Author Topic: A tip for GPS Audaxers  (Read 2486 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
A tip for GPS Audaxers
« on: 31 May, 2011, 12:18:44 pm »
(I have a Garmin 705) Recently I changed the way I deal with controls and how far to the next one. On the map page of the Garmin, which I use to follow the purple line, I set Distance to destination as one of two data fields showing.

When I get the route sheet I work out how far it is from each control to the finish. So even if I got off route badly, the distance to the finish less the distance from the next control to the finish gives me how far to the next control.

(I don't program in all the controls - too much faff)
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: A tip for GPS Audaxers
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:35:45 pm »
If I understand you correctly, doesn't that rather depend on everything being straight lines?  My understanding is (on an Etrex Legend, but surely the principle is the same?) that the "distance to next" is as-the-crow-flies.  Which on country lanes is often very different.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:37:39 pm »
Not on the 705 - it gives absolute distance left on the gpxx route you have put in the machine.

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »
Oh.  Right.  Sorry I interrupted :D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2011, 01:46:15 pm »
I have my eTrex set to toggle between the map page with no data fields and the computer pageTM F. Frankie (which I only ever look at to check the time).

Speed, distance, time to dest, etc. is mostly irrelevant because at any one time I'm travelling as fast as I can/want, and life's too short to watch the seconds/kms click away. I find.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:10:36 pm »
Oh.  Right.  Sorry I interrupted :D

You were welcome!  ;D

« Reply #6 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:32:47 pm »
I have my eTrex set to toggle between the map page with no data fields and the computer pageTM F. Frankie (which I only ever look at to check the time).

Speed, distance, time to dest, etc. is mostly irrelevant because at any one time I'm travelling as fast as I can/want, and life's too short to watch the seconds/kms click away. I find.

+1. Map page with no data fields, just a cyan track and the purple route.

Computer page just tells me time, speed and elevation. If I do need to occupy my mind I switch to the second computer page (hit enter whilst on the first computer page) which I have setup to show me all of the magic numbers (time, distance, etc) where I can work out if I'm going to make it or not.

I also do each leg between controls as a lap, and have 'lap average speed' on the second page so I can check I'm making good progress (i.e. I want to keep that above 18kph or so for a hilly ride).

The vast majority of the time the GPS is on the map page so i can make sure I'm going the right way (and that the route matches the track).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 31 May, 2011, 02:38:28 pm »
When using my Legend on a an audax, I set the map page to have two data fields - distance to next and name of next.  I find it difficult to read the name on the routepoints, so having it as a data field helps.  When not audaxing I don't show data fields.

I use my permanently-attached Cateye Enduro for distance, and my watch for time.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #8 on: 31 May, 2011, 03:18:23 pm »
My point was that if you go off-route for any reason, your distance accumulated is no longer of great use, unless you know how far off route you have gone

« Reply #9 on: 31 May, 2011, 03:28:27 pm »
(I have a Garmin 705) Recently I changed the way I deal with controls and how far to the next one. On the map page of the Garmin, which I use to follow the purple line, I set Distance to destination as one of two data fields showing.

When I get the route sheet I work out how far it is from each control to the finish. So even if I got off route badly, the distance to the finish less the distance from the next control to the finish gives me how far to the next control.

(I don't program in all the controls - too much faff)

As you use GPXX on a 705, Jaded, there's one other thing you can experiment with. I've not tried this in practice (just thought of it) but it should work.

Once you've finalised your GPXX, do the download from BikeHike as normal and then add a "coursepoint" for each control / info control / selected places on route, giving each a symbol and short name. Download again, this time as a TCX (course). You could also set a value for your expected average speed at this point. Put the TCX file into Garmin\Courses.

When you do the event, set the TCX course file going simultaneously with the GPXX. (From the menu do Training -> Courses). You should then get turn by turn from the GPXX and notification of controls from the TCX. (As a backup, the TCX will also display the route independently of the GPXX and will beep "off course" if you ever missed a turn).

There are several data fields and a separate data page related specifically to courses (course pt distance, distance to crs and time to crs are three of the fields. See Settings -> Data Fields -> Courses). I think the distance to crs would show the distance to the next control and the time to crs would be an estimate based on the average speed you entered during the download. When you reach a coursepoint the unit beeps and displays the coursepoint name. (You could set the coursepoint just before the real point for some warning).

There is also a further data page that only shows when you are "following a course" and that contains a list of all the remaining coursepoints (hence list of remaining controls) with their distances and expected times. (Using a TCX this way is very similar to Garmin's original intention for this data page which is to show a "road book" containing, for instance, a list of cols, sprint points, feed stations on a race with their expected arrival times and distances. In fact, adding the coursepoints using BikeRouteToaster or Garmin MapSource gives a greater range of symbols than those offered via BikeHike).

Shaun