Author Topic: OMG Glasgow School of Art  (Read 2045 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
OMG Glasgow School of Art
« on: 23 May, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »
Is on fire. Just seen this news, couldn't find another thread.

Hoping for the best.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: OMG Glasgow School of Art
« Reply #1 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:35:40 pm »
What a disaster!

Let's hope as much as possible can be saved.

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2014, 04:57:35 pm »
Saw the smoke from the M8 as we headed into the city centre this afternoon. Doesn't sound good and all the kids had their final submissions submitted yesterday/today.

Once all the cr@p about the English local elections gets off BBC news 24 we might actually get some interesting news...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:35:38 pm »
Once all the cr@p about the English local elections gets off BBC news Farage 24 we might actually get some interesting news...

Seems unlikely...

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2014, 05:48:58 pm »
I saw this on the BBC website earlier, it is so sad. GSoA is the most beautiful building in Glasgow and all the student work that hasn't been marked yet. You can't just ask them to resubmit that kind of work.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2014, 06:37:57 pm »
It sounds like they're getting on top of it and everyone got out, but it looks like both building and contents will be in a bad way from the pictures.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2014, 07:23:52 pm »
Shit. That's awful.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2014, 08:03:04 pm »
If it is today then final works will probably already have been graded and degrees awarded (our fine artists did so over a week ago.)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2014, 08:09:48 pm »
Edit: No, it was hand in today so all that work is lost pre-grading of final submissions. :(
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2014, 08:40:35 pm »
Harsh and unsympathetic, but I'm more  moved by the loss of (parts of) the most important building in Scotland for 175 years....

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2014, 09:30:16 pm »
I am dreadfully saddened by the loss of any part of that beautiful building and I desperately hope it isn't so badly damaged that it can't be restored.

On the other hand, having seen first hand what goes in to an 'art' final hand in and knowing the amount of work that can be lost totally by one tragic event, my heart goes out to any students affected. Hopefully they'll have had a staggered hand in and some years' work will have been submitted in previous days/weeks and already have been looked at. They were also preparing for the degree show; if that is affected students entire portfolios could have gone.
In many cases this isn't something that is also saved on a cloud somewhere, this is everything, in effect it is their CV and it is irreplaceable. I cannot imagine how awful that must be for those affected.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2014, 10:01:29 pm »
Arsebollocks. Heard about it starting on the news at work; phoned by a friend with the 'result' when I got home.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2014, 10:24:08 pm »
Firefighters battling the blaze at Glasgow School of Art's Mackintosh building say they have prevented the destruction of both the structure and the majority of its contents.

I hope that's correct.

simonp

« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2014, 11:19:38 pm »
Terrible news - I’m relieved no-one seems to be hurt, but this building is iconic. I’ve been there a few times, my student digs weren’t far away, and once went to a conference there. I do hope that the amount of restoration required is minimal. My dad was always a big fan of CRM. He’d have been gutted to see this had he still been alive.

I am reminded of a fire that started in my secondary school in the physics class. Some first years had done some paper murals which were pinned to the wall. Some tool closed the air hole on his bunsen burner and had it right at the back of the bench and set the mural on fire. Within moments a sheet of flame went up the wall and it was only the quick action of our teacher with a CO2 fire extinguisher that prevented a much worse blaze. The building was of similar age to the school of art and had a lot of wood panelling.

I imagine the first years were not happy about their work being destroyed, but it will be nothing compared to this.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #14 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:08:01 pm »
The library has gone  :'(

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2018, 07:07:00 am »
And a more serious fire now...

« Reply #16 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:57:37 am »
Looks really bad this time. Just as the restoration from the last fire was nearing completion, too. :(

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:02:01 am »
Bugger.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:07:39 am »
Yeh, this is really tragic in many ways.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:45:21 am »
It's all a bit much.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #20 on: 28 June, 2018, 12:04:25 pm »
Now they have to dismantle bits urgently.