Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 515115 times)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Can I buy peppermint oil as good as Benedicks use for their Bittermints?

So I can make my own.  £5 a box, or even £3 on special offer, is a bit expensive for daily consumption.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Yes.
Peppermint oil is peppermint oil is peppermint oil
Making the 'cream' thick without being sweet, and getting the right grade of bitter chocolate is more of a challenge, I think.

I spent more than £25 on cake making supplies this week. The internet is dangerous.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Peppermint oil growers don't agree it's all the same - though they would say that wouldn't they.  :)    One was featured recently on BBC1's One Show, I think it was.

I could spend £25 a week on Benedicks!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I just found a packet of After Eights - the little ones wrapped up like Rolos, not the proper ones - at the back of the cupboard. I have eaten them all.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

The peppermint cream in the last After Eight I had about a year ago was definately not a patch on the stuff from the time when we had proper summers and you could hear the words in pop songs. It had that bitter taste of artificial sweetener. Or they're using cheap peppermint oil. Or something.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
I've just made a pot of lentil & lemon soup and one of black-eyed bean & oregano soup. That's my lunches sorted for the next couple of weeks.  :D
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Cudzoziemiec

Sounds tasty and satisfying. Do you use fresh oregano? I never find dried has any taste in soup, but very rarely have fresh around.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

No, it's impossible to get fresh here. So I put in three times as much dried.

Cudzoziemiec

Ah. Thinking about it, coriander might be good in that instead.

No, it's impossible to get fresh here. So I put in three times as much dried.

Get hold of a little pot from the garden centre for pennies, and let it grow on the window sill? I've just repotted my five year old plant and given it its annual haircut.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Nutella cheesecake. Nom. That is all.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I loathe both Nutella and cheesecake. The only way Nutella cheesecake could be any worse is if it had a liver and white chocolate garnish.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
No liver.

White chocolate may have featured, so I think it safe to say this was definitely not Kirst-friendly cake.  But trust me, for those that do like nutella and cheesecake and a smidgeon of white chocolate, it's good.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I loathe both Nutella and cheesecake. The only way Nutella cheesecake could be any worse is if it had a liver and white chocolate garnish.

Don't forget the peanut butter...

At work the other day, we found a stash of 1970's American body building magazines, and in one of them was an advert for a dietary supplement - Dessicated Liver.  I did wonder if anyone ever mistakenly sprinkled it on a jam sponge when reaching without looking for the coconut....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

It's not the cold, it's not the wind, it's not the heavier bike, it's the Swiss diet, isn't it. That's CHeese, CHocolate and CHips.

We went to IKEA earlier in the week (for a chest of drawers), and in the food bit after the tills we picked up a little sachet of snack sausages - elk and pork.  MFWHTBAB was posting about them over on CC, and mistyped and nearly referred to them as elf and pork...

We went back to IKEA again today (for more chests of drawers, having assembled one, we reckon they are good value), and bought some more sausages...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Eccentrica Gallumbits

I have made 3 dark chocolate lemon drizzle cakes, one lasagne and a big pot of dhal. The lasagne is hokkaido squash and goat cheese, and I have replaced the middle layer of lasagne sheets with blanched and separated leeks, for extra veggie goodness and fewer calories.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Hokkaido squash? sounds v expensive...
ETA mmmmm goat.....
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Came in the veg box.

I have just found 4 500g bags of red lentils in the cupboard.
Daal anyone?
In all seriousness, I'd quite like some suggestions...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Blended with a chicken stock cube and (even frozen) veg makes a nice soup.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Well I'm pretty sure that Tesco sweet and sour chicken ready meal contained very little that wasn't either sugar or salt...but it was scrummy and hot  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Lentiil & lemon soup.

Cudzoziemiec

No need to use it all at once. Keep it somewhere dry and it'll last for ages.