Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 641404 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #1275 on: 22 April, 2012, 04:55:49 pm »
Saw a couple on a tandem trike today, but I can't tell you anything about it as we only passed each other in opposite directions.

A couple of days ago I saw an orange Bike Friday tandem, stokerless, in the morning rush hour about to go down Park Street.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1276 on: 22 April, 2012, 04:59:42 pm »
Friday: On that evening's recce one of our fellow riders was on a Pat Rohan.

Today: A tandem locked to a bike rack on Jamaica Road.  No idea what sort of tandem, but that's not the type of bike one usually sees locked up to a city back rack, especially not at 07:30 on a Sunday.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1277 on: 22 April, 2012, 05:16:33 pm »
We saw a couple on a Ken Bird tandem on the tracks near home.  The gentleman piloting seemed to be wearing a Tandem Club jacket.  They were both happy.

We spotted a Gillott locked to a rack in London when we rode up to Pimlico Friday.
Getting there...

« Reply #1278 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:25:30 am »
I was lined up alongside an On One "Dirty Disco" at a set of lights this morning. It looked absolutely fantastic. It had been destickered, except for the rims. It's rare for me to spend much more than a few seconds eying up anopther bike, but this was really quite nice.
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOODDFBFOR/on_one_dirty_disco_sram_force_flat_bar

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1279 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:31:49 am »
<snip>....Although I don't think there has ever been a bike with so few spokes in the Den before!

Ahem, I believe my Ridley, with it's shiny flange of truth and minimal spoke count has visited the Den before
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1280 on: 01 May, 2012, 10:43:51 am »
Ah, but I don't think Simon bothers with spokes at all.  Much more lightweight to use levitation.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1281 on: 02 May, 2012, 09:37:09 am »
This morning, I saw two particularly interesting bikes.  One was turning onto Railton Road at Herne Hill.  A nicely set up tourer in the same shade of green as Andrij's.  So, as I passed, I looked to see if it was in fact a Hewitt.  It was badged as a Kontour, which is not a brand I know.

Near Walworth Road, and up to NKR, I saw an orange cargo bike with two child seats (rear only occupied at that point) on the back.  I thought it might be a Yuba Mundo, but it was a bit clunky-looking.  Perhaps it was an early version.
Getting there...

« Reply #1282 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:13:52 pm »
Seen only in a photo, posted elsawhere by someone reminiscing about the 70s. He called it a 'Spring bike', said it was made by Raleigh, and was lethal (look at the rear wheel and how the rear forks attach). I can't find out anything more about it.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1283 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »
ISTR Wobbly John knew something about this last time it was mentioned.
Getting there...

« Reply #1284 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:47:33 pm »
ISTR Wobbly John knew something about this last time it was mentioned

as soon as I saw it I thought it was something he or one of his students had made as an experiment  :)

« Reply #1285 on: 03 May, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »
It's a Swing-Bike. They were commercially produced in the 70's and are similar to the Wobblebikes that I build. They are more difficult to learn than the Wobblebike, but I have seen some impressive riders on YouTube.

The spring can be removed once you have got the hang of riding it. They are very collectable.

I have had a go at building one but haven't got the geometry sorted yet.

The company (or a resurection of the company) did start producing a new version about 3 years ago which was more like the wobblebike that I build.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1286 on: 03 May, 2012, 10:03:16 pm »
Ah! Thanks.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #1287 on: 04 May, 2012, 12:29:14 am »
Last week (but the rider looked regular), outside the Crown at Pantygelli - a Hetchins, mainly black, with a Sturmey-Archer 4-speed hub (the shifter is about the only useful identifying feature to have come out on the photo I grabbed)

Finally, a picture:

Hetchins by rjevans6, on Flickr

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1288 on: 04 May, 2012, 08:10:58 am »
Chainstays a bit slack.
Getting there...

« Reply #1289 on: 04 May, 2012, 08:17:19 am »
Left out in the sun too long I expect.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1290 on: 04 May, 2012, 09:50:05 am »
Must have been last year!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1291 on: 04 May, 2012, 06:45:00 pm »
A left hand drive BMX.

A first I thought it was fixed but when he freewheeled I realised that it had a reverse freewheel. IIRC Wolly did that to his fixie "just because he could"

tiermat

« Reply #1292 on: 07 May, 2012, 06:31:08 pm »
Yesterday, whilst at the pub we saw a Pace RC-100 complete with Mahura brakes and age appropraite rigid forks, in yellow.  My only disappointment with it was that it was the ano-grey colour and not the red one.

Next to it was an old sit-up and beg bike (can't remember the make) that was notable for it missing a pedal.

Torlanda did also mention another MTB oldy hiding out back of these ones, but I missed what it was :(

Oh and there was a very gorgeous purple Carlton Continental, a Circe Helios and an Elswick Hopper (chapeau to Clarion for riding it to the pub!) amongst our group.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1293 on: 07 May, 2012, 06:44:12 pm »
I was rather put out that I was not the only person riding a rod-braked bike to the Buck in Maunby. ;D

I didn't recognise the headbadge on the other bike, but it was also notable for its double top tube.

I rode the Elswick through central London in the rain, and home.  I was an interesting experience. :o
Getting there...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1294 on: 07 May, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
I was rather put out that I was not the only person riding a rod-braked bike to the Buck in Maunby. ;D

I didn't recognise the headbadge on the other bike, but it was also notable for its double top tube.

I rode the Elswick through central London in the rain, and home.  I was an interesting experience. :o
That's pretty common on Indian bikes - perhaps you saw an Atlas, Safari or Hercules!

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1295 on: 08 May, 2012, 01:20:01 am »
A custom trandem at the Tweed Run:

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #1296 on: 08 May, 2012, 08:03:34 pm »
One of the regular Tweed Run marshals is Briggy, who restores and sells vintage bikes from a location near Waterloo station.  This is his bike (and yes, that is his helmet):

(Images are from Facebook.  Should be visible - shared publicly, but tell me if there's a problem viewing them)
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1297 on: 08 May, 2012, 09:16:47 pm »
The helmet looks cool but is probably hot to wear, the saddle is... hot but must be cool to ride!

« Reply #1298 on: 09 May, 2012, 12:56:19 pm »
Yesterday, whilst at the pub we saw a Pace RC-100 complete with Mahura brakes and age appropraite rigid forks, in yellow.  My only disappointment with it was that it was the ano-grey colour and not the red one.

The RC100 was only available in grey. Anodising was introduced with the RC200

/nerd mode off

I have a very complete RC100s sitting in the loft which I must clean up and seel to someone who could use it at some point.

tiermat

« Reply #1299 on: 09 May, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »

The RC100 was only available in grey. Anodising was introduced with the RC200

/nerd mode off

I have a very complete RC100s sitting in the loft which I must clean up and seel to someone who could use it at some point.

Thankyou for that, I did wonder if I was mis-remembering it.  Clarion was right, he asked if the forks were original, and it appears they are (bright yellow RC-30 or 38, there was no stickers on them :) )

That bike in your loft will be what they term a unicorn, over on Retrobike, due to their rarity.  By the looks they are a pig to restore too, especially the BB/crankset.