Author Topic: what do you do ?  (Read 7771 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: what do you do ?
« Reply #50 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:39:51 pm »
Funny enough (longer) summer rides need more luggage than winter cos In the winter you keep all your clothes on all the time.

For the brevet cymru last year I had a carradice camper as I had ridden out to Wales with a tent, though I left that behind for the ride. So my bag was half empty which made finding stuff easy.

Meanwhile Chris was toting a packed to the gunnels barley with a density approaching a neutron star. It may have been small but it weighed a ton!

Size isn't everything; when it comes to luggage, a good big'un  beats a good little'un.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 24 May, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »
Yeah, as Manotea says, it's much easier finding stuff from, and reclosing half-empty bags than jam-packed ones.
I should not be surprised if people travelling with less luggage are more likely to leave stuff behind at controls.

Full bags can have nocturnal explosions near puddles...

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #52 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:09:48 pm »
Explosions is a strong word - did you mean emissions?  ;D
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 24 May, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »
Sorry, projectile content emergence due to packing under tension.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »
Also worth noting that those of us lying down on the job will need more luggage space on account of the general incompatibility[1] between recumbents and pockets.  This is offset by having a really good excuse not to use saddlebags.   ;)

[1] Items places in jersey pockets will either end up sweaty and blank, squished and leaky or leave a thing-shaped bruise on your back.  Items placed in trouser pockets will either end up on the road, or rub awkwardly.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #55 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:39:57 pm »
Also worth noting that those of us lying down on the job will need more luggage space on account of the general incompatibility[1] between recumbents and pockets.  This is offset by having a really good excuse not to use saddlebags.   ;)

[1] Items places in jersey pockets will either end up sweaty and blank, squished and leaky or leave a thing-shaped bruise on your back.  Items placed in trouser pockets will either end up on the road, or rub awkwardly.

I suspect those lying down on the job need more/ better waterproofing than upwrongs as a greater area is exposed to vertical rain.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 24 May, 2012, 06:56:24 pm »
I suspect those lying down on the job need more/ better waterproofing than upwrongs as a greater area is exposed to vertical rain.

Depends.

For a start, unless you're following someone with a naff mudguard your feet tend to stay drier, as they're clear of the front wheel and gravity isn't delivering water from the rest of your legs, so you're generally winning there.  Of course, if you've got a front fairing, your feet and legs should stay totally dry (though your face will get a nice soaking with every pothole).

Waterproof jackets are annoying on recumbents, as they don't ventilate properly, and as well as the traditional puddle (or collection of hail stones as I had last month) on your tummy, you can end up with interesting failure modes like puddles of sweat forming at your elbows.  They'll also thwart whatever ventilation your seat has.

But recumbents put you in a more aerodynamic position, and even the best ventilated seats act as a layer of insulation, so you tend to dissipate less heat than on an upright.  My preferred strategy is to keep clothing to a minimum, get soaked, and only add waterproofs when I actually get cold (which I will as soon as I stop).  Putting on waterproofs is only going to soak me anyway.  So you're right in that I'll need to carry layers that I might be wearing in the same conditions on an upright.

What's probably needed is a body equivalent of rainlegs...

(And of course the 'vertical rain' thing is a fallacy.  It's always a headwind. :) )

« Reply #57 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
I think Kim's approach of packing everything in the bag that you may take off on the ride plus all the other bits is a good idea

« Reply #58 on: 25 May, 2012, 10:21:30 am »
I bought a Carradice Nelson saddlebag for longer rides (for me this means over 70k!). I found the barley was struggling to hold spare layers and with the recent variable weather, I'm not willing to go out without an extra layer and some spare socks. I also carry a shewee, spare lights and quite a few energy gels and snacks as I suffer if my blood suger drops. And often some chocolate to bung at the lad if the same happens to him.

I have a rack so the lack of seatpost doesn't bother the saddle bag too much.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #59 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:38:37 am »
 well so far I have managed with my Barley, but I've only done 3 official rides and they've all been in the dry, after reading the posts here and with my limited experience I'm already thinking that I possibly don't need to go any bigger, but that Super C does look very practical and if ever I wanted to do some weekend touring that would be ideal ::-)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #60 on: 25 May, 2012, 11:45:40 am »
You could possibly get a bar bag, which would allow you to expand your capacity if you so wish but also to leave one bag at home if you find you don't need it.

« Reply #61 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »
I had thought about a bar bag, but what about the cables, lights, map holder where would I put all those,
I could always go for a n+1 just for rides over 300Km  :demon:

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #62 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
I had thought about a bar bag, but what about the cables, lights, map holder where would I put all those,
I could always go for a n+1 just for rides over 300Km  :demon:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67610004@N03/sets/72157627688370414/

hth

« Reply #63 on: 25 May, 2012, 12:54:45 pm »
aahhh I see very clever,I already have one of those brackets and I suppose if I got the right barbag it would have somewhere to put the route sheet or map, I much prefer the idea of a new bike though :)

I'm off to do a bit of fettling,

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #64 on: 25 May, 2012, 01:00:27 pm »
I much prefer the idea of a new bike though :)

quite right too.
Regard it an essential accessory for the Topeak bar extender that you are buying.

« Reply #65 on: 25 May, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »
 ;D ;D I don't think I would get away with it, but worth a try, I've just realised I have a stem riser fitted, so the bracket won't fit there, however it's not beyond me to make something to do the job, I'll go for a rummage in the workshop see whats about  :thumbsup:

« Reply #66 on: 25 May, 2012, 04:53:38 pm »
I quite like my topeak rx bag. The bar it fits onto clamps to the seat post.the bag is quick release so you can easilly take it into a cafe or whatever if you want to.  It has the central bag big enough for a days ride space for usual junk plus a waterproof jacket. It also has. Foldaway side panniers you can drop down if you want them. Haven't used the panniers yet as I only do 200 and 100s.

« Reply #67 on: 25 May, 2012, 05:57:09 pm »
I'm another one who restricts myself to a Barley, even on PBP. I have toe straps through the loops on top so I can store my jacket in a 1l Alpkit dry sac on top if I want to. A small tribag on the top tube holds battery pack and acts as a nose bag to hold my Harribo. Most of the stuff I ride around with I pretty much never use, but some of it I can't leave behind in case of mechanical epic fail.

LEE

« Reply #68 on: 25 May, 2012, 07:36:17 pm »
I envy people who can get away with a Barley on long rides, I always end up carrying too much, but a Barley is fine for 400s I think.

I think a lot depends on the weather though, if you can be assured of warm and dry nights then a Barley would be more than adequate.  I took a Super C on BCM600 and PBP full of "just in case" clothes.  On BCM600 I've been glad of extra clothes on board and the ability to carry quite a lot of food.

You just need to remember not to fill to capacity any large saddlebag you may get.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #69 on: 30 May, 2012, 10:52:19 pm »
It varies, but the combination I've got used to is a Carradice bag plus a bum bag that contains spare tubes, a pump, a few bonk rations, brevet card, wallet, phone, and bear.  That means that my valuables travel with me and I usually manage not to leave anything lying on a cafe table which is so easy to do.

In winter/spring when I need heavier clothing for the dark sections I prefer a single pannier which sits on the left hand side to counter my natural lean to the right when I get tired. 

A bar bag is really handy when I'm riding with my son as its a good place to keep motivational goodies such as biscuits and flapjacks.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #70 on: 30 May, 2012, 11:09:27 pm »
It varies, but the combination I've got used to is a Carradice bag plus a bum bag that contains spare tubes, a pump, a few bonk rations, brevet card, wallet, phone, and bear.  That means that my valuables travel with me and I usually manage not to leave anything lying on a cafe table which is so easy to do.

In winter/spring when I need heavier clothing for the dark sections I prefer a single pannier which sits on the left hand side to counter my natural lean to the right when I get tired. 

A bar bag is really handy when I'm riding with my son as its a good place to keep motivational goodies such as biscuits and flapjacks.

It's heart warming to see you always take your bear along  :D

« Reply #71 on: 31 May, 2012, 12:19:26 am »
I recently (a couple of years or so ago) removed racks from most of my bikes and went back to sideways luggage with a Carradice small saddlebag (Barley?). It has worked fine for self-sufficient rides of up to 1200km. It probably has more capacity than my previous rack-pack. A Bagman Quick Release Adapter has stopped the swing.