Author Topic: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen  (Read 641819 times)

Clandy

Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Reply #350 on: 17 May, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »
I see this vintage (note the rod operated brakes) Raleigh with some interesting modifications quite regularly:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #351 on: 18 May, 2010, 12:37:36 pm »
Yesterday, I saw a chap on a hybrid near Kennington.  He had short handlebars, with, it seemed, one brake attached.  But he also had half a riser bar attached to them, pointing forwards and up.  It had a grip and one brake lever.  Some kind of bodged homebrew tri-bar? ???
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #352 on: 18 May, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but we spotted another interesting handlebar arrangement on the cyclepaths near Lufbra. 

He had drop bars with tri extensions on.  But, underneath the extensions, there seemed to be a short straight bar with ergonomic grips each end.  Couldn't see how it was attached.
Getting there...

« Reply #353 on: 18 May, 2010, 12:55:39 pm »
How long was the bar under the tribars? Could it have been one of these accessory bars that replaces a headset spacer?

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #354 on: 18 May, 2010, 01:20:15 pm »
Gocycle - I saw one ride through Ely last week - looked nippy but noisy.
A colleague reports that they are based in Shearline Engineering in Ely - Shearline were making so many components for them that they decided to move in. If Shearline's usual quality is applied, they will be made out of good bits.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #355 on: 18 May, 2010, 08:40:30 pm »
How long was the bar under the tribars? Could it have been one of these accessory bars that replaces a headset spacer?

Probably was.  Good call.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #356 on: 19 May, 2010, 11:26:46 am »
Gocycle - I saw one ride through Ely last week - looked nippy but noisy.
A colleague reports that they are based in Shearline Engineering in Ely - Shearline were making so many components for them that they decided to move in. If Shearline's usual quality is applied, they will be made out of good bits.

Hmm.... possible Reggie Ride.  Cambridge to Ely, visit to the GoCycle workshop and back to Cambridge.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #357 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »
Saw an empty trailerbike this morning.  After the school run, no doubt. :)
Getting there...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #358 on: 21 May, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »
Saw a fixed (or could be singlespeed - it was stationary when I saw it) bike stopped at a red light on High Holborn earlier.  It looked like it was made entirely out of rust.  (I think this was a deliberate effect). 
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #359 on: 22 May, 2010, 12:53:14 am »
Eldest cub went for tea at a friend's house tonight.  I went to collect him a bit after 8 on my way home from work (after a somewhat unnecessarily circuitous route :) ) and, after having stopped for a bit of a gossip, was just in the process of manoeuvring my bike (with fairly full panniers) backwards out of the narrow front path at his friend's house.

"Mum, look!"
"Not right now, I'm trying to do this..."
"No but Mum, look!"
"In a min..."
"But Mum, it's a UNICYCLE!"

It was indeed the largest unicycle I have ever seen, whizzing past the parked cars on the road and going at some considerable speed.

My boy knows what he's can get away interrupting his mother for. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #360 on: 22 May, 2010, 11:02:30 am »
I saw a Windcheetah near Elephant & Castle (quite close to the University)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #361 on: 22 May, 2010, 10:02:01 pm »
Not an unusual bike, as such, but TGL spotted a couple of blokes cycling past Mellows Park carrying kitchen sinks.  No, I don't mean that they had a lot of luggage.  They really did have large stainless steel sink units under their arms.
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #362 on: 22 May, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
On the CTC run today, a Thorn something equipped with a Rohloff, a SON, big tyres, a SpaceGrip to fit even more crap on the handlebars (GPS, two computers, lights, mapholder) and panniers.  Its gravitational field was pulling small animals out of the hedges as we passed.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #363 on: 02 June, 2010, 09:15:28 am »
Page 3?  Don't we see many interesting or unusual bikes, then? :(

Yesterday, I saw a nice maroon Moulton.  Not sure what it was -  a spaceframe of some kind.

Today, I spotted a fastish chap (well, as fast as me ;D ) on a beige Bianchi flat-barred singlespeed, wearing a retro h*lm*t like the one Wobblyjohn's got.

I also saw a very tasty Ellis Briggs fixed.  The frame was red, with chromed forks and rear triangle.  Lovely.
Getting there...

« Reply #364 on: 02 June, 2010, 12:36:58 pm »

Today, I spotted a fastish chap (well, as fast as me ;D ) on a beige Bianchi flat-barred singlespeed, wearing a retro h*lm*t like the two Wobblyjohn's got.

Like this one?

Must have been a bit warm if he was riding fastish.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #365 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:17:54 pm »
Just exactly like that.  'Cept it was brown.  Made him look like a half-sucked malteser.

And apologies for underestimating your helmet.
Getting there...

« Reply #366 on: 02 June, 2010, 01:47:51 pm »
This is a rather nice bike.

Tout Terrain frame with integrated rack (not sure how well the paint will stand up to panniers though).
Rohloff gears, Magura hydraulic brakes, SON front hub, B17 saddle.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #367 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:05:35 pm »
Lunchtime at the Island cafe.  Usual couriers on fixed with dinky bars.  But there was a smart Holdsworth in 531c double locked at the rear (front wheel presumably taken away).  It had a Shimano 600 groupset (the three rectangles edition), with Campag band-on levers.  Oh - and there was no mech hanger, so the derailleur was in the dropout, which I didn't think was still current with that version of 600, but I must be wrong.
Getting there...

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #368 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:13:31 pm »
Chain's a bit slack

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #369 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:06:36 pm »
This is a rather nice bike.

Agree with you, though it is rather sad to see such a good bicycle only locked with a cable lock, it will go walkies very soon.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #370 on: 02 June, 2010, 04:07:59 pm »
Agree with you, though it is rather sad to see such a good bicycle only locked with a cable lock, it will go walkies very soon.

I agree, which is why I didn't say where it is!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #371 on: 02 June, 2010, 08:57:13 pm »
Saw another Moulton.  This time in Clapham.

And a Rockhopper.  Not so interesting in itself, but the woman riding it kept pace with me from Oval up to Clapham Common, and even pulled away before turning off.  And I wasn't slow tonight.  Respect. 
Getting there...

« Reply #372 on: 03 June, 2010, 07:29:54 am »
I saw a bright red Dursley Pederson last night, unusual enough, but usually when I see them (and there are a few around) they're being ridden by people dressed in tweed at a relaxed pace. This one was being caned by a guy wearing an AG2R lycra top, lycra shorts and proper cycling shoes, still sitting up and "begging" as per the riding position. It looked very odd.

www.pedersen-bike.dk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #373 on: 03 June, 2010, 08:38:30 pm »
A Colnago Master Olympic whilst sat enjoying a pint of Badger @ The Black Horse at Iver Heath
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #374 on: 03 June, 2010, 08:48:05 pm »
Ok of the target I know but today I saw a German motorcycle with side car from WWII with one diver and the side car loaded up with camping gear :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit