Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625565 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #2875 on: 01 February, 2013, 03:09:26 pm »
What's all this 'man hug', 'man flu' etc stuff? Apart from the original meaning of 'man flu' (i.e. minor cold blown up into a drama), it adds nothing, & in some cases reads to me as if it's meant to imply that there's something not quite right about a man doing or being or having whatever follows the word 'man', e.g. as if men just hugging, without the modifier, is a suspicious activity.

What next? "Ginger flu"? "Black person hug"? "Tall woman love & kisses"?  >:(
I thought it originated with "man flu" as opposed to "bird flu" or "pig flu".

Here, have a nice cup of lesbian tea...
I don't mind if my tea's lesbian as long as it's black. It's caucasian tea I'm prejudiced against...  ;)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2876 on: 01 February, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »
£360 for a set of new headlights? Meh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2877 on: 01 February, 2013, 04:37:15 pm »

;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2878 on: 01 February, 2013, 04:42:19 pm »
I don't mind if my tea's lesbian as long as it's black. It's caucasian tea I'm prejudiced against...  ;)

I think lesbian tea is traditionally served black.  Unless someone's got soya milk, of course...

« Reply #2879 on: 01 February, 2013, 04:45:13 pm »
What's all this 'man hug', 'man flu' etc stuff? Apart from the original meaning of 'man flu' (i.e. minor cold blown up into a drama), it adds nothing, & in some cases reads to me as if it's meant to imply that there's something not quite right about a man doing or being or having whatever follows the word 'man', e.g. as if men just hugging, without the modifier, is a suspicious activity.

I thought it originated with "man flu" as opposed to "bird flu" or "pig flu".
Yeah, but that originally had a specific meaning. It was even (occasionally) used for women who exaggerated the severity of a minor sniffle. It wasn't just flu-which-happens-to-be-afflicting-a-man, which is what it seems to have turned into, & spread to other words.

At this rate, I'll soon be  typing on my man keyboard while drinking my man tea from my man mug, seated on my man chair in front of my man computer.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2880 on: 01 February, 2013, 04:51:53 pm »

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2881 on: 01 February, 2013, 05:40:14 pm »
Am well known for washing my trousers with snot rags still in the pockets. Surpassed myself this time though, there was an entire packet of tissues in my ski jacket  :facepalm:

Kitchen towels don't disintegrate like tissues do.
If your nose has strong skin, using these might forestall much swearing.

« Reply #2883 on: 01 February, 2013, 06:33:42 pm »
What's all this 'man hug',
Really Bledlow, do you never watch anything?
Manhugs/manly hugs are not just between men, they are a style. To whit:
Emotional event, requires acknowledgement, character wraps arm around shoulder of other character, a single thump, maybe two, and then separate.
This is as opposed to the girly greet, where air kissing takes place.

« Reply #2884 on: 01 February, 2013, 06:36:18 pm »

At this rate, I'll soon be  typing on my man keyboard while drinking my man tea from my man mug, seated on my man chair in front of my man computer.

I'm in Man-chester, if that helps?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2885 on: 01 February, 2013, 06:43:16 pm »
moobs

« Reply #2886 on: 01 February, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »
What's all this 'man hug',
Really Bledlow, do you never watch anything?
Manhugs/manly hugs are not just between men, they are a style. To whit:
Emotional event, requires acknowledgement, character wraps arm around shoulder of other character, a single thump, maybe two, and then separate.
This is as opposed to the girly greet, where air kissing takes place.
Sounds even worse.

At least my sister hasn't called my satchel a 'man bag' recently.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2887 on: 01 February, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »
Am well known for washing my trousers with snot rags still in the pockets. Surpassed myself this time though, there was an entire packet of tissues in my ski jacket  :facepalm:

Kitchen towels don't disintegrate like tissues do.
If your nose has strong skin, using these might forestall much swearing.

Kitchen towel is my usual snotrag of choice but I usually end up with packets of tissues when on hollybobs.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #2888 on: 01 February, 2013, 08:05:46 pm »

I have had swordfish in a lesbian sauce. That was how it was portrayed on the menu, but it was in a taverna on Lesbos so I think that's suitably described.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2889 on: 01 February, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »
You may or may not be right, now we will never know and we end up even more uncertain. What you really do need to 'get' though is that a powerpoint full of unsubstantiated emotive rubbish is not the same as a peer reviewed scientific report.

Why is the understanding of the scientific method so wilfully avoided in this country, especially by NIMBYs?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #2890 on: 03 February, 2013, 02:43:30 pm »
Note to self. 
When setting up a wheel to use on the turbo...
  • Put the spacer on before the cassette
  • Make sure you've actually got a spacer in the bits box before you do anything else.
Clot.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #2891 on: 03 February, 2013, 04:52:18 pm »
Woman with young daughter in tow: The Hobbit is a loooooong film. It taxes my powers of concentration. I already had a fidgety 10-year-old with me to distract me. Why then did you arrive two hours into the action and then start eating sweets from what seemed to be the world's crinkliest bag?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2892 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:33:47 pm »
Bloody Teutonic white goods. What is wrong with error messages? Our dishwasher just sits at 1 minute, pretending it has done a wash, when all it really has done is rinse everything in cold water! I should have guessed something was amiss when tld switched the thing on earlier and the trip went!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2893 on: 03 February, 2013, 05:35:54 pm »
When heading out to try and shoot some video and wanting some ambient sound recording at the same time, remember to check the batteries in the sound recorder. Having them die at the start of the session was a bad thing, so I will have to go back to gather the sounds of gurgling brooks.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2894 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »
You may or may not be right, now we will never know and we end up even more uncertain. What you really do need to 'get' though is that a powerpoint full of unsubstantiated emotive rubbish is not the same as a peer reviewed scientific report.

Why is the understanding of the scientific method so wilfully avoided in this country, especially by NIMBYs?

Because it is inconvenient

Because we have a government who have stated they do not believe in evidence-based decision making.

I'm guessing you are narked about a certain planning decision make in Cumbria recently.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2895 on: 04 February, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »
Two actually, one underground and one with big white blades, though that one was the one I was grumbling about.

I don't mind votes going certain ways, to be honest I'm not sure whether I'm in favour or not and it won't affect me really either way, but if they wanted to remove us permanently from the process then voting to allow geological assessment would have been the way to do it.

All the political posturing has done is to allow a certain small group of mainly retired NIMBYs to celebrate, and allow the government to go away and come up with another way of asking the same question and setting this all off again.

When I pointed this out I was linked to an anonymously produced powerpoint with some wild speculation, no actual referenced data and a sprinkling of scare stories that the person I was talking to claimed was the evidence that proved the area is unsuitable.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #2896 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:25:53 am »
My son was given one hundred lines for forgetting his library card yesterday. This makes me cross for two reasons.
Lines were considered pointless forty years ago when I was at school - can't they come up with anything more imaginative? Secondly by the time he had written them, his disgraphia was causing him so much discomfort he couldn't do any of his set homework. Grrr.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #2897 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:29:35 am »
100?

Bloody hell, that is ridiculous. As someone who has always suffered from writer's cramp, I'd have just refused to do it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2898 on: 05 February, 2013, 10:50:34 am »
I've just had my mail delivered all junk mail  >:(which weighed 8oz is this really necessary

« Reply #2899 on: 05 February, 2013, 11:15:38 am »
Two actually, one underground and one with big white blades, though that one was the one I was grumbling about.

I don't mind votes going certain ways, to be honest I'm not sure whether I'm in favour or not and it won't affect me really either way, but if they wanted to remove us permanently from the process then voting to allow geological assessment would have been the way to do it.

All the political posturing has done is to allow a certain small group of mainly retired NIMBYs to celebrate, and allow the government to go away and come up with another way of asking the same question and setting this all off again.

When I pointed this out I was linked to an anonymously produced powerpoint with some wild speculation, no actual referenced data and a sprinkling of scare stories that the person I was talking to claimed was the evidence that proved the area is unsuitable.

I think you need to watch the new series on BBC2  ;) - "The Planners".  The "insight" into local planning committees was, um, interesting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)