Author Topic: Brevet Cymru 2018  (Read 19563 times)

Re: Brevet Cymru 2018
« Reply #125 on: 07 May, 2018, 12:17:28 pm »
200k to the start, slept on a bench for 4 hours or so before the start at the nearby park (had a Dominoes pizza before, which was nice).

The ride was beautiful, got a puncture 70k going downhill, hit a pothole! the first 200k were nice and went by quick, the next 100k weren't too bad. I have mounted my supernova upside down on my tri bars, which wasn't the brightest idea, as the beam wasn't as good. The next 100k were interesting, I was riding with another guy and we could not find the Llandovery control at all! (not sure if my ride will get validated because of non stamp for this control).

Rode in at 1:15AM maybe, camped by the door until a kind rider offered myself and another person a seat in his camper van! Thank you so much for this and the gin and tonic! was nice to be there till the organiser arrived at the hall and I grabbed a quick nap. Before setting off at 6:30AM for the ride home!

836km in total for me, got home Sunday evening! Thanks everyone, definitely one of my favourite audax rides!

« Reply #126 on: 07 May, 2018, 03:45:21 pm »
..... and we could not find the Llandovery control at all!

Eh? It was the West End Cafe again. Or do you mean the Llangattock one? That was a little tucked away, I managed to overshoot the turnoff. I felt slightly less stupid when I climbed back up to the turn as I met a group in the process of overshooting as well!!

John

« Reply #127 on: 07 May, 2018, 06:03:51 pm »
What a bloody lovely day out - thank you Mark and team. 
Almost full value for me, but I like to get my money's worth  :)
I relised at at the lights that I had missed the right fork for the final control but easily rectified.  I was a bit vague when a mate asked me if I was going ok as he exited the the control  but easily rectifed with some nosh and regrouping!
Very pleased to get to the arrivee with my club mate having ridden several of the KM with him

« Reply #128 on: 07 May, 2018, 06:55:08 pm »
..... and we could not find the Llandovery control at all!

Eh? It was the West End Cafe again. Or do you mean the Llangattock one? That was a little tucked away, I managed to overshoot the turnoff. I felt slightly less stupid when I climbed back up to the turn as I met a group in the process of overshooting as well!!

John

my bad, it was the final control at Llangattock!I had food at weest end the second time:) first time I just got the stamp and pushed on, as the queues were big due to other biker gang being there as well!

« Reply #129 on: 07 May, 2018, 11:09:49 pm »
So yes, everything you all all told me turned out to be right.  I should have tried a 1200 first maybe?  ;D

As it was my first one, I inevitably took a bit too much kit.  Ultimately that meant I had to wear my Perfetto jersey zipped down to my navel for much of the ride, as I had nowhere to stash it, as that space was taken by a jacket (summer jersey in a back pocket!).  Didn't need a second power bank either, or the sports nutrition I carted around for the night section.  My gooch fared surprisingly well, as did my hands and back/shoulders (this was my biggest concern rather than fitness).

I actually started a bit faster than I would have liked, as my HR was high Z3 for much of the first hour; but when I looked back there wasn't a soul in sight along the Wye Valley, so I kept with the group. Once past Monmouth there came the predictable split; I was at the back and had a quick opportunity to choose which group to go with.  I went left (Pandy); the group was a bit larger, I had that in my GPS and the other group looked to be pushing a bit too much for my liking.  It tuned out to be a very fortuitous decision.  Probably around Michaelchurch, as our group strung-out on the back lanes, I struck-up a conversation with a guy I'd spotted earlier.  He seemed to have all the gear, and a nice bright frame (and what the hell was he carrying in that huge frame bag?!).  I enquired about the creaking coming from his BB/cranks and that was it... I was stuck with the guy for the next 340km  :thumbsup: 8)

In the company of Sensei Hippy, I really did have a great time.  Modesty prevented him telling me too much about his achievements, unless directly questioned and I must admit to raising an internal eyebrow when he was talking about a LEJOG record attempt (why was he was riding with me?!).  Anyway, I used Google and you know the rest.  After a pasty at Llandovery, it was off to Tregaron, where I moved into virgin territory after 180km.  In Tregaron I met Audax Vlogger sensation Adam, and I think it was seeing Ajax Bay (Devon Jersey?) tucking into some milk there that prompted me to do the same, chasing down a couple of Eccles Cakes of all things (seen munching away in Adam's video).  Onto New Quay, and was still good.  I'd heard about the climb out of New Quay and was wary of eating anything. As it was the climb wasn't too bad, and I paid for that lack of solid food, getting a rough patch around 240km.  I rectified this with the best part of one of those 500kcal flapjacks you get at garages, that I had on me.  Much earlier, before Llandovery, I'd eaten the pork pie I'd also brought along; I would not recommend that as an on-the-go food, the peppery meat hit the back of my throat, causing me to eject bits of it from my nose.  By the time we got back to Llandovery at 295km, I was really ready for some proper food, and hoovered down cheese on toast with beans, and a cuppa; this did me the world of good!  Arm warmers on and headlight in place, we set off for the last control and I was feeling way better.

The last 100km was a world away from how I thought it would be, and the rough patch after New Quay was a distant memory.  Darkness fell and it made a nice change to be riding in the dark, as well as being cooler which suited me (still just the Perfetto jersey, but zip up most of the time).  We hit the last control around 10.30 pm I think. Sounds like we also initially missed that right fork to Langattock; Stu noticed quite quickly and we rectified that.  In Audax mode, I had soup and apple pie to get me through the final leg  :thumbsup:  That last climb before Chepstow felt like the longest of the day!  But on the flat bits Hippy/Stu was putting in some 35kph stints and I just hung-on.  We were back at the Community Centre just after 1am, and the finish was, inevitably, not quite like those Ironmans I've done!  405km in the bank. 

In the end, it did prove to be considerably more manageable than I'd thought, and again I have to thank Hippy for his company, which made the whole thing much 'easier' than it could have been.  Whilst commitments mean I won't be a regular on the Audax scene, I certainly look forward to another one, hopefully this year at some point.  Thanks again to those who offered me advice in the lead-up to the ride, much appreciated too!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #130 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:11:49 am »
Congratulations Jorgan. Now you've done the hardest one you should breeze through the 200, 300 and 600 to be a super randonneur if only you can find time.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #131 on: 08 May, 2018, 08:14:14 am »
Congrats Jorgan. Where you Team Subaru?

« Reply #132 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:29:50 am »
Congrats Jorgan. Where you Team Subaru?

Ha, yes we were the Subaru Owner's Club! Was it you enquiring about Hippy's Forester at Langattock? (Spec B Legacy way better btw 😋)

« Reply #133 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:57:30 am »
Thanks Mark for a good do.

Wonderful weather and the early morning mists in the Wye Valley were beautiful.  Felt pretty iffy between Llandovery & Tregaron but picked up after that and a good run home from New Quay, arriving in Chepstow at 3AM.

My clubmate Frankie's (not OTP) first Audax and ride >280k.  Apart from buying a new back wheel in Hay (rather unexpected but Drovers Cycles were very good and quickly sorted him) he enjoyed the ride and couldn't get over how green eveything is compared to his native S.Africa :-)

« Reply #134 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:05:26 am »
Was it you enquiring about Hippy's Forester at Langattock?

Twas I!

I ended up staying there far too long faffing around with layers, water bottles etc. I arrived with the intention of a splash-n-dash as I was motoring at that point, but the offer of Treacle Pudding & Custard was just too good to turn down.  ;D

« Reply #135 on: 08 May, 2018, 12:59:04 pm »
I rode the first stage without water but it wasn't too warm then so no drama. Felt a bit wonky at 123k and realised that with no water (or more normally energy drink) I wasn't getting anywhere near enough calories in. Ate everything I had and felt much better. Spent much of the ride with Ironman and audax newbie Jorgan, who smashed it round like I said he would. #hippyisalwaysright
Awesome weather for it. Really enjoyed it. Particularly impressed with the ability to get apple pie at three different controls. Audax definitely needs more apple pie...

« Reply #136 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:04:08 pm »
"Modesty prevented him..."

Are you sure you rode with me? :P

« Reply #137 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:17:20 pm »
Thanks Mark and also Ritchie . Nice to ride with several (including Simon A and SA friend, Graham, John LF, and meet others at controls (eg Tregaron as referred to above). Thanks to all for not enquiring whether I was 'OK' as I grabbed a 'Vorsprung' 30 minutes in the evening sun (18:42 - 19:12) on a grassy bank at the top of the climb out of Llanbydder (I was (fine)). Went better after that. From upthread it seemed, unsurprisingly, the majority found that scenic section from New Quay to Llansawel the hardest: I did (some great views). At Llangattock around 23:20 Peter S alerted me to the likely finish control opening time so grabbed another 45 minutes lie down before finishing off, in company, to the Bulwark letterbox at 2:30am.
Hard luck, Flatus. If you're pulling something at your age goodness knows but you'll be wasted twenty years hence - so ride long and hard while your body allows. Glad you made the most of it by taking the Black Mountain road down to Swansea. Looking forward to that road at the 550k mark during the ACME Grand at the end on June.

« Reply #138 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:41:03 pm »
Pulled it doing yoga, John. Sort of an occupational hazard. Hopefully, it will keep me more mobile than not doing it!

Good to see you, as ever, and thanks for your offer of map-related assistance.

« Reply #139 on: 08 May, 2018, 01:56:57 pm »
the majority found that scenic section from New Quay to Llansawel the hardest

I'm hoping the absence of the word 'least' is your SOH  ;D

« Reply #140 on: 10 May, 2018, 06:08:04 pm »
I am late to the thread, as befits my status as Lanterne Rouge on most of my rides, but distance also lends perspective. I attempted the Brevet Cymru back in 2011 but took the Turn Right from the Talbot Hotel at Tregaron much too literally and ended up on the dreaded road to Beaulah, through the Cambrian Mountains, with 25% ramps and serious suffering. I carried on to Llandovery but without having been to New Quay and it was game over for me although I did ride 375 km in total by the time I tottered into the Arrivee.

This time I vowed to at least follow the route and I was carrying the expectations of my sponsors who had pledged £1,300 on me in support of the Electrical Industries Charity, who had persuaded me to raise £1,000 during 2018.

I decided to use the ride as a fund raising venture, which worked pretty well, most people are over-impressed by the thought of a 400 km bike ride.

I have never ridden an Audax on a sponsored basis and I do not recommend it, it places too much pressure on you because you don't want to disappoint the people who have backed you.

I have never ridden a 400 km Audax successfully (apart from the failure in 2011 I did one of Gavin Greenhow's rides and was 15 minutes over the cut off, mainly because I was guilty of not keeping an eye on the clock).

So I had quite a lot on my mind as we left Mark behind in the car park at the start.

The first section was lovely but it was colder than I had anticipated in the early morning mist, Tintern looked absolutely fabulous but my fingerless gloves led to cold fingers so I stopped to change them and ended up putting my left foot down onto very soft ground and as I sank down I could scarcely unlock my right foot from the pedal and only just managed to avoid an ignominious stationary collapse into the verge.

That disaster averted I got going again and met up with Joe and Sarah from Pembrokeshire and Ivor from Coventry on the GPS route, I was off route on the route sheet route but they took me under their wing to Hay and we nipped along at a good pace.

At Hay there was a fit looking chap carrying his fixie with a horribly distorted front wheel, he was off to Drovers to get it sorted out, does anyone know whether he finished?

I made reasonable speed to Llandovery for the first time, the West End Cafe was awash with bikers and cyclists and I used to supermarket over the road to refuel.

On to Tregaron, the weather was prefect, I was there at 4.20 pm and that was 30 minutes before I arrived in 2011 so I was pleased and started dreaming about a finish within 24 hours.

I watched half a dozen cyclists head down the road on what must surely be the right route so I followed them and lo and behold I was now actually on route!

Roy Bishop had mentioned to me years ago that the section from Tregaron to New Quay had a load of hills and he wasn't joking. That 37 km was tougher than any of the other sections.

It was a relief to arrive at the Mariner's Restaurant and I had donned my rain jacket by then to stay warm in the sea fret which covered the coast and quite a bit of the land.

The 8 mile climb out of New Quay was not as daunting as I had feared although I was in granny gear for the first quite steep bit.

I missed a turning somewhere but my photocopied road atlas got me out of trouble but my Garmin gave me no help, I usually use a route sheet and since the Garmin made no sense (user error probably) I relied on the route sheet until the second visit to Llandovery.

I had made slow progress on this leg, having to stop at each line and check it in my stand light and I began to wonder whether the cafe might be shut by the time I arrived.

I rolled in at 11.50 pm and the lights were on but all the chairs seemed to be upside down on the tables and I feared the worst.

But I should not have worried, the wonderfully helpful girls manning the counter were great, they asked what I wanted and I followed the example of the rider ahead of me, who requested cornflakes and a milk shake, I also had a yoghurt and a coffee and shortbread.

There was a small group of cyclists in a corner so I joined them and at least a couple of them seemed to know what they were doing, talking about their experiences on PBP and other events rather beyond my comfort zone.

There was a young cyclist who arrived shortly after me and as he prepared to set off into the night I suggest that it might be a good idea to tag along with the experienced group, I was keen to ride with a group who possessed at least one functioning Garmin between them.

That was a good move, the experienced group navigated successfully and kept up a good pace - rather too hot for me at times but I hung on because I didn't dare lose them.

We split at one point after a stop as we saw another set of lights coming down the road, they all turned left so three of us retraced and joined the second group, they also knew what they were doing and kept up a good pace.

My only hallucination on this trip came when the white jackets of two of these guys looked just like ships' sails as we went along.

There was a shortage of cheery banter at Llangattock and rightly so since several prone bodies we trying to get some sleep on mats.

I set off alone but linked up with another group in Abergavenny and by this time the sun had risen and the world looked wonderful.

In no time even the climb out of Usk was done and I was rolling into the Bulwark Hall to present my brevet card to Mark and receive his congratulations on managing to follow the route and finish at 7.30 am.

An unforgettable ride, it will live with me for a long long time.

Thanks, as always, to Mark for organising and to the two understanding helpers at the final control and to all the cyclists who rode with me and helped me to finish a ride which stretched me to the limit. 

« Reply #141 on: 10 May, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
Well done, Steve. An epic effort.

The fit looking guy with the fixie and a pringled wheel was Paul Rainbow.  He and I shared the road as for as Crossways where he turned left and me, Vistaed, Nik G and somebody else turned right.

I was quite surprised not to see him at Hay, but that was because his wheel had broken about 6 miles previously.

Unfortunately he wasn't able to get it sorted and ride on.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #142 on: 10 May, 2018, 07:51:32 pm »
I can only marvel at the abilty of some riders to endure sleep deprevation and continue riding for over 24 hours. I was so tempted to try to grab some sleep at llangatock and finish in the morning but the thought of a paid for bed  on chepstow drove me on.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #143 on: 14 May, 2018, 10:25:19 am »
Who was the monster riding in deck shoes?  :o

« Reply #144 on: 14 May, 2018, 06:32:47 pm »
Who was the monster riding in deck shoes?  :o
No idea but he had a very shiny bike

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

LFCC

« Reply #145 on: 22 October, 2018, 03:00:32 pm »
I just stumbled on this old thread while idly thinking about which rides to do next year, and on reading through thought that I had better admit that I was both:

• The Deck Shoe* wearing, Shiny Bike** riding "Monster"
  • The "kind rider" who took pity on iZaP and the other chap and plied them with Gin & Tonic in my van

I apologise to all concerned.

* Five Ten Sleuth MTB Shoes
** My new bike is even shinier