Author Topic: Route advice please - Severn Bridge to Cardigan  (Read 2625 times)

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
Route advice please - Severn Bridge to Cardigan
« on: 24 May, 2016, 08:58:51 pm »
I'm planning to ride a 200(+) from Bristol to Cardigan on Saturday, and am seeking advice on route. I'd like it to be fairly quick but also relatively safe (it's a bank holiday Saturday).
Going straight from Chepstow to Cardigan using BikeHike goes:
(A466 N to)
B4293 Devauden
Minor road Star Hill, Llansey, Raglan
A40 Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Brecon, Llandovery
Minor rds Siloh, Porthyrhyd, Maestwynog
A482 to 1st L
Minor roads Llansawel, Rhydcymerau, Llanllwni
B4336 Llandysul
A486 Horeb
A475 Newcastle Emlyn
B4333 Cwm-cou
B4570 Cardigan

Comes up as 202km with 2570m ascent from my start point.

Expect to be through Abergavenny before it's too busy, but wouldn't be getting to Llandovery til coffee/lunch time. Should I avoid the A40 from Aber to Llandovery?

Anywhere recommended for a nice pub lunch, either in Llandovery or in the 40km or so after?

TIA for any advice.

Reg
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Re: Route advice please - Severn Bridge to Cardigan
« Reply #1 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:19:06 pm »
I'm planning to ride a 200(+) from Bristol to Cardigan on Saturday, and am seeking advice on route. I'd like it to be fairly quick but also relatively safe (it's a bank holiday Saturday).
Going straight from Chepstow to Cardigan using BikeHike goes:
(A466 N to)
B4293 Devauden
Minor road Star Hill, Llansey, Raglan
A40 Abergavenny, Crickhowell, Brecon, Llandovery
Minor rds Siloh, Porthyrhyd, Maestwynog
A482 to 1st L
Minor roads Llansawel, Rhydcymerau, Llanllwni
B4336 Llandysul
A486 Horeb
A475 Newcastle Emlyn
B4333 Cwm-cou
B4570 Cardigan

Comes up as 202km with 2570m ascent from my start point.

Expect to be through Abergavenny before it's too busy, but wouldn't be getting to Llandovery til coffee/lunch time. Should I avoid the A40 from Aber to Llandovery?

Anywhere recommended for a nice pub lunch, either in Llandovery or in the 40km or so after?

TIA for any advice.

Reg
On your own on the A40 can be fairly grim.

From Raglan to Abergavenny I assume your taking B4598 (the one that parallels the A40).
from Abergavenny to brec on there's the b road to the south of the A40. Once you get to Brecon,  there's a lane parallel to the north of the A40. You can follow the lane past the north of Crickhowell and it drops on to the A40 just to the east of Tretower.  From then it's about another mile of flat followed by the long drop into Llandovery.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #2 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:19:13 pm »
Hi Reg

if I may suggest why not use combinations of BCM / BC to get from at least Chepstow to Brecon; ie

Chepstow over B4235 to Usk; B4598 out of Usk and then after c7km fork left to llanellen---nice country lane takes you around west side of Abergavenny avoiding major roundabout , cross A4042, head towards Govilon then Gilwern then B4558 to Talybont on Usk then along to Brecon where either take Mynnydd Illtyd road up and over and drop back to A40 near Sennybridge or take lanes to north side A40 via Aberbran / Trallong to again join A40 near Sennybridge. From Llandovery can`t really advise.

I personally would use A40 as little as possible but AFAIK it` s difficult to find reasonable alternatives beyond Sennybridge without going up hilly lanes.

sort of along these lines  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13952426

safe riding  :thumbsup: 
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:22:29 pm »
Based on my bcm experience I'd avoid the a40 between abergavenny and brecon . There s a nice collection of parallel southern roads that's welsh audaxers would use. Nice 200

Phil W

« Reply #4 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:27:35 pm »
I rode the Abergavenny - Raglan - Chepstow the opposite way when my GPS locked up on the BC400 a few weeks back. The bit between Chepstow and Raglan has some steep hills but favourable in the direction you go. The A40 between Raglan and Abergavenny is dual carriageway. I rode it earlyish hours on a Sunday. A few cars didn't overtake in the empty outside line but fortunately I was off it before much traffic appeared. 

I'd take the route the BCM600 takes. So pick up the B road to Usk, small bit of A road before Usk, then B road to Abergavenny. A40 from Abergavenny west I thought was fine and not as busy as the A roads I'm used to. You'll get motorbikes out and about on those roads, some on the BCM complained of close and fast passes. The A road up to Llandovery is on the local motorcycle loop I spoke to a few at the West End cafe on the BC400.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:32:23 pm »
Hi.  I live in the Llandysul area.  Here are my local tips.

Do not do Llandysul  to Newcastle Emlyn via Horeb.  It is brutal.  Unless brutal is what you like.
My usual route is A486 to Pentre-Cwrt - B4335 - A484.   Almost flat (for Wales)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #6 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »
Oh Horeb is a great section  :) Dave Lewis included it on his  400 event
But really go through tal bont on  usk the a 40 is best avoided unless you like traffic or need to get there quick

*edit A40 abergavenny to brecon is not pleasant , but A40 brecon to llandovery is ok*

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:03:34 pm »
I've ridden from Brum to Llandysul many times.  I've always found the A40 after Brecon on that route to be fine.  OK, it's a bank holiday, but by Saturday afternoon most people will have reached their destinations and the roads shouldn't be excessively busy.  However.  There WILL be motorcycles.
My route from Llandovery is A482 to Lampeter then follow NCR82 via Llanybydder to Llandysul.  (But as I live right on NCR82, I would, wouldn't I?)
Your route takes you right over Llanllwni Mountain.  Nice if you've got the legs.  If you have, I bet it's lovely though.

IF you do decide to ride NCR82,  DO NOT follow it as it turns right off the main road just as you are leaving Lampeter.  It will take you up and down some pointless gratuitous hills for no apparent reason and then finally dump you back on the main road anyway .

What time of day do you think you will be in the Llandysul area?

Edited to include the words "After Brecon".   

Reg.T

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:12:20 pm »
Thanks for all the input. Plenty to think about, and I'm sure I'll include some of those proposed changes.

What time of day do you think you will be in the Llandysul area?
Depends what time I start, but current best guess around 3pm, give or take an hour.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2016, 11:12:27 pm »

Might be a bit late to eat in this area.
If you take the Llanllwni route, the Bell http://www.thebelle.co.uk
If you take the Lampeter route, Tavern Jem. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g552046-d787173-Reviews-Tafarn_Jem-Lampeter_Ceredigion_Wales.html. (and it's all downhill to Lampeter from there. Well, after the first half mile)
Llandysul is mostly closed on Saturday afternoon.
There are loads of pubs and cafés in Lampeter but I've never eaten there so can't advise.

Unlike several here, I don't actually like the West End Cafe, but it might be best to eat before you leave Llandovery if you're running late.
The chippie is good.  You can eat in, or buy take out to the tables of the pub opposite (the name escapes me) and add a pint.

Reg.T

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2016, 11:37:53 pm »
Thanks again for the advice. Rode something very close to James' RWGPS suggestion to Llandovery, which worked well. Then diverted a bit further north to Basil's suggestion of the Tafarn Jem for a lovely lunch with my gf (who was driving over).
After that it was over to Lampeter and the A475 (via Horeb) to Newcastle Emlyn, which was a bit hilly but I hadn't time to find a better alternative from Lampeter. Also took the B4570 from N.Emlyn to Cardigan, rather than the A484, which may not have been optimal given how I was feeling at the time.
But overall a great ride on a lovely day, which was followed by 2 days of relaxing on sunny beaches and a lift home.
ETA: Garmin shows 213km with 3100m ascent.

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2016, 06:51:40 am »
Good to hear it worked out well  :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2016, 01:27:43 pm »
.... and now on the results to prove it! AAAs awaited I hope.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 07 July, 2016, 03:47:49 pm »
Meanwhile, much much later.
I have now tried your route from Lampeter to Newcastle Emlyn vs mine.

Yours via Horeb:. 18.8 miles.  1658 ft climbing

Mine via Llandysul:  23.1 miles.  1381 ft.

Not as much in it as I'd guessed.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway.

Ben T

« Reply #14 on: 07 July, 2016, 07:00:51 pm »
Definitely avoid the A40 carmarthen to st clears - grim