Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625620 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #10125 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:10:02 pm »
You can. But after a severe dig around, I couldn't find an option which takes into account that you entered and exited from the same station.
doesnt it automatically cancel if you do that?
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10126 on: 08 July, 2018, 12:36:01 pm »
On a related note, a friend mollusced a tube entry barrier open yesterday evening, only for a fare-dodger to shoot out through the gate in the time it took to wrangle their luggage, causing the gate to close.  At which point the system wouldn't let them touch in again, and they were stuck until a sympathetic member of staff could be located.   >:(

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10127 on: 08 July, 2018, 07:49:38 pm »
David has been trapped trying to get a folded Brompton through barriers.

ian

« Reply #10128 on: 10 July, 2018, 02:56:21 am »
You can. But after a severe dig around, I couldn't find an option which takes into account that you entered and exited from the same station.
doesnt it automatically cancel if you do that?

I'm sure it has for me, it's not exactly uncommon on Southern trains for trains to be cancelled while you wait (it's all part of the service). They do have a email address which they don't advertise.

In other grumbles, dear wife please don't be removing my envelope of US dollars from my travel bag. It's nice they're safely stored in your desk though not entirely useful, that's my stash of universal currency for obscure parts forrin.

« Reply #10129 on: 10 July, 2018, 10:53:43 am »
I didn't actually swipe on my way out, as the man in the uniform opened the gate to let me out.
The system obvs thinks I'm either loitering on one of their platforms, or riding a train....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10130 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:09:01 am »
Someone in the neighbourhood seems to be using last year's chip fat. :sick:
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10131 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:11:05 am »
Dear CFB dev team,  you should have though about ALL the data when you implemented the IRP and you should NOT be asking for more money now so you can do it properly. Oh, and you should have already implemented the user access policy in keeping with the SecPol and not made your own up because it was difficult for the 3rd party suppliers to use. Asking me for money to fix this is not going to wash.
A cynic might suggest that you are just trying to find work to keep your team together between other developments!

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10132 on: 10 July, 2018, 11:12:08 am »
Shirley that'll be FFF (French Fries Fat) ;D

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10133 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:22:01 am »
I am finding it tiresome to discuss matters of O Level Physics on Facebook at 1 am with a chap who allegedly works in the railway industry...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10134 on: 11 July, 2018, 06:34:23 am »
THis weeks plans all to pot.

Next weeks plans rapidly going the same way.  Aberdeen airport on strike on FRiday, replanned the work for the 4th time, can't change my flight.

At least I have a hotel room and can revert to the train if necessary.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10135 on: 11 July, 2018, 08:03:02 am »
Shirley that'll be FFF (French Fries Fat) ;D

Bain-Marie, full of grease, the Lard be with you.

ian

« Reply #10136 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:45:43 am »
I thought the mere expedient of relocating to Hanoi would have excused me the constant soccer ball. Not so. I'm going to the Moon next time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10137 on: 11 July, 2018, 11:03:36 am »
All together now:

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is the man
Of constant soccer...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10138 on: 11 July, 2018, 11:10:16 am »
I am finding it tiresome to discuss matters of O Level Physics on Facebook at 1 am with a chap who allegedly works in the railway industry...
So turn it off!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10139 on: 11 July, 2018, 12:05:02 pm »
So turn it off!

I turned the computer off and went to bed.
Chap now realises he was spouting bollux at 1am.
I think he believed a MAN who put him right.

« Reply #10140 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:12:26 pm »
Why is Radio 4 telling me about the sports ball?  It's supposed to be the last bastion of those of us nerds who were picked last at PE sessions in school.  :'(  If Radio 4 isn't safe, where is?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10141 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:14:56 pm »
The mixed aroma of various foodstuff is currently pervading the office. Why can't people sit in the welfare area, or better still the staff canteen when they eat their lunch.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10142 on: 11 July, 2018, 01:19:12 pm »
Why is Radio 4 telling me about the sports ball?  It's supposed to be the last bastion of those of us nerds who were picked last at PE sessions in school.  :'(  If Radio 4 isn't safe, where is?

s/Radio 4/The Internet/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10143 on: 11 July, 2018, 02:06:52 pm »
I have misplaced the lid of my coffee travel mug.  This is, if not a disaster, certainly a medium-sized annoyance.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #10144 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:18:02 pm »
The mixed aroma of various foodstuff is currently pervading the office. Why can't people sit in the welfare area, or better still the staff canteen when they eat their lunch.
[thirdYorkshireman]
Staff canteen!?  Welfare (welfare!?) area?  Which employment utopia* do you inhabit?
[/thirdYorkshireman]

*No need to answer that; I've seen your posts elsewhere on the less than utopian** aspects of your current situation. :)
**Utopia looks wrong I want to spell it eutopia.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #10145 on: 11 July, 2018, 05:42:22 pm »

I work in a room of self proclaimed "big girls", it constantly stinks KFC & McDs, it's not pleasant

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10146 on: 11 July, 2018, 09:43:43 pm »
[thirdYorkshireman]
Staff canteen!?  Welfare (welfare!?) area?  Which employment utopia* do you inhabit?
[/thirdYorkshireman]

*No need to answer that; I've seen your posts elsewhere on the less than utopian** aspects of your current situation. :)
Did I mention the coffee lounge or the coffee shop? No? Well, there’s also a coffee lounge next to the staff restaurant, and a coffee shop at the other side of site. Oh and a barbers shop and a small WHS 😁 And of course there’s the MT workshop where they will service your car and do an MOT. I won’t mention the sports hall or the Tennis courts though.

« Reply #10147 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:06:23 pm »
[thirdYorkshireman]
[/thirdYorkshireman]

*No need to answer that; I've seen your posts elsewhere on the less than utopian** aspects of your current situation. :-)
Did I mention the coffee lounge or the coffee shop? No? Well, there’s also a coffee lounge next to the staff restaurant, and a coffee shop at the other side of site. Oh and a barbers shop and a small WHS 😁 And of course there’s the MT workshop where they will service your car and do an MOT. I won’t mention the sports hall or the Tennis courts though.

We have an absolutely shite sandwich bar, where you have to wait until the women who run the place deign to come out of their office & take your money.     The days when we had a free staff car park & a subsidised restaurant where you could get a Full English breakfast & 3 course cooked lunch for not much money ended about the turn of the century.  I believe at one stage BT had it's own catering college.....   There is a gym run by the Sports & Social association.  Local motor transport place went long ago.  Can't even borrow power tools from Mechanical Aids these days.... :(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #10148 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:24:10 pm »
I have just been reading about the navvies who built the Woodhead tunnels. The first 400 on site were not even provided with tents. Anyone who knows the area will wonder how they thought the guys would survive. It seems some out there would like us all to return to these working conditions.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #10149 on: 11 July, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »
I thought the mere expedient of relocating to Hanoi would have excused me the constant soccer ball. Not so. I'm going to the Moon next time.
Take me with you, please?  Suit and oxygen preferred but I'd put in no more strongly than that under the circumstances.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.