General Category > On The Road

Littering driver

(1/5) > >>

quixoticgeek:

Yesterday I was walking home from having dropped off a hire car. The door on a parked car just in front of me opened, a cigarette and an empty drinks bottle were dropped out and the door closed. I pick up the plastic bottle and bang on the window holding it up. The occupant looks at me confused. So I open the door, throw the bottle in, close the door, and walk off.

The occupant, and her 3 friends (note to self next time, count number of occupants in car), gets out and starts shouting at me the Dutch for "what the fuck!?". I just walk off, eventually she tries to get infront of me, I just say "please don't drop litter". At this she then gives me a shove.

A few minutes before these events, about 50m away, a Porsche Ceyenne has managed to hit a pedestrian. This is maybe 200m away from a hospital. The pedestrian has a broken leg, and by the time of my actions above, is already in A&E. But there remains 3 police cars, and a police forensics unit in attendance, along with their occupants.

One of these police officers notices the shouting from across the street. I've noticed the police, and am walking in their direction. The women from the car are still shouting at me. I cross the road to the police officer, explain what's going on. His response is simply "Would you like me to arrest her?" "No, but if you could go tell her to not litter in future please, that would be great". He crossed the road, had a chat to them, Then comes back to explain he has done so and check I'm ok. He makes no comment on my action. I give it a few minutes for the car occupants to be a good few hundred metres up the road before continuing my walk home.

Has anyone else ever done similar with littering car drivers? How did the occupants react?

J

Peat:
A couple of times. Once on foot, the girl I accosted looked genuinely confused as to why someone would be upset that she had thrown an empty plastic bottle to the ground (in sight of several bins, i'll add).

Other times whilst on my bike, observing litter being thrown from cars in traffic. I prefer this method as it gives an option of a fast cowardly retreat.

aidan.f:
Yes, once after selecting my opportunity. They had been chucking stuff out of the car I was in front and saw what was happening in my mirrors. Did a 360 on a roundabout and followed the car. Approached occupants on foot was polite but firm. By the time I had finished the girl in the back was nearly in tears.

mrcharly-YHT:
A pedestrian next to me threw a cigarette butt on the pavement. Didn't even stub it out.
I said "Oi", kicked them on the leg and told them there is a £100 fine for dropping cig butts in the street.

It was my son.

:facepalm:

PaulF:
Hope you took the £100 from his pocket money :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version