Author Topic: People who park like fuds  (Read 286459 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: People who park like fuds
« Reply #1100 on: 10 June, 2019, 05:46:35 pm »
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/pictures-show-aftermath-car-fire-2957895
Posted here as the most appropriate place for 'Reasons why you shouldn't turn your garden into a parking space'.

"The cause of the fire was accidental ignition."

Really? Isn't that basically saying "it went on fire because it went on fire"?

Well I don't know how else they could explain it, it wasn't even charging its battery.  And everyone knows it's only electric cars that randomly catch fire.

fuzzy

« Reply #1101 on: 11 June, 2019, 08:53:07 am »
Reminds me of an incident I came accross whilst doing a ver' ver' early morning patrol in that there Bourne End.

My crewmate and I were engaged in a bit of JDA* at about 0200 when we detected the odour of burning plastic.
We followed our noses (which for those of you that know me will understand is quite easy for me. I wasn't known as Big Nose for nothing) and discovered a car in a parking bay which had a fire inside the cab. After a quick check of the cab we were happy it was unoccupied
It was small but beyond the capabilties of our fire extinguisher. Not only couldn't we put the fire out, we couldn't identify the owner of the burning car or the one next to it as they were both PKO+.
The fire was rapidly expanding and after about 5 minutes, had started to bubble the paintwork on the car next to it. We were knocking on doors and trying to wake people to try and get the soon to be badly damaged car moved. No one we raised knew who the cars belonged to.

Shit then got very weird.
The first car was by now very much alight. Suddenly the engine fired into life........

Both crewmate and I looked at each other and I could see he was thinking WTF?$ as was I. I had a good look around the area and found no trace of Steven King, a 58 Chevy or anything else scary for that matter. At this point the Cavalry** arrived and saved the day but not the second vehicle which was by now also well alight.

We suspect that the engine started because the fire had melted insulation on the ignition loom in the cab and allowed the most definitive case of 'Hot Wiring' that I have ever seen.

I dread to think how things would have progressed if the car had been left in gear.

*JDA- Just Driving Around
+ Previous Keeper Only
$ You really need to ask?
** Bucks Fire and Rescue

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1102 on: 11 June, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »
<pendant>
Mr King's haunted motor-car was a Plymouth.
</oendant>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #1103 on: 11 June, 2019, 12:20:57 pm »
Just checking you were paying attention.

Every fule kno's that it was a Plymouth Fury

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1104 on: 11 June, 2019, 01:21:31 pm »
I once followed my nose[1] to a perished fuel line under the bonnet of my car, which due to the gradient of the parking spot was steadily dripping motor spirit on some of the hot, loud oily stuff within, rather than the road beneath.  I proceeded to the nearest Halfrauds in order to replace it with a minimum of fucking around, for exactly this sort of reason.

[1] Which doesn't have a name, but has previous for early warning of developing combustion hazards.

« Reply #1105 on: 11 June, 2019, 06:56:21 pm »
We were on our way to Stranraer to catch a ferry and smelt petrol on the road. As we neared the ferry terminal ,the smell got stronger and as we queued up the driver of the Jeep in front of us started looking underneath the vehicle.
Needless to say he was asked to leave the queue and park as far away from the buildings and cars .

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #1106 on: 12 June, 2019, 10:09:40 am »
A former... client saw me in a pub years ago, and when I returned to my motorcycle my nose told me all sorts of things.

He (allegedly, natch) had unscrewed the plug caps and put the leads close enough to allow a spark gap between cap and lead. He had then pulled off the petrol pipe so that the tank drained over said potential spark gap. I am sure you can work out what his intention was.

Five gallons of petrol certainly cleaned off all the old chain-lube in the drive sprocket area!
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1107 on: 13 June, 2019, 12:00:11 am »
<pendant>
</oendant>
As featured in the Guardian weekend quiz the other week. What links a 1904 Darracq; 1963 Volkswagen Beetle and a 52 Plymouth Fury?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Steph

« Reply #1108 on: 13 June, 2019, 07:29:17 am »
<pendant>
</oendant>
As featured in the Guardian weekend quiz the other week. What links a 1904 Darracq; 1963 Volkswagen Beetle and a 52 Plymouth Fury?
(click to show/hide)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1109 on: 13 June, 2019, 08:27:09 am »
<pendant>
</oendant>
(click to show/hide)

Tick. VG.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1110 on: 13 June, 2019, 12:17:21 pm »
<pendant>
</oendant>

If the Graun really said "52" then the correct rnser is, of course, "Nothing".

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1111 on: 03 July, 2019, 09:58:26 am »

It's not so much the parking as the reporting that's surprising:
It could be an example of bad parking as a political protest.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/blatant-contempt-mercedes-driver-worst-3043542
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1112 on: 03 July, 2019, 01:29:32 pm »
What on earth is the justification for blanking out the reg plate ?
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1113 on: 03 July, 2019, 02:15:00 pm »
I think news sites do that reflexively nowadays, there doesn't need to be a reason. 

« Reply #1114 on: 03 July, 2019, 06:26:07 pm »
It's not so much the parking as the reporting that's surprising:
It could be an example of bad parking as a political protest.

Political protest against what? against new cycle paths? Probably the kind of person who shouts "Cycle path" against every cyclist on the road  :facepalm:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1115 on: 03 July, 2019, 11:02:54 pm »
Against this dreadful infringement of their right (enshrined in the Geneva Convention and the UN Charter) to be superior to the non-motorized population.

ian

« Reply #1116 on: 04 July, 2019, 01:22:27 pm »
I'm not sure it is a protest, some motorists genuinely do believe anywhere convenient* that fits their car is fair game as a parking space.

*within a maximum of five metres of their destination.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1117 on: 05 July, 2019, 12:45:16 pm »
Be a shame if someone were to walk over that shiny Mercedes while wearing crampons.  Bonus points for ice-axe damage to the windscreen.  "Sorry, ossifer, I thought it was a new kind of climbing wall.  I really must go to the optician."

Steph

« Reply #1118 on: 21 July, 2019, 08:02:17 pm »
Should've gone to Mercsavers?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1119 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:59:41 am »
The reg seems to be blanked out in this photo too – even though the accompanying story names the driver.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/26/man-73-and-his-two-dogs-survive-four-days-lost-in-oregons-remote-high-desert

(It's a story of ill-judged audaciousness and good fortune rather than parking)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1120 on: 26 July, 2019, 09:39:54 am »

I think that started when people got worried about being found out via Google Streetview.  Who then got so bloody overzealous that half the street-signs in their pics became illegible.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1121 on: 26 July, 2019, 12:01:45 pm »
The reg seems to be blanked out in this photo too – even though the accompanying story names the driver.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jul/26/man-73-and-his-two-dogs-survive-four-days-lost-in-oregons-remote-high-desert

(It's a story of ill-judged audaciousness and good fortune rather than parking)

The amazing thing is that it took about the same time to summon an ambulance to Nowhere, Oregon as it does to get one in Sible Hedingham.   :o

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1122 on: 26 July, 2019, 04:32:32 pm »
The roads which do exist out there have an amazing amount of no traffic on them :D

Steph

« Reply #1123 on: 26 July, 2019, 05:46:28 pm »

I think that started when people got worried about being found out via Google Streetview.  Who then got so bloody overzealous that half the street-signs in their pics became illegible.

You mean like the gentlemen pictured receiving a professional hand with his tensions in, IIRC, Manchester? Or the Prague gentleman seen in a solo performance in a window seat? Both have been blurred out. Ditto for my own appearance on Streetview, which doesn't involve an act of moral pollution.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1124 on: 27 July, 2019, 09:50:18 am »
I once discovered a postie having a quick whizz round the back of his van, somewhere south of Dunkirk.  AFAIK he's still there.

At least grundyish blankings-out aren't impediments to route-planning.  Seeing street-signs blurred out because Gargle's algorhythm method takes them for car-numbers is bloody annoying - reminiscent of removing road-signs and railway-station name-boards in anticipation of the invasion in 1940.

I've yet to see a car number-plate reading "Rue des Acacias".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight