Author Topic: Bad Investment?  (Read 3316 times)

Bad Investment?
« on: 22 April, 2011, 10:34:42 pm »
As some of you may know, I'm on the lookout for a ladies run around, so I head off to eBay!

Do a bit of searching. Reduce the number, and find a small selection of town bikes! Now I find a bike on there with 9 days to go and is marked up at 99p, no reserve. It's a Raleigh.

99p seems like a bargain and I could possibly stretch to a tenner if need be.

Now, how do you know when you're getting a good thing or if you just going to get a money sink?
Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Bad Investment?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »
See it. 

I bought a van on ebay.  Never again.  We still haven't bonded many hundreds of pounds later...

Bid on local bikes (you can sort the items by distance) and go see them first.   

Oh, and a 99p 9 day out price means nothing; that's just the starting price.  Most of the action in an ebay auction takes place in the last six hours or so.   :)

It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »
I am thinking of asking the seller if I can pay the bike a visit before I bid on it!
Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

« Reply #3 on: 01 June, 2011, 08:34:12 pm »
Tr look on this forum for bikes for sale, CTC site or Cycling plus. Don't go random as there are lots of sharks out there and this lot actually know what they are talking about (most of the time)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2013, 11:31:20 am »
I am thinking of asking the seller if I can pay the bike a visit before I bid on it!
well worth it, see if you can take it for a ride round the block or whatever, and check the frame for crash damage. if you like it you might be able to make the seller an offer and take it off their hands at the time.
expect to have to replace things like chain, rear block, cables and tyres though, so factor this into your budget.
are we nearly there yet?