Author Topic: Baby names  (Read 10948 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Baby names
« Reply #75 on: 07 December, 2018, 04:44:55 pm »
Actually it did occur to me you meant Polish but only after posting. Hebrew was what first came to my mind because of it being written without the vowels (so I thought – Helly has posted the correct version above).

Anyway, Polish doesn't even have Q or X (nor V)! (but still manages to have 32 letters... )

By the way, that's a rather obscure film for anyone outside Poland to be quoting.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #76 on: 07 December, 2018, 06:10:15 pm »
I also thought of SRV.

Whereas I immediately thought of 'Phoenix Nights'.

What that says about my intellectual level I'll leave up to you...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #77 on: 07 December, 2018, 06:38:26 pm »
Actually it did occur to me you meant Polish but only after posting. Hebrew was what first came to my mind because of it being written without the vowels (so I thought – Helly has posted the correct version above).

Anyway, Polish doesn't even have Q or X (nor V)! (but still manages to have 32 letters... )

By the way, that's a rather obscure film for anyone outside Poland to be quoting.  :thumbsup:

I did try to learn a little polish before a short trip a couple of years ago, but gave up fairly early on through lack of time, making do with a phrase books and such languages as I could stumble through on. I remembered coming across that clip, though.

The hebrew vowel thing is curious, in some ways like writing cn ths b ndrstd? to which the answer is normally yes. The basic simplicity of Hebrew grammar is helpful, as there is a lot of consistency. Most verbs have three letter roots, most conjugations are similar as are most plurals. However, if you thought you would get off easy, there are two different pronunciations (Ashkenazi and sephardi) of the same vowel sets. There are also notations which change the letter sound, from v to oo, p to f, or s to sh for example. all of those are ditched with the vowels in any writing. As a saving grace, there are limited occasions where changing the vowels changes the meaning.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #78 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:26:14 pm »

I did try to learn a little polish before a short trip a couple of years ago, but gave up fairly early on through lack of time, making do with a phrase books and such languages as I could stumble through on. I remembered coming across that clip, though.

The hebrew vowel thing is curious, in some ways like writing cn ths b ndrstd? to which the answer is normally yes. The basic simplicity of Hebrew grammar is helpful, as there is a lot of consistency. Most verbs have three letter roots, most conjugations are similar as are most plurals. However, if you thought you would get off easy, there are two different pronunciations (Ashkenazi and sephardi) of the same vowel sets. There are also notations which change the letter sound, from v to oo, p to f, or s to sh for example. all of those are ditched with the vowels in any writing. As a saving grace, there are limited occasions where changing the vowels changes the meaning.
So the same letter can be either a consonant or a vowel?  :o Why why yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?  ;)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #79 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:43:42 pm »
As a deaf dyslexic I am in jealous awe of people who can learn other languages. ☹️
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #80 on: 23 December, 2018, 10:06:09 pm »
So the same letter can be either a consonant or a vowel?  :o Why why yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?  ;)

Don't the Welsh pull a similar trick with their 'w's? If 'w' is pronounced 'oo' OR 'w' and many languages swivel between 'v' and 'w' pronunciation and writing u/v/w are interchangeable in several lines of language evolution....
Likewise 'i' and 'y' are used as both vowel and consonant. You can see what's sticky about stickiness...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #81 on: 24 December, 2018, 09:33:57 pm »
Back to baby names...

I am relieved these kind cops had conventional names...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-46675306

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #82 on: 25 December, 2018, 12:48:36 pm »

Don't the Welsh pull a similar trick with their 'w's? If 'w' is pronounced 'oo' OR 'w' and many languages swivel between 'v' and 'w' pronunciation and writing u/v/w are interchangeable in several lines of language evolution....
Likewise 'i' and 'y' are used as both vowel and consonant. You can see what's sticky about stickiness...
See above.  ;)