about half of it to reproof a Super-C

Euan Uzami

« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2010, 05:34:26 pm »
http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=accessories
first item.

also remember reading you can use grangers wax to do it, can't find where though

« Reply #7 on: 05 September, 2010, 12:08:41 am »
Or just put stuff in a strong plastic bag inside the saddle bag. I do that anyway on the basis that it's not going to be completely waterproof at the best of times.

Zoidburg

« Reply #8 on: 09 September, 2010, 05:58:27 pm »
Thomsons Aqua Seal.

Does tents as well.

donpedro

• ain`t haulin` any lambs to the marketplace anymore
    • But, I'm Swedish!
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:11:08 am »
Shoe polish is for shoes, m'kay!  :o
Fjällräven Greenland Wax is similar to Carradice own product. But it's easier to use and fairly environmental friendly. Was common in Scandinavia before synthetic garments took over. Rub on and heat with a hair dryer or old iron. Repeat multiple times and it's as good as new. Last longer than spray on products and strengthen the fibres so it protect against wear. Can be used on any product of natural fibres like ropes, backpacks and shoes and is easy to bring. What Ray Mears and the heroes of Telemark would have used... ; )
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #10 on: 01 September, 2014, 08:07:00 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread I know! I've just greenland waxed my super C audax bag and it's worked a treat :)