Author Topic: Last Chance Dales Dance 200  (Read 3317 times)

Andy Corless

• Doesn't take the p***, says it as it is!
Last Chance Dales Dance 200
« on: 19 June, 2014, 06:13:04 pm »
This year's event is set for Sunday 28 September 2014.

Starting from the village of Pendleton, Lancashire, the clockwise route passes through the Ribble Valley and Yorkshire Dales National Park. There are only 2 controls but in good, cyclists' friendly welcome cafes.
Buttertubs Pass and Greenhow Hill are just 2 of the legendary cyclists climbs on the event. Also a chance to ride some of the roads used on stage one of this year's Tour de France.

Free parking available throughout the event in the adjacent car-park and also free breakfast, typically cereal/toast, tea/coffee/juice available at the start. Refreshments will also be available at the finish.

Previous editions have received some plausible comments on the yacf forum.

You can get a flavour of the ride by reading Peter Bond's brilliant ride report from the 2011 edition here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53743.0

Entry fee: £5.

Andy Corless
Organiser

Re: Last Chance Dales Dance 200
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »
Just read Peter's great report and also looked at the route. I am very, very interested in this. Currently not up to audax distance due to a shoulder injury but would like to finish the season in style if possible. I don't want to book a place yet in case I DNS. I see entries have to be in 2 weeks before the event. Will there be a strict limit on numbers?
Started audax with LEL & SR in 2013. Currently working on fitness and trying for a RRtY in 2024. Event organiser, Arrivée photo contributor & LEL controller

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2014, 09:38:09 pm »
Cheers, D.  I hope to do this one again, this year. For various reasons I've missed Andy's rides lately.  It's very unlikely to be full up - they're very hard!

Get well soon!

Peter

« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2014, 11:38:43 pm »
Just read Peter's ride report and it sounds a super route. I'm surprised it isn't over 200km really.

I really don't like Greenhow though, in either direction. Down it just scares me, too steep and fast, and I always worry my rims are getting hot as I descend towards the really steep bit at the bottom.   

Going up I just feel I'm too slow for the amount of traffic I seem to find there, plus it's quite a long drag, even after you're past the steepest sections.

The road from Masham to Lofthouse is glorious, though I, perhaps foolishly, prefer to climb out of Lofthouse. It feels like 3 fierce sections before it eases, but after the grind the climbing's mostly done and the run down past the reservoirs is beautiful.

One to keep in mind

Mike

Andy Corless

« Reply #4 on: 20 June, 2014, 04:26:30 pm »
The route is 202km. This route doesn't go to Masham; it leaves the main A6108 road shortly after Jervaulx Abbey and climbs from Ellingstring over to Lofthouse, passing Leighton Reservoir to How Stean Gorge, the 2nd control.

Greenhow Hill is the last of the major climbs.

Andy Corless
Organiser

Andy Corless

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2014, 06:37:10 pm »
Just to let you know I've managed to secure the village hall at Pendleton for this year's event, so the event will definitely start from there. An early morning ride through the Ribble Valley is followed by a pleasant ride through 3-peaks country before climbing over the Buttertubs into Swaledale. The latter part of the ride focuses on an area lying on the eastern fringes of the Yorkshire Dales. Greenhow Hill is the last major challenge before the by now familiar main-road bash down the A59. Also a chance to ride some of the iconic climbs ridden on stage one of this year's Tour de France, including the Cote de Buttertubs and Cote de Grinton Moor. 9 entries so far.

Andy Corless

« Reply #6 on: 24 August, 2014, 10:46:45 am »
Hmm. I loved this ride. Would like to do it again without the insanity of trying to follow young Chris Smith's wheel. It was a blur.

« Reply #7 on: 24 August, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
Did this in 2012, great if not very wet ride that day. 

It's a hard ride, but would you expect anything less from Andy, thinking I should re-visit this year.

« Reply #8 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:39:09 pm »
Hi

Looking forward to this, however not being overly familiar with the area i was wondering if anyone has a GPX files of either of the 2 routes.

Cheers, Graham

« Reply #9 on: 08 September, 2014, 09:51:18 pm »

HiLooking forward to this, however not being overly familiar with the area i was wondering if anyone has a GPX files of either of the 2 routes.Cheers, Graham

Here's my track from the 2012 rainfest, doubt the route will have changed. It is a very easy route sheet to follow as there are so few turnings - a fantastic route.

« Reply #10 on: 09 September, 2014, 10:28:17 pm »
Thanks TC

Andy Corless

« Reply #11 on: 22 September, 2014, 11:00:38 am »
Still not too late to enter this event taking place this Sunday. Exactly what it says in the title. I'll be accepting entries until Saturday night. 39 entries so far.

Andy Corless
Organiser

« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2014, 10:54:50 pm »
First time for me on this today. Toughest ride I've ever done. Hills, more hills and then, just as you thought it was easing off, even more hills. Some thrilling descents too!

Thanks to Andy for the event.

I had the pleasure of meeting, amongst others, Mr Tail End Charlie and his friend Chris. Both were very sociable with me at various times during the ride so thanks for that. Lots of other nice participants too but names I don't know.

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2014, 07:39:43 am »
A fantastic day out on the bike - near perfect conditions. A slightly grey start but mild, but the sun made an appearance around lunch time, stayed out for the afternoon and provided a wonderful sunset as I neared the Arrivee.

The roads were quiet and many were almost traffic free, and the views from the tops were superb. One of those rides that reminds you that audax can be fun  :thumbsup:

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2014, 08:47:08 am »
A great ride. The peloton spat me out of the back within the first half mile but even so I kept up a fair pace for the first 50k allowing a puncture time buffer to be built.
I've never cycled that area before and loved it all, there are great views all round. Every village seemed to have a cafe so no problem refuelling there. I particularly liked Reeth which has a huge village green area and surrounded by interesting buildings. Stopped for a quick butchers at Middleham castle and it would benefit from a longer view.
Great route, weather and company, really enjoyed it, well done Andy.

What Jeff in Wales rather modestly didn't mention is that he did back to back 200s, Venetian Nights then this one. Serious kudos to him for this, my chapeau is well and truly doffed, top top top effort. I can't imagine how his legs are feeling today.

Andy Corless

« Reply #15 on: 07 October, 2014, 11:42:34 am »
Thanks to all the riders that entered and took part. Better start with the stats:

46-entered
30-started
30-finished

So there were no DNFs.

The weather conditions couldn't really have been much better. Not too warm or cold and with little or no wind. Both cafe controls provided warm food and drink and were very welcoming. Riders all seemed to give favourable comments about the route and controls. Riders travelled from as far as Scotland, London and Essex and I hope their journeys were worthwhile.

The date for next year's event has been set for Sunday 27 September 2015. Next year's edition now appears in the AUK calendar and you can enter at anytime.

Andy Corless
Organiser

Andy Corless

« Reply #16 on: 11 September, 2015, 09:29:52 am »
This year's event will be held on Sunday 27 September 2015, in just over 2-weeks time, starting and finishing in Clitheroe. The route is relatively hilly; passing through the Ribble Valley and Yorkshire Dales National Park. Two controls with food/meals available for purchase in cyclists friendly cafes both familiar with Audax UK having previously been used as controls on other events. Also a chance to ride some of the iconic climbs used on stage one of last year's Tour de France, including the ,"Cote de Buttertubs" and the "Cote de Grinton Moor".

Previous editions have received some plausible comments on this forum.

Free breakfast, typically cereal & toast, tea/coffee/juice available at the start if required.

You can get a flavour of the ride by reading Peter Bond's blog from the 2011 edition here:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=53743.0

There's about 15 entries so far.

Entry fee £5 (£5.50 via paypal) on AUK website.

Andy Corless
Organiser

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #17 on: 11 September, 2015, 05:31:43 pm »
Top ride this but sadly, I won't be able to make it this year  :'(

Andy Corless

« Reply #18 on: 06 September, 2019, 04:25:51 pm »
Dear all,

You might or might not be aware that part of the planned route for the Last Chance Dales Dance 200, due to be held on Sunday 29 September 2019 clashes with this year's World Road Race Championships being held in north Yorkshire on the same day. Many of the roads will be closed to the public so we're unable to offer the usual route for the this year's event. An alternative route is being devised over this weekend retaining the Clitheroe start/finish and should be ready by Monday.

The event website is currently being updated and those that have already entered have of course already been informed.

Andy Corless
Organiser

Andy Corless

« Reply #19 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:57:39 am »
This year's ride will now head north-west out of Clitheroe into the countryside before climbing over the Trough of Bowland to the first control at Carnforth. The route then follows mainly country lanes and B-roads to Brough, the most northerly part of the route. The route returns to Lancashire passing through the Mallerstang Common before climbing over the Old Coal Road into the Yorkshire Dales, passing the Ribblehead Viaduct and continuing south through Ribblesdale and the Ribble Valley.

All the other details remain unchanged. Still the same start/finish/date/time/entry fee etc.

Both the AUK calendar webpage and event website pages have both been updated with the amendments. See links below!

Entries still open. Fee: £6.60!

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-187/

http://burnleyccevents.com/last-chance-dales-dance-200/

Andy Corless
Organiser
Last Chance Dales Dance 20

« Reply #20 on: 11 September, 2019, 07:32:04 pm »
The Old Coal Road from Garsdale Head to Dentdale... Evil.  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #21 on: 11 September, 2019, 08:29:20 pm »
Please tell me you have no entries as everyone is where they should be, watching the world championships?

« Reply #22 on: 11 September, 2019, 09:42:59 pm »
Please tell me you have no entries as everyone is where they should be, watching the world championships?
It's in Saturday isn't it? ;D
Reine de la Fauche